Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum so thought I should say hello to one and all. I have rcently gotten into Warhammer 40k and loved the fluff for the Inquisition so have started an army of daemonhunters. I already have 500pts of troops and have played a few practice games with a friend - much of which was spent trying to remember all the rules and how they work - but you gotta start somewhere . Anyway I was thinking of scaling up to 1000pts and thought I should post my proposed army list along with a few questions that I have.
Brother-Captain (no upgrades or retinue)
Inquisitor + Power Armour + Bolter
Gun-Servitor + Heavy Bolter
Gun-Servitor + Heavy Bolter
Vetran Guardsman + Grenade Launcher
9 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers + 2 Plasma guns
9 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers + 2 Meltaguns + Rhino
8 Grey Knights (including Justicar)
8 Grey Knights (Including Justicar)
Dreadnought + Assault Cannon + Extra Armour + Smoke Launchers
TOTAL of 1000pts exactly
1) Do I have enough armour? I'm worried about lascannons etc subjecting my Rhino/Dreadnought to a lot of high strength firepower as they are the most obvious targets for such weapons.
2) Do grenade launchers (one in the inquisitors retinue) work that well? It seems template attacks look good in the rulebook but the stats for the grenade launcher aren't great.
3) How should I deploy my Brother-Captain? If I deepstrike him he has to go by himself which is very risky and if I leave him with the Stromtroopers then he may not do very much. Should I deepstrike just one unit of FAGK and footslog the other with the BC?
4) If I save 10pts from somewhere I could get the Dreadnought a Missile Launher instead of the DCCW. How have people fared with the AC/ML combo? I know they have very different ranges but I was thinking that frag missiles combined with assault cannon fire could work well at mowing-down infantry.
5) What have I missed? I sure that there's something that my army may not do very well at or might have missed altogether so please could you let me know what it is.
Thanks in advance for you advice/replies
Nice first post, welcome!
Your list is good, just needs some tweeking.
I will probably answer your questions with the following recommendations:
1> Give the inquisitor a Psycannon with no retinue and give the BC a Psycannon. Put both of these guys with or behind the IST Plasma squad, and you have a hell of a firebase, as well as saving points. They are both independant characters and cannot be targeted in shooting!
2> Make your Melta IST squad 8 (even numbers are better in 40k) and make your Plasma IST squad 10. Give your Rhino smoke and Extra armor, a must IMO for Rhinos.
3> Your FAGK squads are lovely! If you have any points (which I don't think you do), make these 10 men each.
4> In smaller games, I like the TL Lascannon and ML combo (with smoke and EA) for my Dread. The AC Dreads have to get too close to the enemy, and usually don't do enough. The range of the lone Dread with TLLC/ML is good. Hide him behind cover until it is his turn to shoot, and he usually kills or does damage to something his first shooting phase.
For 1000pts your armor is fine. Just make sure all have smoke and EA.
Don't bother with Power Armor on your =][=. Give an Elite =][= artificer armor or nothing.
I don't like Grenade Launchers at all . If you have points make your =][='s retinue: 2 x HB Servitors, 1 Plasma Cannon Servitor, 2 Sages and 1 or two Mystics.
I also prefer a Lord =][= for his Iron Will, but is not universally accepted by good DH generals.
Welcome to L.O. and keep posting!
Last edited by Diggums Hammer; November 1st, 2006 at 14:39.
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
Just a few reinforcements of Diggum's most excellent advice. I agree with him that your list is pretty solid, and needs only minor adjustments.
Also, a pair of sages would be a better investment than the vet guardsman. Give your inquisitor a better BS, and get a reroll, too!Extra armour and smoke are not optional on your vehicles! Also, you can get more utility out of the melta squad if you're willing to sacrifice some bodies. ISTs that rush up to the enemy are essentially suicide squads, and should be played that way, too. Don't spend too many points on them, don't worry about keeping them large. That said, a very handy upgrade -- especially since you have a couple of potentially deep-striking squads -- is to take a vet sgt with a teleport homer, but no other wargear! (A weakling IST is nothing to be frightened of, no matter how much wargear you buy for him. Better to spend the points on more GKs.) Run these guys up to a target, pop it open, then call down the GK pain right where you'll be needing it most.Originally Posted by Inquisitor Soulflayer
ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014