guard noob, need help 1200pt friendly starting army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

guard noob, need help 1200pt friendly starting army

recently i've toyed with the idea of starting guard, but i need some help

Imperial guard list:
    Doctrines = chem. inhalers, carapace armor, storm troopers allowed, engine seers, close order drills, grenadiers

Starting army: 1189pt

HQ1:
    (1) senior officer(fluff reasons mainly) = 75pt
    + laser pistol
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 70pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + 1 plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor

(3) heavy weapons teams = 95pt
    + missile launchers

+ missile launchers

Troop1:
    (1) junior officer = 60pt
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 55pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt

Troop2:
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 55pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + vox caster
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar =40pt

just some things to point out. yes, i did infact make my guardsmen Ld 10 with a combination of vet seargents, commisars, and close order drills. plus they don't get negative modifiers and can only be pinned. i tried to steer away from the stereotipical "crap load of lascannons" list and most of my firepower relies on anti personel. i uped the price of my guardsmen to give them better survivabiltiy.

any suggestions on what to change, or where to head next are welcomed. i'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how many guardsmen to field, what would be a good ratio given the points value of a game. 10 guardsmen per 500pt?, 20 guardsmen per 500pt? anyway, its just hard to judge with the IG's strange organization and all...

Last edited by Koss; October 5th, 2006 at 07:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Look, I'll be honest with you straight up. It's a very fluffy list, but a it's a real ****e one that's gonna get kicked in a lot of games. You're paying 30 pts extra per squad!

Quote Originally Posted by alexpape7 View Post
    recently i've toyed with the idea of starting guard, but i need some help

Imperial guard list:
    Doctrines = chem. inhalers, carapace armor, storm troopers allowed, engine seers, close order drills, grenadiers
    That's illegal for a start, you have 6 doctrines where only 5 are allowed. Carapace, Enginseers and Chem Inhalers are all terrible doctrines.

Starting army: 1189pt

HQ1:
    (1) senior officer(fluff reasons mainly) = 75pt
    + laser pistol
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 70pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + 1 plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    Drop the Powerfist down to a power weapon and turn this guy into a Junior officer with an honourifica. Also drop the heavy bolter and plasma gun and buy a standard bearer. Now keep this unit out of LOS

+ missile launchers

+ missile launchers
    You haven't bought Carapace or Chem inhalers for these units which is illegal. Persoannyl I'd do away with both doctrines. Are you sure you couldn't upgrade one unit to Lascannons?

Troop1:
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 55pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    Drop the powerfist and plasma gun

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt
    Drop the Sarge

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt
    You can't have a commissar here. He must be allocated to the most senior officers first.

Troop2:
    + powerfist
    (4) guardsmen = 55pt
    + 1 heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + vox caster
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    Drop the powerfist and plasma gun. Drop Vox caster.

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar = 40pt
    You can't have a commissar here. He must be allocated to the most senior officers first. Drop the sarge.

(10) guardsmen = 116pt
    + heavy bolter team
    + plasma gun
    + chem. inhalers
    + carapace armor
    (1) veteran sergeant
    (1) commissar =40pt
    You can't have a commissar here. He must be allocated to the most senior officers first. Drop the sarge.

just some things to point out. yes, i did infact make my guardsmen Ld 10 with a combination of vet seargents, commisars, and close order drills. plus they don't get negative modifiers and can only be pinned. i tried to steer away from the stereotipical "crap load of lascannons" list and most of my firepower relies on anti personel. i uped the price of my guardsmen to give them better survivabiltiy.
    Carapace and Chem inhalers are waaaaaaay too expensive for their bonuses. Also, the Close order drill bonus should not be used to get LD, only use the Initiative bonus in assault. Unfortunately not having any Lascannons may hurt your day. You certainly have not got enough anti-tank and bunching them all in those two support teams is a very bad choice.

any suggestions on what to change, or where to head next are welcomed. i'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how many guardsmen to field, what would be a good ratio given the points value of a game. 10 guardsmen per 500pt?, 20 guardsmen per 500pt? anyway, its just hard to judge with the IG's strange organization and all...
    You are way too expensive on the upgrades. You need more guardsmen and hopeully some tanks if you can squeeze em in. You don't need that many commissars either.

If you drop Chem inhalers and Carapace you will save 270 pts which is a pretty big number. Buy yourself some more guardsmen and spread your anti tank weapons around. A basilisk wouldn't hurt either.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post

That's illegal for a start, you have 6 doctrines where only 5 are allowed. Carapace, Enginseers and Chem Inhalers are all terrible doctrines.
    my bad, must have miscounted

as for the doctrines, i think i will drop carapace armor but keep the chem inhalers since it is the ceaper of the two. so i guess i'll try to get more guards in there. as for lascannons, i'm a little hesetant becuase i really don't want to focus on anti tank too much. maybe i'll put the odd lascannon in a few squads. i'll use the points saved to get some tanks, and i'll go reread the comisar rules cuase i think i may have misinterpreted them. any way thanx for the help.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

The problem with chem inhalers besides being expensive is that it stops you from running away when you want to by eliminating all negs. Often it's better to have your guardsmen flee from combat so your nearby squads can shoot the enemy dead. Otherwise your enemy will likely break free on his own turn, then allowing him to move and assault again on his turn.

If you want an efficient doctrine that bumps up the power of your guardsmen I would suggest either cameoline or Light Infantry.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Just to add to what triumph has said:

drop the missiles from where they are they are wayyy to expensive for what they do in those small squads. either go lascannons cos they dont get the price hike, or heavy bolters as it is just about worth it. basically change the first squad into lascannons and the second squads swap heavy bolters out of the line squads of one platoon.

Yes you have used commisars wrong. Also with the leadeship. i admit it can be confusing but you cant get leadership 10 unless the commisar kills the officer/sergeant. LD 9 is the absolute max. basically the commisars leadership doesnt ever extend out of the squad he is in (this includes his bonus). close order is used for the squad if you dont use the officers leadership. and generally you will have too many officers to put more than 1-2 commisars in the line squads. If you can find a way of combining the enough commisars vet sarges and chem inhalers thats legal it would be good, do remeber though in close order you will die very quickly, my men usually die before thy have a chance to run away. also the amount of points for ld10 is really not cost effective, when you can get an effect very nearly as good for 5 points. rant over. when you bump this list up to 1500 go for some sentinels, perhaps to fill in your lack of antitank.

anyway cant wait to see the list revision very few mistakes for a starter list.

A

+ Reply to Thread