findings on Dh armies, and an 1850 list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    18 (x1)

    findings on Dh armies, and an 1850 list.

    thoughts/criticism of this list and my findings are welcome.

    4 games and 4 wins so far, somehow. 2 against nids (1200/1850), 1 against guard (2000), and 1 against black legion (2500).

    I went low on ordo militant/gk models and used all the options in the codex. The ratio of GK to non-GK units looks like it's about 40 percent to 60 percent. In my 2000 list, I have 30 GK models in almost 1000 points, and 70 other models in the other 1000. Synergy is good.

    I'm still trying to figure out psycannons on GK squads. very expensive and takes away the PC-carrying models' cc ability. But the trade-off is I get to toss alot of bolts downrange with them in the early game. Against hordes/light infantry armies, it's particularly lethal, and against most others I can force the opponent to come to me b/c they get out-shot. I've played with and without psycannons in my 10-man FA Gk squad, and I prefer to use them without the psycannons. But the overall effect of having another unit or two that can reach out and touch at 36"-- and be as survivable as space marines -- is too tempting to pass up at this point.

    on assassins: If I have terminators in the army, I'll usually go with the callidus assassin. if not, I'll go with the eversor. If I've got hte points, death cult assassins are a logical pairing to the eversor. They may cost almost as much as Gk terminators, but since they are fielded with individual models counting as separate units (like oblits), it takes the direct fire of a unit to wound or kill them. Heck of a way to force your enemy to waste firepower.

    On long range fire support: This is subjective, but... Up to 2000 points, a 25 man guard platoon with PG/LC all around is sufficient. Anything less IMHO than LC isn't worth it in 1500+. Shooty lord is cost-effective dakka. But a second =I= in an elite slot with 3 HB in a 6 man retinue and psy cannon on the =I= is around 151 points. More fragile and 50% more expensive than putting a pair of psycannons in the 2 GK squads.

    On mobility: infiltrating assassins and a coupla squads of storm troopers in rhinos cover bases pretty well. Starting at 1850, I'd say mobile storm troopers are mandatory, and the assassins are a plus. My FAGK squads can teleport, but in practice, they're much better off on the ground

    Here's my 'finalized' 1850 list. I can't figure out why most DH players I know go straight GK only. IMHO, it makes about as much sense as taking a grot army. LOL.

    1850 DH

    HQ
    1 =I= Lord [PC + Psychic Hood + Emporer's Tarot] (110) + Retinue [1 PC Servitor, 2 HB Servitors, 2 Sages, 2 Mystics] (127)
    Total 237

    Elite
    3 Death Cult Assassins (120)
    1 Eversor (95)
    Total 215

    Troops
    1 IG Platoon (265)
    Platoon HQ [PG, LC] (75)
    Squad 1 [PG, LC] (95)
    Squad 2 [PG, LC] (95)
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120) + =I= Rhino [S + EA] (5
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120) + =I= Rhino [S + EA] (5
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120)
    Total 741

    FA
    1 FAGK Squad [Justicar, 7 Troopers, 2 PC] (325)
    1 FAGK Squad [Justicar, 7 Troopers, 2 PC] (325)
    Total 650

    87 infantry + 2 vehicles

    Total 1843


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    durus Diggums Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Victoria B.C
    Posts
    2,578
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

    Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out psycannons on GK squads. very expensive and takes away the PC-carrying models' cc ability. But the trade-off is I get to toss alot of bolts downrange with them in the early game. Against hordes/light infantry armies, it's particularly lethal, and against most others I can force the opponent to come to me b/c they get out-shot. I've played with and without psycannons in my 10-man FA Gk squad, and I prefer to use them without the psycannons. But the overall effect of having another unit or two that can reach out and touch at 36"-- and be as survivable as space marines -- is too tempting to pass up at this point.
    I used to only like my GK squads Vanilla, with no upgrades, but am finding that the Psycannons are nice for putting a lot of firepower out there. Even on my DS squads, it is usefull as they can pop tank side armor, and have to shoot before they can assault.

    Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    on assassins: If I have terminators in the army, I'll usually go with the callidus assassin. if not, I'll go with the eversor. If I've got hte points, death cult assassins are a logical pairing to the eversor. They may cost almost as much as Gk terminators, but since they are fielded with individual models counting as separate units (like oblits), it takes the direct fire of a unit to wound or kill them. Heck of a way to force your enemy to waste firepower.
    I haven't used Death Cults, but find that an Eversor or a Callidus (with Improved Comms somewhere else in my list) can be very effective. I am preferring the Eversor now, only because he is dual purpose Tanks/Troops.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    On long range fire support: This is subjective, but... Up to 2000 points, a 25 man guard platoon with PG/LC all around is sufficient. Anything less IMHO than LC isn't worth it in 1500+. Shooty lord is cost-effective dakka. But a second =I= in an elite slot with 3 HB in a 6 man retinue and psy cannon on the =I= is around 151 points. More fragile and 50% more expensive than putting a pair of psycannons in the 2 GK squads.
    Couldn't agree more, you took it right out of my thoughts. Most GK players recommend the Elite =][=, but I like the Lord because of Iron will. LD8 is not good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    On mobility: infiltrating assassins and a coupla squads of storm troopers in rhinos cover bases pretty well. Starting at 1850, I'd say mobile storm troopers are mandatory, and the assassins are a plus. My FAGK squads can teleport, but in practice, they're much better off on the ground
    I've found that a 6man PAGK squad with two Psycannons and an Elite =][= with Psycannon (that sits behind ) are worth it, and I only like one IST squad (2PG in a Chimera) for my other troop choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverchargeThis! View Post
    HQ
    1 =I= Lord [PC + Psychic Hood + Emporer's Tarot] (110) + Retinue [1 PC Servitor, 2 HB Servitors, 2 Sages, 2 Mystics] (127)
    Total 237

    Elite
    3 Death Cult Assassins (120)
    1 Eversor (95)
    Total 215

    Troops
    1 IG Platoon (265)
    Platoon HQ [PG, LC] (75)
    Squad 1 [PG, LC] (95)
    Squad 2 [PG, LC] (95)
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120) + =I= Rhino [S + EA] (5
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120) + =I= Rhino [S + EA] (5
    1 =I= ST Squad [Sgt, 7 HG, 2 PG] (120)
    Total 741

    FA
    1 FAGK Squad [Justicar, 7 Troopers, 2 PC] (325)
    1 FAGK Squad [Justicar, 7 Troopers, 2 PC] (325)
    Total 650

    87 infantry + 2 vehicles

    Total 1843
    Not a bad list. I would rather have a Dread than the Death cults I think, but nice list.

    I might exchange one of FAGK squad for a squad of 5 Termies with two Psycannons. You will get a slightly less shooty squad, but a more effect CC squad for 25less points.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    3 (x1)

    Lost my damn codex, but can you field FAGK without a GK hero? I remember you needing to field a GK hero to field Gk's.

    He's coming for you...

  5. #4
    Son of LO mEGALOMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cranston, RI
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by MasokisticAngel View Post
    Lost my damn codex, but can you field FAGK without a GK hero? I remember you needing to field a GK hero to field Gk's.
    You don't need a GK Hero to field any GK infantry at all, PA or FA. The only thing that requires a GK Hero is the use of GK vehicles (Dreadnought, LR, LRC).

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts