findings on Dh armies, and an 1850 list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

findings on Dh armies, and an 1850 list.

thoughts/criticism of this list and my findings are welcome.

4 games and 4 wins so far, somehow. 2 against nids (1200/1850), 1 against guard (2000), and 1 against black legion (2500).

I went low on ordo militant/gk models and used all the options in the codex. The ratio of GK to non-GK units looks like it's about 40 percent to 60 percent. In my 2000 list, I have 30 GK models in almost 1000 points, and 70 other models in the other 1000. Synergy is good.

I'm still trying to figure out psycannons on GK squads. very expensive and takes away the PC-carrying models' cc ability. But the trade-off is I get to toss alot of bolts downrange with them in the early game. Against hordes/light infantry armies, it's particularly lethal, and against most others I can force the opponent to come to me b/c they get out-shot. I've played with and without psycannons in my 10-man FA Gk squad, and I prefer to use them without the psycannons. But the overall effect of having another unit or two that can reach out and touch at 36"-- and be as survivable as space marines -- is too tempting to pass up at this point.

on assassins: If I have terminators in the army, I'll usually go with the callidus assassin. if not, I'll go with the eversor. If I've got hte points, death cult assassins are a logical pairing to the eversor. They may cost almost as much as Gk terminators, but since they are fielded with individual models counting as separate units (like oblits), it takes the direct fire of a unit to wound or kill them. Heck of a way to force your enemy to waste firepower.

On long range fire support: This is subjective, but... Up to 2000 points, a 25 man guard platoon with PG/LC all around is sufficient. Anything less IMHO than LC isn't worth it in 1500+. Shooty lord is cost-effective dakka. But a second =I= in an elite slot with 3 HB in a 6 man retinue and psy cannon on the =I= is around 151 points. More fragile and 50% more expensive than putting a pair of psycannons in the 2 GK squads.

On mobility: infiltrating assassins and a coupla squads of storm troopers in rhinos cover bases pretty well. Starting at 1850, I'd say mobile storm troopers are mandatory, and the assassins are a plus. My FAGK squads can teleport, but in practice, they're much better off on the ground

Here's my 'finalized' 1850 list. I can't figure out why most DH players I know go straight GK only. IMHO, it makes about as much sense as taking a grot army. LOL.

1850 DH

HQ
    1 =I= Lord [PC + Psychic Hood + Emporer's Tarot] (110) + Retinue [1 PC Servitor, 2 HB Servitors, 2 Sages, 2 Mystics] (127)
    Total 237

Elite
    3 Death Cult Assassins (120)
    1 Eversor (95)
    Total 215

Troops
    1 IG Platoon (265)
    Platoon HQ [PG, LC] (75)
    Squad 1 [PG, LC] (95)
    Squad 2 [PG, LC] (95)
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120) + =I= Rhino [S + EA] (5
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120)
    Total 741

FA
    1 FAGK Squad [Justicar, 7 Troopers, 2 PC] (325)
    Total 650

87 infantry + 2 vehicles

Total 1843

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out psycannons on GK squads. very expensive and takes away the PC-carrying models' cc ability. But the trade-off is I get to toss alot of bolts downrange with them in the early game. Against hordes/light infantry armies, it's particularly lethal, and against most others I can force the opponent to come to me b/c they get out-shot. I've played with and without psycannons in my 10-man FA Gk squad, and I prefer to use them without the psycannons. But the overall effect of having another unit or two that can reach out and touch at 36"-- and be as survivable as space marines -- is too tempting to pass up at this point.
    I used to only like my GK squads Vanilla, with no upgrades, but am finding that the Psycannons are nice for putting a lot of firepower out there. Even on my DS squads, it is usefull as they can pop tank side armor, and have to shoot before they can assault.

on assassins: If I have terminators in the army, I'll usually go with the callidus assassin. if not, I'll go with the eversor. If I've got hte points, death cult assassins are a logical pairing to the eversor. They may cost almost as much as Gk terminators, but since they are fielded with individual models counting as separate units (like oblits), it takes the direct fire of a unit to wound or kill them. Heck of a way to force your enemy to waste firepower.
    I haven't used Death Cults, but find that an Eversor or a Callidus (with Improved Comms somewhere else in my list) can be very effective. I am preferring the Eversor now, only because he is dual purpose Tanks/Troops.
    On long range fire support: This is subjective, but... Up to 2000 points, a 25 man guard platoon with PG/LC all around is sufficient. Anything less IMHO than LC isn't worth it in 1500+. Shooty lord is cost-effective dakka. But a second =I= in an elite slot with 3 HB in a 6 man retinue and psy cannon on the =I= is around 151 points. More fragile and 50% more expensive than putting a pair of psycannons in the 2 GK squads.
    Couldn't agree more, you took it right out of my thoughts. Most GK players recommend the Elite =][=, but I like the Lord because of Iron will. LD8 is not good enough for me.
    On mobility: infiltrating assassins and a coupla squads of storm troopers in rhinos cover bases pretty well. Starting at 1850, I'd say mobile storm troopers are mandatory, and the assassins are a plus. My FAGK squads can teleport, but in practice, they're much better off on the ground
    I've found that a 6man PAGK squad with two Psycannons and an Elite =][= with Psycannon (that sits behind ) are worth it, and I only like one IST squad (2PG in a Chimera) for my other troop choice.
    HQ
    1 =I= Lord [PC + Psychic Hood + Emporer's Tarot] (110) + Retinue [1 PC Servitor, 2 HB Servitors, 2 Sages, 2 Mystics] (127)
    Total 237

Elite
    3 Death Cult Assassins (120)
    1 Eversor (95)
    Total 215

Troops
    1 IG Platoon (265)
    Platoon HQ [PG, LC] (75)
    Squad 1 [PG, LC] (95)
    Squad 2 [PG, LC] (95)
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120)
    Total 741

FA
    Total 650

87 infantry + 2 vehicles

Total 1843
    Not a bad list. I would rather have a Dread than the Death cults I think, but nice list.

I might exchange one of FAGK squad for a squad of 5 Termies with two Psycannons. You will get a slightly less shooty squad, but a more effect CC squad for 25less points.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost my damn codex, but can you field FAGK without a GK hero? I remember you needing to field a GK hero to field Gk's.

He's coming for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MasokisticAngel View Post
    Lost my damn codex, but can you field FAGK without a GK hero? I remember you needing to field a GK hero to field Gk's.
    You don't need a GK Hero to field any GK infantry at all, PA or FA. The only thing that requires a GK Hero is the use of GK vehicles (Dreadnought, LR, LRC).

+ Reply to Thread