1000pt pure DH/GK friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt pure DH/GK friendly

kinda crazy/stupid... an attempt to make GKT work in 1000pts... prolly won't but here's the idea.

HQ - 441
    GM
    GKT x 6
    +Incinerator
    +Auspex

Troops - 200
    BC
    PAGK x 4
    +Psycannon x 2

Troops - 200
    "

Heavy Support - 155
    Dreadnought
    Twin-Linked Lascannons
    Missile Launcher
    Hunter Killer Missile

sum 998

SO that's 15 models big... or small, whatever. Just have PAGK fire from afar with Psycannons, deepstrike GKTs, and dread for anti tank...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Isn't that seventeen infantry and one tank, not fifteen models total?

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of throwing all your eggs in one basket because spending almost half your points on seven models that don't even start on the board is a big waste no matter what army you use.

Sooner or later you'll be getting members who's first few things to say will most definately include not taking the termies in such a small game. (Along with dropping one or both squads psycannons and bulking up to a full squad; but that one is only because each of those psycannons can get you another grey knight and they are about equal if performing the role of shooting or close combat.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

HQ - 441
    GM
    GKT x 6
    +Incinerator
    +Auspex
    To start off your points are wrong with the HQ. It should be 438 not 444. This unit will work good in a 1850 or higher point game. This many GKT in 1000 point game it is not worth it. DH will always be out numbered and doing this makes it even more so. Myself I do not take any GKT in a 1000 point game.

Troops - 200
    BC
    PAGK x 4
    +Psycannon x 2

Troops - 200
    "
    This is illeagle. A PAGK squad has a Justicar leading them not a BC. Like your HQ the points are wrong. With what you have it is 211 not 200.

Heavy Support - 155
    Dreadnought
    Twin-Linked Lascannons
    Missile Launcher
    Hunter Killer Missile
    Your dread is not bad. You do not really need the HK missle. It is a one shot weapon and not really worth the points.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Don't worry!

The Orange Grey Knight Guy is here to save the day!

*rolls up sleaves*

No offence, but that HQ makes me want to kill myself, its so to avoid/tie up its not funny. Not onl does it start in reserve as you'll practically have to DS them, but when they do land, close to the enemy I'm assuming, they will be horribly shot up, more so than useual. Why? because your enemy barely has anything to shoot at anyways, why not have everything shoot at the GKTs. and yeah, they have a 2+ armor save, but I'm sure seeing as you'll be so close to them that you'll have to make more than enough 5+ Inv. saves to ruin your GKT's day. I was playing against Chaos, and he had 5 Termies, all but one died to combined Burst Cannon and Cyclonic Ion Blaster shots (2 kills per weapon) and plus seeing as when you DS your all bunched up, it's just asking for some nice blast and/or flame templates.

now, at 1000 points your model count could easily be at least 30, 3 max PAGK squads, a BC and a Dread and voila, you have a nice solid Troop base, along with some HQ support (not DSing) and a Dread to back your guys up.

It's what I'd do.

Mike

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Having looked at all three of your lists (here's the other two for reference), and reading the other's comments, you won't be surprised to know that I agree with them. And rather than write the same thing three times, I'll just put my comments here.

You're getting too caught up in the shiny bits of the DH army list: GKTs and LRCs, primarily. Playing DH, you already must accept that you will be outnumbered. Knowing this, you have to do everything you can to use what few models you have to apply so much pressure on your opponent that they will have a hard time deciding what to shoot at. Your lists all suffer from the "one obvious target" problem. Once that target is eliminated -- easily -- you will lose the game. Even were you to somehow ensure that one unit's survival, it would come at the expense of the rest of the game, which your opponent would dominate, having no competition from anything you can bring to the table (which is, namely, nothing).

A good rule of thumb for the DH is to not spend more than about 20% of your points on any one unit. If, at that 20% points limit, you can't make a very effective unit, a unit that has a chance of surviving in the wider context of your list, then don't consider that unit anymore. At 1000 pts, you have to bend a little bit (a minimal, 8-model vanilla GK squad is 225 pts), but not that much. At 1000 pts, for instance, there's really no way you can spend 200 to 250+ pts on GKTs or a LRC and expect them to survive, because you then don't have enough points to do anything else. So don't consider them.

Good rules of thumb on your favored units:
    At 1000 pts: no GKTs beyond a BC for your GK hero. Definitely no LRC tank
    At 1500 pts: minimal GKT HQ unit of BC + 3-4 GKT retinue, maybe a psycannon, OR maybe a LRC, but definitely not both, and definitely no GM
    At 1750 pts: you can get both a GKT HQ and a LRC if you really want, but avoid the GM, then; it's either the GM or the LRC, not both
    At 2000 pts: OK, fine, splurge if you must, and take a GM-led GKT HQ and a LRC tank, but keep the retinue down to 3-5 models
    At 2250+ pts: go nuts, and may the Emporer be with you

So what do you do, instead? Fill up on troops. You can't go wrong with 8-10 model strong PAGKs at any points level, nor with 5+ model ISTs melta gun squads in Rhinos, nor with 8+ model ISTs with plasma (footslogging or mounted in Chimera), nor with 8+ model ISTs with grenade launchers. Throw in a couple of dreads, maybe a shooty inquisitor for fire support, ... have fun!
    Last edited by number6; October 23rd, 2006 at 18:27.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Good rules of thumb on your favored units:
    At 1000 pts: no GKTs beyond a BC for your GK hero. Definitely no LRC tank
    At 1500 pts: minimal GKT HQ unit of BC + 3-4 GKT retinue, maybe a psycannon, OR maybe a LRC, but definitely not both, and definitely no GM
    At 1750 pts: you can get both a GKT HQ and a LRC if you really want, but avoid the GM, then; it's either the GM or the LRC, not both
    At 2000 pts: OK, fine, splurge if you must, and take a GM-led GKT HQ and a LRC tank, but keep the retinue down to 3-5 models
    At 2250+ pts: go nuts, and may the Emporer be with you
    This is a good rule of thumb. Thanks number6 for posting this. I think this will help out us that are not to sure on what to or not to bring at certin point levels.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

I know what to add at every point level.

More PAGKs!

But thats just me and my insanity mostly.

Mike

INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i dropped the main concept. new concept in the other 1000 thread (i've made too many threads, wondering if i can get this one deleted).

also

This is illeagle. A PAGK squad has a Justicar leading them not a BC. Like your HQ the points are wrong. With what you have it is 211 not 200.
    it was a fairly obvious mistake, suprised you couldn't figure it out, but everyone makes mistakes. hehe, ironic.
    Last edited by INQ; October 23rd, 2006 at 23:27.

+ Reply to Thread