Raven Guard army - 1490 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven Guard army - 1490

Hi

This is my first Space Marine list, I've looked online at lots of advice and this seems a reasonable list I think. I know I'm low on anti-tank, but hopefully the Terminators and Devastators will cover me.

Raven Guard

HQ
    Kayvaan Shrike (175)

Elites
    Terminator Squad (5) (255)
    Assault cannons x 2, tank busters

Troops
    Scouts (7) (156)
    Sniper rifles (6), missile launcher

Scouts (5) (77)
    Heavy bolter, bolters, auspex

Fast attack
    Assault Squad (10) (292)
    Terminator honours, flamers x 2, power fist, furious charge

Assault Squad (10) (290)
    Terminator honours, plasma pistols x 2, power fist, furious charge

Landspeeder (80)
    Heavy bolter, assault cannon

Heavy
    Devastator Squad (5) (165)
    Missile launcher, lascannon x 2

Total: 1490

Any suggestions for how I can improve the list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
    Hi

This is my first Space Marine list, I've looked online at lots of advice and this seems a reasonable list I think. I know I'm low on anti-tank, but hopefully the Terminators and Devastators will cover me.

Raven Guard

HQ
    Kayvaan Shrike (175)
    Does Shrike have a points value you have to meet before he can be used? I'm asking here- I can't remember. In any case, 1,490 is kind of a low number to be using special characters, but if you're careful, he could end up being a difference maker in a game this size. It's risky, but try a game or two with him if he can be in a list this low and see how it goes for you.

Elites
    Most folks will tell you Terminators in a game this small is a bad idea, but I've had some luck with them at the 1,500 level for that very reason- a lot of folks don't expect something like this in a game this small and aren't equipped to deal with it. This is just my personal experience, and it is a very expensive unit, so take that for what it's worth, but I find there isn't that much AP 2 stuff in 1,500 lists.

Troops
    Scouts (7) (156)
    Sniper rifles (6), missile launcher
    For the points, you could afford a fairly good sized and well equipped tactical squad here. Throw in a lascannon and you've got some of your anti-tank problem solved.

Also, you may find as you play a few games that sniper rifles are one of those things that look better on paper than they really are. Six of them is just on the borderline of being effective against most units. Seven would be better, but as I say, I think you're better off with a tactical squad for the points in this list.

Scouts (5) (77)
    Heavy bolter, bolters, auspex
    Check your codex here- you can't give the scout sgt. an auspex without first giving him terminator honors. Other than that, it's a cheap unit that can do some harrasment damage. Smart deployment will be key to this unit making it's points back and not getting rushed off the table in the first round or two.

Fast attack
    Assault Squad (10) (292)

Assault Squad (10) (290)
    Assault squads become exponentially more efficient when led by a chaplain. I assume you're going to be paring one of these groups up with Shrike, but what of the other one? Again, I'd suggest considering losing one of these groups and adding in a tactical squad and for the points, another LST.

Landspeeder (80)
    Good.

Heavy
    Devastator Squad (5) (165)
    Missile launcher, lascannon x 2
    Although pairing lascannons with MLs is acceptable, at this level of points, I'd suggest going all ML in order to get a few more normal marines in this squad. As it is right now, if this unit takes only two wounds, you're losing some of that expensive firepower you paid for. I'd say replace the lascannons with missle launchers and use the points difference to buy two more marines (I might be off on my points there- it's been awhile so check me on that). Your opponent will be rightly scared of this unit, and he will be gunning for it.

Also, if you do add in a couple of tac squads by removing the second assault squad and the first scout squad, you could have two more lascannons in your list anyways. I'd say you could probably get away with just missle launchers in your dev unit and not feel it.

Total: 1490

Any suggestions for how I can improve the list?
    All in all, it's a good first list. You've got the basic idea down in that you realize that you need to be able to shoot and assault with your space marines to be successful against most opponents. Do a little tinkering here and there and I think you'll really have a solid list. Throw in another 10 points and you've got the 1,500 list you'll be playing for awhile. You're really close. Think about some changes and go play some games!

Good luck!
    Last edited by DEADMARSH; November 5th, 2006 at 15:39.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for the advice - really helpful stuff.

You're right about Shrike, he is for 1500+ games only. I'd have to make up those points to ensure I was at the 1500 limit!

My plan with the assault squads is to deep strike them both, and get into combat asap. I will use Shrike to support either one of the squads or target enemy characters. Assault squads are an expensive business, I agree, but I wanted to go with them for the fluff value - the whole surgical strike idea. Coupled with Furious Assault, I reckon that these guys are going to be devastating!

The terminators are just an experiment really _ i really liked the models and wanted to give them a try.

I've heard others comment that Scout Snipers are pretty pricey, and I'd have to agree that I am actually shocked to look back on their value.... I do like the models, but point taken that the points could be better spent on a Tactical Squad.

****REVISED LIST****

HQ
    Kayvaan Shrike (175)

Chaplain (Reclusiarch) (120)
    Jump pack, plasma pistol

Elites

Dreadnought (105)

Troops
    Tactical Squad (5) (85)
    Missile launcher

Scouts (7) (101)
    Heavy bolter, bolters

Fast attack
    Assault Squad (10) (292)

Assault Squad (10) (290)

Landspeeder (80)

...coming in at just over limit, but easily fixed (shouldn;t be problem in friendlies!).

Any comments on the revisions? I think that the dreadnought might be a bit controversial!
    Last edited by Gorman; November 6th, 2006 at 20:03.

+ Reply to Thread