1850 Radical Daemonhunters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

1850 Radical Daemonhunters

Forgot to put it in the title: This is a friendly list, sort of..

Today a good friend of mine made the move from 40k to fantasy, and decided to give me his entire daemonhunter army. Its ba radical one and actually ends up saving me a lot of money since now I don't have to go and buy my own radical army to work with the red corsairs I've been building recently. On saturday the local gaming store is going to be holding a friendly tournement and I decided that I'd give this army a spin to see how it does.

HQ:
    Inquisitor lord
    Storm-bolter, refractor field, auspex
    -Retinue-
    Warrior with grenade launcher, servitor with heavy bolter (2), sage, familiar, acolyte with storm bolter (2)

*The Tyrant of Badab (master)
    Powerfist, iron halo, bionics, bolter-flamer, jump pack

Troops:
    storm troopers (8 )
    grenade launcher (2)
    Chimera with multilaser and hull heavy bolter, extra armour and smoke launchers

storm troopers (8 )
    grenade launcher (2)

storm troopers (8 )
    plasma guns (2)

Tactical squad (8 )
    Missile launcher, sergeant with powerfist

Tactical squad (8 )
    Missile launcher, sergeant with powerfist

Fast Attack:
    Assault squad (10)
    flamer (2), sergeant with powerfist

Land speeder (2)
    multimelta (2)

Heavy Support:
    Orbital strike- melta torpedo

(* He's expensive, a third more than the commanders I normally build, but I'm going for the tyrant himself so I'm not looking to change him at all.)

Now yes, this list is a far cry from competative and I'm not looking to scrap everything to get there. The inquisitor is a radical, but not a full blown one that uses daemonhosts yet; and being radical he does not have access to the greatest wargear so plasma-weapons and major anti-MEQ weapons are going to be in the minority. (Not much to worry about, the group I play with hardly use any MEQ armies at all, I'm one of the four players with marines, necrons, chaos, or sisters.)

So as a friendly army, how does it look? I'm trying to fit it into my playstyle by making it a hybrid mechanised army. (Roadblock rush, one of the only remaining variants of rhino rush.)

Last edited by darkreever; October 11th, 2006 at 23:48.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I see you are takeing the Melta Torpedo OS. DO you or will you be up against alot of vees? if not you can take the Lance Strike which is 10 points cheeper.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Yes it is, but the melta is good vs armour and infantry and its only a mere ten points more to always get the 2d6 vs armour even if I don't get the hole over the vehicle...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Alright. I was just asking. I go for the insta kill myself. Not that it has happened yet.:wacko: I think the list will be fun to play. If you will give us a SIT REP after useing them.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

It's an interesting list.

I would definitely take a psycannon on the inquisitor over a storm bolter. Especially with the sage BS boost. I think the refractor field and the familiar serve no real purpose in a shooty inquisitorial squad, though. Really, the optimum build is inquisitor w/psycannon (and auspex), plasma cannon servitor, 0-2 heavy bolter servitors, 2 sages, 0-2 mystics. I'd take out the acolyte and other things to get closer to that build. It's relatively cheap, and an immense amount of firepower.

I don't think grenade launchers are a good fit for mounted ISTs. For chimeras, I think plasma is a much better choice. Drive the chimera up and unload some rapid-fire plasma! Much deadlier than GLs. I suppose nothing is stopping you from running the chimeras empty while footslogging the ISTS -- which is the natural role for ISTs with GLs -- but that seems suboptimal.

Otherwise, it's an interesting, reasonably solid list. You may be ruling daemonhosts out (awww!), but I would consider some assassins just for the fun of it. Even a pair or three of DCAs can be fun in radical lists.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Actually I wasn't originally planning on writing them out, but after looking over point costs and dropping one out of three landpeeders I didn't have enough points to fit any daemonhosts or assassins in.

Also note: I don't care what the most point effective, badass, super-anti-MEQ loadout is. I made sure to mention that plasma and anti-MEQ/ no fun layouts were going to be in the vast minority. Its all of what, two of the average types of units you'd see for that kind of thing? (The plasma troopers and the assault squad minus the chaplain.)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    Also note: I don't care what the most point effective, badass, super-anti-MEQ loadout is. I made sure to mention that plasma and anti-MEQ/ no fun layouts were going to be in the vast minority. Its all of what, two of the average types of units you'd see for that kind of thing? (The plasma troopers and the assault squad minus the chaplain.)
    I don't mean to offend. My suggestions have nothing to do with fighting MEQs -- or necessarily making "the most badass" list.

Take the inquisitor. A psycannon is not an unusual piece of wargear for the DH. Why would an inquisitor ever take a storm bolter when he could instead have a psycannon? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's totally fluffy, and a superior option. Win-win!

Same thing with the ISTs with GLs. Plasma is not an unusual weapon, it's more useful in a mounted squad than GLs, and it's not really the "anti-MEQ" connotation that seems to hang around plasma that's behind my recommendation of it. It's the fact that, for the same number of points, it completely disallows armour saves of any opponent, and it can rapid fire! Why would any unit of ISTs that are going to ride around in a tank choose GLs when they could just as easily have plasma, regardless of opponent? Again, I think fluff and tactics go hand in hand here. Of course, for footslogging ISTs, GLs are a very reasonable choice. They can lay down templates while hugging cover, seeking objectives, etc. But they're strange things to use from inside a Chimera.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Whoever said those stormtroopers were going to always be mounted?

I use the roadblock rush tactic; take the available transport, shoot it towards the nearest two pieces of cover it can bottle up and deny the enemy one place it can go through. If the transport is popped while its smoke is used then its stuck in that spot and permenantly bottles the place. (To be honest though, I usually use it for marine rhino's with cc oriented marines in them. However the idea should be able to be modified for stormtroopers.)

As far as fluff, this is an inquisitor and followers that work with what they and their allies (the red corsairs) have on hand. Psycannons and mass plasma are not as easily available when both parties are always on the run and ally or not, traitor marines probably won't trust an inquisitor with their plasma...

On an Island that nobody can find except for those who already know where it is.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, first off. I am assuming that this army is a primarily space marines with daemonhunter allies, seeing as you have the marine hq... Anyway, then if the daemonhunters are allies, you cant get any orbital strike, as its a heavy support choice.

And you're also only allowed 2 allied troops, so thats a stormtrooper squad gone as well...

if you wanted a radical list, that gives you enought points for 3 daemonhosts, i think.

... There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Other way around, I'd have posted this in the marine army lists if it was a marine list. I realize that with the inclusion of a marine HQ this list does nnot appear possible; the people organizing the tournement today have no problem with me using a space marine commander given the fluff of my army. (Why would the Blackheart allow his men to be commanded by a normal human?)

And that was an interesting tournement; one which probably cemented my new radicals and red corsairs working together. (Though I am going to have to figure out what to replace Blackheart with since I'm not supposed to use a marine HQ..)

Took second in the tournement, beating a Farsight enclave (without Farsight) army in secure and control, pulling off only a minor voctory against Alpha Legion in Cleanse, and losing to a Tyranid list consisiting of four gun oriented 'fex's, a flyrant with scything talong, and sixty leaping marine-killer ripper swarms in secure and control. ...Its a bit too hard for most non-close combat oriented armies to chew through two hundred wounds in six turns I am sad to say...
    Last edited by darkreever; October 15th, 2006 at 00:54.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast