Strike Force Death Rain, 1850 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Strike Force Death Rain, 1850

Strike Force Death Rain-

Strike Force Death Rain is a mysterious chapter; there are no imperial logs on their creation, except several inquisitorial foot notes, tying them to the ultra marines and dark angels. No true chapter name exists for them. For many centuries they fought, bearing no chapter marking at all. It was in the 13th black crusade they finally would become known to the emporium once again.

What little is known about them is this: they have honored texts which duty binds both the dark angels and the ultra marines to Strike Force Death Rain. Once every 100 years, Death Rain returns to Ultra Marines and the secretive Dark Angles, to collect supplies and new recruits. They are an entirely space bound fleet.

It is suggested they are crusaders, who travel the stars in search of the enemies of the Emperor, but they hold no ties with the black templars.

They where named by General Creed of the IG, Death Rain, "for they strike like Rain, descending from the heavens, blanketing the land is a storm of Death."

Their tactics are swift and brutal, yet calculated and relentless. They choose to take the fight to the enemy, because of this, their tactics are very different from many space marine chapters. They use several patterns of vehicles not used by other space marine chapters, beyond the standard fleet of ordinary space marine chapters, they employ several ships designed for rapid deployment of drop pods and thunder hawks, as well as land speeders, placed on the front of the ship, the assault launchers allow a much more rapid deployment, then that of the standard space marine battle barge. Secondly, they employ a modified version of the whirlwind, specifically designed for data gathering, increased communication, and increased accuracy with reserve forces. In addition, this vehicle allows the targeting computers aboard the fleet to continue to fire, even after the marines have landed on their target locations, thus orbital bombardment will be coordinated with the marines as they land. The whirlwind has gone through extensive modification to deployed via drop pods, and thus has no crew, as the whirlwind forms its own drop pod, and then transforms into a mobile communication array. This process is assumed to take place the turn before the battle begins.

Land speeders are deployed along side the whirlwinds, they are the first to reach the enemy, and report back on there positions, and call in strikes of space marines, and other units, into deadly accurate positions.

The main force is of course tactical marines, who drop pod on the enemy, with ruthless efficiency, years of drop pod use has seen chapter use little heavy weapons, and many more special weapons, they are considered to have the trait cleanse and purify.

They are driven by an often unquenchable drive for honor, and will stubbornly refuse to retreat, even if it is sometimes in their best interest, to represent this, they have death before dishonor.

Traits-

Cleanse and Purify;
    Death before dishonour;

HQ-

Librarain, 2 wounds, 135;
    Terminator armour, storm bolter, fear of the darkness;
    Terminator command squad, 230;
    4 termintors, 2x AC, drop pod;

Elites-

Dreadnought, 150;
    AC + Heavy Flamer, extra armour, drop pod;

Dreadnought, 150;
    AC + Heavy Flamer, extra armour, drop pod;

Troops-

10 Space marines, 235;
    2 Melta guns, drop pod;
    Veteran sgt, powerfist;

10 Space marines, 235;
    2 Melta guns, drop pod;
    Veteran sgt, powerfist;

10 Space marines, 235;
    2 Melta guns, drop pod;
    Veteran sgt, powerfist;

10 Space marines, 235;
    2 Plasma guns, drop pod;
    Veteran sgt, powerfist;

9 Space marines, 220;
    2 Plasma guns, drop pod;
    Veteran sgt, powerfist;

Fast Attack-

Landspeeder tornado, 80;

Landspeeder tornado, 80;

Landspeeder tornado, 80;

Heavy Support-

Whirlwind, 85;

Whirlwind, 85;

Whirlwind, 85;

Total: 1850

Compostion-
    HQ: 365, 19%
    Elites: 300 16%
    Troops: 690, 37%
    FA: 240, 13%
    Heavy: 255, 14%

Overview-
    49 space marines
    4 termintors
    1 termintor HQ
    8 drop pods,
    3 landspeeders
    3 whirldwinds

Any comments on the army list, fluff, or any other ideas welcome. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; October 13th, 2006 at 00:39.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, lets see, what can i suggest????? apart from maybe needing some anti tank (strange to have a list without any lascannons at all) I must say that this is definatly one of the most well thought out chapters i have seen in a while. Nice balanced list, good fluff, I love it,

Rep for you.:w00t:

SON'S OF TERRA......... Your defeat, its the emperor's will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Talonis View Post
    Ok, lets see, what can i suggest????? apart from maybe needing some anti tank (strange to have a list without any lascannons at all) I must say that this is definatly one of the most well thought out chapters i have seen in a while. Nice balanced list, good fluff, I love it,

Rep for you.:w00t:
    6 Drop Podding Melta Guns and 7 Assault Cannon not enough anti-tank for you?

I presume the LST's will be hiding until the bulk of the 'Pods arrive when they'll move out into the open and shoot?

I used a similar fluff idea for my IG Basalisk as your Whirlwind, its a comms-trailer with powerful antena for communicating with the bombardment fleet. I do like it as a thought.
    Last edited by Silver Wings; October 13th, 2006 at 10:43.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Overall, I think the list looks good and fluffy (i cant stand it when ppl only drop pod like 1 or 2 units, makes no sense, ) anyways, all i might suggest is furious charge for your librarian, and the only concern i have is that when the game starts all you will have is 6 lightly armoured vehicles on the table, and there might not be enough terrain to hide them all, also deep strikers could rip up those whirlwinds (necrons with VoD comes to mind)
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

oncern i have is that when the game starts all you will have is 6 lightly armoured vehicles on the table
    Thats definatly a problem. But i have severial tricks for deployement, such as If i get stuck in a deployment zone with super lower terrain, i can deploy my two of my WWs, diagnoly in the corner, and place two landspeeders behind each of them. The opponent might be able to take out one of them - but unless they are an uber shooty listy list - like tau/ig, i dont think they can muster the range/speed to get shots on the WWs. (hopefully even the lightest of deployment zones would have cover for 1 WW to stay out of LOS, and thus i could hide the 3rd landspeeder right behind it)

Im confident any list that is shooty enough to take them down will probably lose to about 25 tactical marines comming next turn, and 25 more the turn after.

As for enemy deep strikers, that is a concern, because once i land im relatively slow. However, i will be able to deep strike units untill turn 4 normally, thus allowing me to respond to most enemy deep strikers if need be. However, if the opponent is breaking up there army, that boads well for me destorying them peace by peace.

My biggest concern are units like blood letters, even though ill be going second most of the time, that unit has the potential to pop out, and assault me, which i really down like, and dont have enough counter charge stuff to best them, without extream losses.

As for furious charge on the lib, it would be nice, but i dont like that most of the termintors cant strike at initative, and thus would probably be dead against anything uber good in assault.

Any other suggests or conerns?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Whirlwinds

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Any other suggests or conerns?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Forged,

I like the list except for the whirlwinds. My first concern would be that they would be somewhat vulnerable during the first 2 or 3 turns, as they don't have much mobility or defensive firepower to protect themselves with (unlike the Land Speeders, that have no trouble in avoiding threats until the majority of your force lands on the board). My second concern is that when your drop pods do start landing, you're most likely going to try to get as many marines within 12" of your enemy as possible, to shred your opponent with Holy Bolter rapid fire. When you get in close, you will put your own forces in positions that will be vulnerable to the probable scatter of your own Vengeance missiles. As you come to grips with your enemy the whirlwinds actually become less effective as a supporting vehicle. For this reason, Whirlwinds are much better suited to support a defensive scheme of maneuver, rather than an offensive one, which is what you are committed to with a drop pod force.

When selecting the Whirlwind, what is it that you want it to do to support your attack? Destroy enemy vehicles? Probably not. Pin enemy infantry? A few small infiltrating sniper scout squads can do that. Something else that I'm missing? If they don't have a definitive role, then I'd leave them at home.

Everything else is dead on, however. You just can't go wrong with with dropping 50 or so Space Marines within 12" of your enemy.

Best regards,

Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

My first concern would be that they would be somewhat vulnerable during the first 2 or 3 turns,
    Well, on a normal board, i figure i should be able to hide 3 WWs, and 3 landspeeders right behind them.

Whirlwinds firing indirectly will allow me to soften up the enemy without exposing me to enemy fire power, before i land.

Thus only units with great speed will probably be able to hunt down my whirlwinds, or at least thats what im hopeing - in test games (currently only use one WW) the enemy hasent been able to get to me.

Secondly, my 3 landspeeders are probably more then a match for anything fast thats hunting WWs, such as vypers, tau vehicels, ext.

If the enemy infiltrates im in trouble - however infiltrating forces tend to spread out, making my pods much more deadly.

As for scattering ordance, ill simply targets further then 6 inches from any of my marines, if its IG, orcs, or nids, ill except the risk, my power armour will prevent me from taking many losses. However, i intend to only engange half of the enemies army with my drop pods at any one time.

This should give me the other half of the table to bomb - and since it causes pinning it slow the enemies ablity to respond and either counter charge, or run away, both will be made more difficult if units are pinned.

I do agree the whirlwinds are a bit out of place, but i think there merits outweigh there troubles.

Anyforce who tries to go and kill my whirlwinds will have to break there defencive stance, thus leaving them less prepaired to battle against drop pods. The primarry strategy i see used against drop pods is to group a force into a small area, making drop poders fight an entire army, 3 whirlwinds will discourage any bunching up of the enemy.

Finally, i like the whirlwinds mobility, they are an excelent rear objective taker. For example, i might need to drop pod all my space marines to the side of the table, its unlikely they will get very far from where they start, so if the mission was take and hold or secure and control, or posibley even cleanse, i could use my WWs on the last 2 turns to take objectives in safe areas. And thus not have to send any drop pods into less effective areas.

Thanks for the replys, open to any suggestion, still might be convinced to remove the WWs if someone has another unit that they think would do better.

One option would be to add 3 landspeeders and remove the WWs, this would allow me to add a space marine to the last plasma squad to make it a full 10 man squad, that i would like.

However, that would give me 10 ACs, i often field 4 landspeeders with ACs, and people are quick to call AC's cheesy. Not that bothers me to much, but 10 ACs, would mean 2.5 times the cheese crying.

Sure im fielding 7 Acs currently, 1.75 time cheese crys.

anyway, keep those suggestions comming.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; October 15th, 2006 at 02:50.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    The opponent might be able to take out one of them - but unless they are an uber shooty listy list - like tau/ig, i dont think they can muster the range/speed to get shots on the WWs.
    Normally i would agree that unless you are against a shooty list it wouldn't be a problem. But these are very soft skinned vehicles, even a list that combines shooting ans assaulted could fairly easily take them out.

Also, i think SoB would give you problems as well, since your troops will be packed reletively close together once you land, leaving you open for divinely guided flamers.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Normally i would agree that unless you are against a shooty list it wouldn't be a problem. But these are very soft skinned vehicles, even a list that combines shooting ans assaulted could fairly easily take them out.
    Well, I think i should be able to hide 2-3 of them pretty easily, and blast away, the landspeeders will hide as well.

Using indirect fire, i should be fine to my understanding.

Cheers, thanks for the help, Forged.

+ Reply to Thread