1,500 Pure WH List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,500 Pure WH List

Well, I put together my list based on the models I already have and have built on top of that. Any advice is welcome, as I have plenty of time between now and whenever I go out and buy the final decesion. Characters or ICs without weapons listed are assumed to have bolters or boltpistol+CC, whichever more useful.

HQ
    -------
    Canoness w/ Rosarius, Jump Pack, Cloak of St. Aspira, Inferno Pistol, Power Weapon
    135 Points

Elite
    -------
    Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor w/ Liber Heresius, Power Armor, Word of the Emperor
    Retinue of two sages, plasma cannon servitor, two heavy bolter servitors
    177 Points

Troop
    -------
    Battle Sisters Squad
    9 Sisters of Battle
    1 Veteran Sister Superior
    Two Storm Bolters
    Rhino APC w/ Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers
    192 Points

Battle Sisters Squad
    9 Sisters of Battle
    Two Flamers
    Rhino APC w/ Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers
    194 Points

Fast Attack
    -------
    Dominion Squad
    5 Sisters of Battle
    4 Meltaguns
    Immolator w/ Twin-Linked Multi-melta, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
    233 Points

Seraphim Squad
    9 Seraphim Sisters
    2 Pairs of Hand Flamers
    244 Points

Heavy Support
    -------
    Retributor Squad
    9 Sisters of Battle
    4 Heavy Bolters
    184 Points

Exorcist w/ Extra Armour
    140 Points

Starting Faith: 7
    Total Models Count: 57

Basic Ideals:
    The Canoness will, unless the situation proves trickier, fly with the seraphim until they arrive at an enemy where Hit & Run will obviously be needed, as the rule does not function with her in the squad.

The Inquisitor's main purpose is to harrass troops and blow up vehicles with 11 armor or below. Banking on the heavy bolters is iffy, but they're little more than back-ups in the event that the plasma cannon misses, doesn't penetrate/glance or fries the servitor. The PC has proven useful in the past against both space marines and necrons, so it's one of my favorites.

The Battle Sisters, obviously enough, are anti-troop and objective gathering. They're mobility, apparent low-threat and numbers will aid in defending spots, all while their bundle of bolter fire at BS4 brings swift justice down upon the enemy.

The Dominion Squad is another anti-tank unit. Most will disagree with the multi-melta on top of the immolator due to it's pricey 20 points price tag, but the fact that's it's twin-linked, 24" and turns glancing into penetrating on strength 8 was enough to talk me into it. If nothing else, it will give the enemy reason to divide it's firepower between the vital units in the army and this vital threat.

The Seraphim will mostly serve as objective gathering, as they often lure enemy fire to the point that rushing out into the open knocks them down to 50% unit strength by turn 3, (or so that's the trend that's happened on my hobby shop's battlefields.) Dodging behind terrain and getting locked into winnable CC is their goal, and the canoness should help out with that endeavor.

The Retributor squad is provide ridiculous amounts of troop-slaying bullets from a distance. Thanks to their 36" range, I can save points on their transport needs. Bigger bullets, better AP and smaller cost than a troop choice of equivalent size makes them a favorite for me. More likely than not they'll be the sucker punch into the enemy's troops or possibly even their transports, should armor 10 show it's hide to me. If possible, this will be positioned far from the inquisitor, thus revealing transports sides to at least one of them, (theoretically,) so I can take a bite out of the usual 10-11 armor that lines their sides.

Lastly, the icon of the Witch Hunters: The Exorcist. No doubt a big anti-tank fire magnet, I hope it can survive long enough to draw fire away from my rhinos and still get some of it's salvo out and into the enemy's faces.

Well, that's the plan so far. Of course, all this dependency on positioning and such is the main reason I had my inquisitor come with a liber heresius.

Last edited by Babel_Matrix; September 6th, 2006 at 20:26.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it looks a good list, but i have one slight problem with it- im sorry, its the dominions.

I ove a immy and im not suggesting you dont tanke one, i am suggesting however that you take a different unit for tank hunting. A unit of 6 celestians with a meltagun and multimelta come to only 103 points and with a immy taken as heavy support or a transport, the total unit comes to only 186 points. This gives you improved range, so you dont have to get so close, and as the unit has only 2 speacial weapons, it will seem less of a target and may survive longer.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh, I wish I liked the Celestians as much as everyone else did.

The Celestians to hunt tanks seems viable, but a multi-melta? Being heavy and all, I'd have to stand still and still be within range of an enemy vehicle to use it effectily. On top of that, the vehicle could move out of the 12" range of the +2d6" penetration rule. But more than anything is that dominions shoot their full salvo right out of the transport, whereas celestians have to sit on their heels for a turn of enemy fire, (which, in worst case scenario, could get them wiped out,) just to HOPE that the one shot they waited for doesn't roll a 1 or 2 to hit. Call me a gun nut, but I'm willing to spend the extra 57 points, (and that's if the immy you listed has the same upgrades, I don't have the codex handy right now.)

But hey, what should I do with the saved 57 points? Every squad can't afford more members, else they're too big for the vehicles they've been assigned.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Hmm, a few tweaks I think could be made, but the basic structure of the list is sound. I'll run down the army by category.

HQ
    That Canoness needs either an Eviscerator or the Blessed Weapon. S3 just does not cut it (literally) in cc. The Rosarius is not the best option for defense. If you need an invulnerable save then use Spirit of the Martyr to give her a 2+ one. She needs frag grenades as well.

Elites
    The OH shooty band is a fair concept. I wouldn't bother with WotE though. There's only a 72% chance of getting it to work, and then most assault troops have Ld9 or 10, so will nearly always pass their test. Since there's always the possibility of your Inq frying his brain on a Daemonic Attack (S6 instakills T3 remember) I really wouldn't use it. A better option for survivability is taking a chirurgeon or two.

Troops
    The Battle Sisters squads need heavy flamers if they're going to do the classic tactic of rush and bail. If you want long range bolter fire then more Retributors are a better bet. Dominions also field stormbolters better as a squad can take five of them.

Fast Attack
    The Dominion squad's great drawback is its fragility. There is only one bolter sister to remove before you start losing the VSS or meltagunners. I think the quad meltagun squad has its uses, but I prefer a 10 strong squad. I know that can waste bolter shots, but it grants a lot more resilience to the squad so you get it back by being able to get off more meltagun shots over the game.

MM Immolators in my opinion are a poor relation to the Exorcist. They're a bit like a wannabe landspeeder, but cost more and have inferior mobility and survivability (skimmers have the glancing hits rule). The best way to use Immo's in my opinion is with twin HFlamers. They're cheap, and the fast move and shoot rule means that in practice they function like a fast vehicle. I take them as transports for small Celestian and Retributor squads.

The Seraphim are OK as they are. There is a school of thought that says the VSS doesn't need a power weapon or Eviscerator, that even Seraphim SoB are so weak in cc that they should concentrate on shooting. I think a power weapon doesn't hurt though. An Eviscerator, while pricey, does have the added bonus of being dangerous to vehicles. I've seen Sera squads carve through the hulls of multiple vehicles with one.

Heavy Support
    The Retribs and Exorcist are fine as they are. Think of adding a second Exo as you expand your army as they do give the Sisters the one thing they lack, long-range AT. In many ways when it comes to inflicting melta hits (Exo's fire melta missiles, not krak missiles), they're better than the Domin melta squads.

One thing you're missing out on, as so many do with their first list, are the Books of St. Lucius. These are very cheap and are excellent for stopping your valuable Sisters from running off. I pass so many out that every squad I have either has one or can keep within 6" of another squad that has one. The small investment in points has been paid back many a time by them.

A final note on escalation. Your army has a mix of footslogger (Retribs and Inq), while the rest are mobile. This can cause problems in Gamma level games. You can find your couple of squads on their lonesome facing an entire enemy footslogger army, or having to slog it up the field to a suitable firing position. Of course if you don't use the escalation rule much this won't be a problem.
    Last edited by hs5ias; September 7th, 2006 at 09:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm away from my codex right now, but I do like many of your suggestions, hs5ias. I'll list the following changes I'm planning, but off the top of my head I don't know if this means I'll have to shave off points.

Cannoness - I'll remove the rosarius, (using the AoF will probably be called on rarely enough that I'm better off relying on it,) but I'm going to have to stick with the power weapon and pistol, as I will be pumping the seraphim squad's strength up anyways, (a tomb spyder taught me what foolishness it is to depend on having 20 more attacks than it with all of them being S3.) I'll give her the grenade package as well, totally slipped my mind at creation. EDIT: It just struck me that the AoF for strength is initiative 1. I'll probably outfit her with an eviscerator.

OH Inquisitor - I'll admit I tacked it on not knowing what to do with 10 points. ^_^;;; Good idea for churigeon, but I'll just throw in one as I recall them being 12 points a head.

Troops - Brain fart. I'll fit the heavy flamer in somehow. The storm bolters were there, admitingly, due to WYSIWYG. I wanted to avoid $10, but at this rate, might as well throw it in with the rest and slap flamer/heavy flamer on them too. On a side note, does WYSIWYG care what army the rhinos come from? My army fluff has them standing as bit of a renegade organization, and I was pondering the idea of buying rhinos from different armies and painting them my color, to signify the scavenger tactics employed by the leaders of my forces.

Dominions- Since I'm pumping up the dominion squad, that turns the immolator into a rhino, (6 max in immy,) which gives back some of the points I'll need to increase the squad into size 10.

Seraphim - I will continue using CC angels, but I will take the suggestion of an eviscerator for the lead lady, helping me insta-kill marines and whatnot.

Book of St. Lucius - The entire army is Ld9+, and the canoness is with the seraphim. How does the Book of St. Lucius aid me?

Escalation and non-Alpha Games - Good advice, however at the hobby shop nearby they almost always stick to alpha. I will have to consider passing out some rhinos in the event they start trying out the different levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

The BoSL benefits you when you have to test for below 50% squads and squads that just got battered in close combat. Since beating on the Sisters in cc is one of the best ways to wipe them out (their Init is only mediocre remember) and there are a lot of assaulty units and armies out there, I find it worth the points.

Also remember that the Canoness will stop the Seraphim using Hit & Run if she joins their squad. This stops the classic Sera tactic of bouncing out of cc at the end of the enemy's assault phase, leaving them exposed to your shooting in your next turn. I just run them separately and pay out more faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what the benefit now, heh. Now I gotta figure out how to shave off the points for the books... *meep*

I'll have to consider the Hit & Run problem and see how to better use/hide my canoness. My head's not too fresh with the 40k rules on shooting at independent characters, (can't figure out if I'm thinking of Fantasy or 40k.) Thank you everyone for all your help!

+ Reply to Thread