1700 Pt Marine list: Need advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1700 Pt Marine list: Need advice

Hey guys.
    This is my 1700 point list, or at least it's trying to be. Currently I'm 34 points over and I wanted your opinions on solutions to the problem and general thoughts on the list itself.

Troops

10 Space Marine Tactical Squad
    Frag Grenades
    Meltagun
    Sargent with Power Fist
    Drop Pod
    =230

10 Space Marine Tactical Squad
    Frag Grenades
    Plasma Gun
    Sargent with Plasma Pistol
    Drop Pod
    =225

HQ

Chaplain – Master of Sanctity
    Terminator Honours
    Space Marine Bike
    Artificer Armor
    Bolt Pistol
    Frag Grenades
    =167

Elites

5 Space Marine Bike squadron
    Flamer
    Flamer
    Sargent with Power Fist, Combat Shield and Bolt Pistol
    Multi-melta Attack Bike
    Furious Charge
    Expert Riders
    =298

10 Space Marine Veterans
    CC Equipped
    Furious Charge
    Sargent with Powerfist
    =210

Heavy Support

120 Predator Annihilator
    Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    =135

125 Vindicator
    Power of the Machine Spirit
    Extra Armor
    Smoke Launchers
    =163

Land Raider Crusader
    Smoke Launchers
    =268

==1696

There's a few options that come to mind. Replace the CC Vets with normal CC Marine troops. That'll give me 60 points back and put me under 1700 in exchange for losing the Furious Charge and the Lightning Claws. I could also take the Frag Grenades off the two Drop pod squads giving me 20 points back which isn't that much of a problem since my CC squad and Bikes will be doing much of the assaulting.
    Any other suggestions?

Last edited by TacJack; November 6th, 2006 at 02:46. Reason: Altered point costs due to recomendations
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Everything is very expensive, lots of things with to much wargear.

LRC/Vindis arent for compedative games, if thats what your looking for.

If your interested in drop pods, see my sig, rule of thump is to drop pod at least 4 or more squads, or none at all.

What are your traits..?

Be swift as the wind +?

Generally, your army is two elite, try to keep things as inexpensive as possible, give each squad a mission.

Peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

34 points over, huh?

I'd suggest losing the lightning claws. They're the lion's share of the points you're over.

After that, the smoke from the pred for two reasons- first, you ideally want this guy shooting every turn and it doesn't really have the armor to just roll up in the middle, pop smoke, and have some real staying power, and secondly, all of it's weapons are fairly long range anyways. With some maneuvering, you should be able ti keep it out of trouble.

For the last point, maybe drop the frags on your chaplain. I don't see that he is a skilled rider, so you probably don't want him assaulting stuff in cover and taking the chance on crashing anyways.

Lightning claws + smoke launchers on the pred + the frags from the chaplain = 34.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forged
    Well, I play usualy heavy Elite armies, that's just my thing that fits well with my tactics. And if you believe me, I actualy cut some of the wargear out. :p
    What would be your suggestions as to what I would drop if I was looking to lessen the ammount of wargear?

My Traits are indeed Be Switft as the Wind with a drawback of Death Before Dishonour.

This is a list generaly for fun but I am exploring into the compeditive area so I'm just experimenting. Besides, Vindies and LRCs are fun. ^^

I have read your tactica and it's a good read howerver I'm at a loss on how to get my troops into the front lines of my enemy easily without using drop pods. I don't have enough points for Rhinos or Rasorbacks (nor the models for that matter) and walking them up the field will get them left behind by my LRC and the Bike squad. Suggestions?

Deadmarsh
    Good idea about the Preditor, I see what you're saying.

Loose the Lightning claws eh? Well I suppose 27 normal attacks at S5 would be enough...
    But they're so cool! Good idea there too though. Maybe I'll include them in my 2000 point list.

Actualy, ICs get a reroll of Dangerous Terrain by default so I didn't need the Skilled Riders skill and I usualy do assault into cover so I don't want to leave my Chappy out in the cold.
    I could take the Smokes off the Vindie instead but that would leave it vulnerable against any heavy weapons if I'm still out in the open during the opponents turn say if I'm running forward to get to some cover.
    What do you think? Anywhere else I can shave off a point or would it be all right to leave it one point over?
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Power of the Machine Spirit is 35 points right? Don't have the codex on hand at the moment, so I can't be certain. If so, drop that then. The chances of you getting to use the BS2 shot are pretty slim.

I also agree that you should drop the LC Marine as well. At Str 5 on the charge, your going to be wounding on 2's and 3's on most things, so the rerolling to wound isn't that big a deal.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by TacJack View Post
    Deadmarsh
    Good idea about the Preditor, I see what you're saying.

Loose the Lightning claws eh? Well I suppose 27 normal attacks at S5 would be enough...
    But they're so cool! Good idea there too though. Maybe I'll include them in my 2000 point list.

Actualy, ICs get a reroll of Dangerous Terrain by default so I didn't need the Skilled Riders skill and I usualy do assault into cover so I don't want to leave my Chappy out in the cold.
    I could take the Smokes off the Vindie instead but that would leave it vulnerable against any heavy weapons if I'm still out in the open during the opponents turn say if I'm running forward to get to some cover.
    What do you think? Anywhere else I can shave off a point or would it be all right to leave it one point over?
    I hear ya on the LCs. They make for a really cool model. I don't know, maybe I just had bad luck with them, but the games I used them in they didn't do much for me.

I think the problem is, SMs already have a relatively high strength, so having the wound re-roll against small stuff isn't really necessary and with the high strength stuff, I just wished I would've brought a powerfist for the same points. True, you don't lose the initative with the LCs, but if you just use one you don't get the extra attack, etc. etc.

I don't know. I'm not hot on them right now, and since you were around 30 points over, I figured that'd be a good place to start.

I didn't know ICs get to re-roll their terrain tests. I don't get as much mileage out of my characters because I play Aspire to Glory. Knowing that, and reading the rest of your post, yeah, don't lose the chaplain's frags. I wouldn't lose the vindicator's smoke though as it has to get a lot closer than the pred to do much. And definitely don't lose PotMS on the vindi- it's what makes the vindi worthwhile.

I don't know man. How much would it break your heart to lose that plasma pistol off of the second tac sgt.? That's about the only thing I see that you could change and not have to do radical restructuring to the rest of the list.

As to having your list be one point over... a lot of folks will say "it's only a point," and to be honest, I'd still play you even if you were a point over, but look at what a point can get you.

Your chaplain gets to attack simultaneously with a unit in cover instead of going last.

-or-

Your chaplain gets to take a shot on the way in and your chaplain gets to have an extra attack in close combat, plus a re-roll if necessary in the first round of that combat.

-or-

Your first tac squad attacks at the same time as the unit their assaulting in cover.

-or-

Your second tac squad attacks at the same time as the unit their assaulting in cover.

...and so on.

So yeah, I'd still play you, but I wouldn't use a list that's even a point over. Even one little point can make a big difference in a game. Of course, that's just me. I also don't proxy, only play with at least table quality (three colors) models, WYSIWYG, etc. Part of it is I just don't want there to be any excuses if I win the game, and part of it is I try to be as sporting as I can. My opponents appreciate it, and the end result is I usually have to put up with proxying, unpainted minis, "oh, this guy has a bolt pistol, but it's really a plasma pistol", and all that kind of thing less than normal.

I hope that didn't sound preachy, I just was trying to answer your question about being a point over.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

I don't have enough points for Rhinos or Rasorbacks (nor the models for that matter) and walking them up the field will get them left behind by my LRC and the Bike squad. Suggestions?

infiltrate.

Well, I play usualy heavy Elite armies, that's just my thing that fits well with my tactics.
    Yes it is easier to play with units that can take on anything, but its less effective in compedative play.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Djones9916
    Actualy Djones, since the Vindicator's Demolisher Cannon is a template ordnance weapon, the BS of the PotMS doesn't matter. With something that big, aiming really doesn't come into play.

Good point on the LCs though.

DeadMarsh
    I see your point on the LC, you're two for two.

As for the Plasma Pistol, you're not going to believe this, I went through the wargear section looking for something else I could equip him with and saw my mistake. I actualy used the point cost for a model with multiple wounds rather than the point cost for single wound models like my Sargent is. So instead of being a point over, I'm actualy Four points under!
    Lets hear it for dumb luck! :rolleyes:
    (I've edited my list to reflect the changes made.)

And I understand completely, you weren't preachy at all.

Forged
    That's the thing with Infiltrate, to get that on regular squads, I'd have to take a second Trait to allow that and in return, take a Major Drawback. Though, since all three of the Major Drawbacks would bring me more harm than the good of infiltrating my troops would give, I'm going to have to stick with my two Drop pods and see how things go.

Yes it is easier to play with units that can take on anything, but its less effective in compedative play.
    Ah, that's the challenge isn't it?
    The main reason I took an Elite army is so that I'm always battling the odds.
    Last edited by TacJack; November 6th, 2006 at 02:53.
    Bring out the Bikes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

That's the thing with Infiltrate, to get that on regular squads, I'd have to take a second Trait to allow that and in return, take a Major Drawback. Though, since all three of the Major Drawbacks would bring me more harm than the good of infiltrating my troops would give, I'm going to have to stick with my two Drop pods and see how things go.
    None of your selections would be effected by aspire to glory.

Ah, that's the challenge isn't it?
    If you take it that way.

The main reason I took an Elite army is so that I'm always battling the odds.
    Any army battles the odds, if you want an effective army, thats fine, if you dont, that your choice as well. Although I think battleing the opponent is funer.

If you want a more effective army, youd have some major hoverhauling to do. If you want what you have now, then it looks like to me, youve already got it.

So yeah, I'd still play you, but I wouldn't use a list that's even a point over.
    Thats why both players agree to a 5 point slush, or not. If you want more compedative play, typically one does not play with slush, for a friendly game, who cares if hes got frags.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

+ Reply to Thread