2000point Tyranid Slaughterers Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000point Tyranid Slaughterers Army

Well here it is...

HQ
    Epistolary Cortana (165)
    Terminator Armour, Veil of Time (Replacing original power), Fear of the Darkness

Terminator Command Squad (5 men) (240)
    2x Assault Cannon

Deathwatch Kill Team (8 men) (270)
    2x Heavy Bolter (Hellfire Ammo and Suspensors), Power Weapon, Kraken Bolts

ELITE
    Tyrannic War Veterans (8 men) (167)
    Flamer, Heavy Bolter

Flamer, Heavy Bolter

TROOPS
    Tactical Squad (10 men) (186)
    Heavy Bolter, Flamer, Sgt Terminator Honours, Power Weapon

FAST ATTACK
    Land Speeder Typhoon (70)

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Devastator Squad (9 men) (215)
    4x Missile Launchers

Marines:69
    Speeders:3
    Assault Cannons:2
    Heavy Bolters:10
    Missile Launchers:4
    Typhoon Missile Launcher:3
    Flamers:5
    Bolters:40

Please feel free to comment and critique on this list... I will post up the fluff later...
    Just keep in mind that this army is specifically designed to take on Tyranids...

Many Thanks

White Ninja Warlord :ninja:

~The Means Will Always Justify The Ends~

"Anything in Inquisitor is plausible, just mathematically improbable"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

flamers are great against nids... but not on foot slogging troops. the charge range of most nids will put your flamer range to shame. replace with melta guns.

Also, how would your list fair against a Godzilla list? The 'speeders are good but will get shot down pretty easy.
    The dev squad are very cool too.

I'd recommend melta or plasma guns in the squads and then powerfist on your aspiring champions. That way even if a carni comes close you can break his knees.

Just covering all your bases. Nids can vary tremendously good luck.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Ninja Warlord View Post
    ELITE
    Heavy Bolter

Heavy Bolter

TROOPS
    Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Sgt Terminator Honours, Power Weapon

Okay hows that, by dropping all the flamers off both the Tyrannic War Veterans Sqauds and the Tactical Sqauds i have 30 points which i put into the 3 plasma guns, which can also be changed to melta if the need be...

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Flamers do indeed suck, as Karmoon has pointed out. I'm not a fan of TWVets or Deathwatch, though I can certainly see the attraction. I find the Krak grenades in combat a little rubbish.

The Tactical Squads give you few decent ranged weapons, worthless flamers and Vet Sgts who do 10x better with a Powerfist.

LSTyphoons are much worse than 'Tornadoes and your opponent will simply spread out and avoid the worst of it, a Whirlwind is comparable points and much more survivable and lethal.

ML are very poor v's Tyranids, you're much better off with Heavy Bolters.

You only have a couple of Assault Cannon with a decent chance of going through a 2+, that is a real problem. I take at least 5 AC, 2 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Cannon and a Plasma Gun, plus a Demolisher Cannon and I still struggle with large numbers of MC's. Godzilla will eat you for breakfast.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Ok, forgive my ignorance, I don't have my marine codex on me, but doesn't fear of the darkness rely on a leadership test to work?
    You do realise that Nids under synapse autopass any leadership test right?

If there's no synapse, then they either have ld10 or will run away.

otherwise... er.. i'd wait for some real marine player to help you.. and not some chaos player pretending to be one to help you ^__^;;

good luck though - post the fluff!
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings View Post
    Flamers do indeed suck, as Karmoon has pointed out. I'm not a fan of TWVets or Deathwatch, though I can certainly see the attraction. I find the Krak grenades in combat a little rubbish.

The Tactical Squads give you few decent ranged weapons, worthless flamers and Vet Sgts who do 10x better with a Powerfist.

LSTyphoons are much worse than 'Tornadoes and your opponent will simply spread out and avoid the worst of it, a Whirlwind is comparable points and much more survivable and lethal.

ML are very poor v's Tyranids, you're much better off with Heavy Bolters.

You only have a couple of Assault Cannon with a decent chance of going through a 2+, that is a real problem. I take at least 5 AC, 2 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Cannon and a Plasma Gun, plus a Demolisher Cannon and I still struggle with large numbers of MC's. Godzilla will eat you for breakfast.
    Thanks for the replies guys.. Its good advice...

Now i'll see if i can explain myself for Silver Wings sanity... As you can tell i've dropped the flamers on the tyrannic veteran squads and on the tactical squads... As for the krak grenade attack hitting on 3's against preferred enemy at str 6 with no armour save for two points more than i normal marine, i thought it was a bargin...

The Tyranid player i verse relies on mass numbers he takes one Carnifex, Hive Tyrant a couple broods of warriors and huge numbers of hormagaunts and termagaunts... Therefore that is were the missile launchers come into it... It allows me to target the larger ones with krak missiles and also allows me to frag larger units... (4 frag missiles from one unit is bound to hit something) Also i know that the powerfist is 10x better than the power weapon on the vet sergeant but i would rather charge or be charged and have the prospect of being able to get an attack in at normal initiative over the use of a powerfist which would cost more and is slower...

The Land Speeder Typhoons already have Heavy Bolters on them so by giving them the missile launcher as well allows me another blast template which is useful against 150+ gaunts... As for the rest of the marines bolters are useful i have found against Hormagaunts and Termagaunts therefore allowing the deathwatch to utilise their kraken bolts against tougher targets...

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Thanks for the replies guys.. Its good advice...
    that's what we're here for

Also i know that the powerfist is 10x better than the power weapon on the vet sergeant but i would rather charge or be charged and have the prospect of being able to get an attack in at normal initiative over the use of a powerfist which would cost more and is slower...
    with 10 men in a tactical squad (kudos for using nice big squads rather than min ones by the way), your power fist is well and truly hidden.

Hormagaunts and gaunts are notoriously bad against marines in CC.. the S3 vs T4 power armour really works in your advantage. You'll increase your chances more by wounding them on 2s instead of 3s.

Remember, gaunts have the same initiative as marines, so power weapon or fist, they're going to be attacking regardless. None of your men have furious charge, and you shouldn't be taking this really either.
    Even if you get desperate and use the normal attacks over the powerfist attacks, with the gaunt's saving throw, it's really nothing to be worried about.

Go on, give that carni a powerfist enema

If he's playing a hoard army.. would a vindicator be a good idea? the little 'uns can't touch it, yet the vindicator can hurt any of the nid army. Just a random thought.
    LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Now i'll see if i can explain myself for Silver Wings sanity...
    When I initiated posting you hadn't made your second post.

As you can tell i've dropped the flamers on the tyrannic veteran squads and on the tactical squads... As for the krak grenade attack hitting on 3's against preferred enemy at str 6 with no armour save for two points more than i normal marine, i thought it was a bargin...
    I feel that avoiding combat should be the objective and with Gaunts delivering mass attacks and carnage on the charge doing a couple of wounds (4-5 if your squad is at full strength/all in combat) on large Gaunt broods is not worth it. Forgive me if i'm wrong but dont the 'nades only work on a 6+ v's MC's.

The Tyranid player i verse relies on mass numbers he takes one Carnifex, Hive Tyrant a couple broods of warriors and huge numbers of hormagaunts and termagaunts... Therefore that is were the missile launchers come into it... It allows me to target the larger ones with krak missiles and also allows me to frag larger units... (4 frag missiles from one unit is bound to hit something) Also i know that the powerfist is 10x better than the power weapon on the vet sergeant but i would rather charge or be charged and have the prospect of being able to get an attack in at normal initiative over the use of a powerfist which would cost more and is slower...
    If your opponent is giving away v.p's by not 2+ing his 'Fex/HT then ML are somewhat improved. I've just never trusted Frag ML Heavy Bolters do better anti-swarm, unless he is deploying in base to base.

How are you charging either move 19"-24" or shooty but still fleet gaunts? if you can you're usualy better off rapid firing, hitting on a 3+ and going through thier armour with no retaliation.

The Land Speeder Typhoons already have Heavy Bolters on them so by giving them the missile launcher as well allows me another blast template which is useful against 150+ gaunts... As for the rest of the marines bolters are useful i have found against Hormagaunts and Termagaunts therefore allowing the deathwatch to utilise their kraken bolts against tougher targets...
    LSTornadoes also have Heavy Bolters, and the Assault Cannon is superior to a TyphML. If you want Blasts dropping 3 SM and getting 3 Whirlwinds will scare the heck out of the Swarm Nidz.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Remember, gaunts have the same initiative as marines, so power weapon or fist, they're going to be attacking regardless. None of your men have furious charge, and you shouldn't be taking this really either.
    Even if you get desperate and use the normal attacks over the powerfist attacks, with the gaunt's saving throw, it's really nothing to be worried about.

Go on, give that carni a powerfist enema

If he's playing a hoard army.. would a vindicator be a good idea? the little 'uns can't touch it, yet the vindicator can hurt any of the nid army. Just a random thought.
    When i get back i'll re work the list probably giving the vet sergeants power fists... As for the vindicator i don't have one even though i like you know that they could unleash hell on the tyranids, i am also a bit hesitant to use one cause it would be the only ordanace weapon on the board thus it'll have a target on its back bigger then i defiler versing about 40 lascannons...

I feel that avoiding combat should be the objective and with Gaunts delivering mass attacks and carnage on the charge doing a couple of wounds (4-5 if your squad is at full strength/all in combat) on large Gaunt broods is not worth it. Forgive me if i'm wrong but dont the 'nades only work on a 6+ v's MC's.
    Against preferred enemy for tyrannic war veterans the krak grenades "hit on a 6+ normally, 3+ if against a preferred enemy" that at str 6 ignoring armour saves i think isn't a bad option but i could be wrong...

If your opponent is giving away v.p's by not 2+ing his 'Fex/HT then ML are somewhat improved. I've just never trusted Frag ML Heavy Bolters do better anti-swarm, unless he is deploying in base to base.
    Thats one of the reasons i took it is he (even after being advised that it is bad for the army) still places them in base to base... This may also be because of the amount of models he has... Also this is me personally but i find Frag missile Launchers quite effective when either massed or used well...

LSTornadoes also have Heavy Bolters, and the Assault Cannon is superior to a TyphML...
    I wasn't debating this fact, i know that assault cannons are far superior especially under 4th edition rules, cause they don't jam....

If you want Blasts dropping 3 SM and getting 3 Whirlwinds will scare the heck out of the Swarm Nidz.
    Lol this is true, i have no doubt if i put 3 whirlwinds on the table my opponent would probably soil his pants and refuse to play... (because of the overlathering of cheese) Also not so much to do with game play i like the Typhoon only cause the Tornado is so overused its not funny and that against the likes of I.G and Nids the Typhoon Missile Launcher comes into its own... But as i said i'll rework the list and see if i can put a whirlwind in there...

Many Thanks Guys, more advice would be greatly appreciated

S.N Karmoon: The Fear of the Darkness power runs on the affected unit taking a morale test at -2 so therefore would the synapse creature negate it?
    Last edited by White Ninja Warlord; November 16th, 2006 at 01:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

If he uses a lot of gaunts and hormies, then vehicles are a really cruel trick to pull.
    The simple reason being that they can't hurt the vindicator at all. The only threats are the Tyrant and the carnifex - but let's face it, they're a threat against everything.

In fact... flamers might work against a hoard army IF you have the marines in a rhino and do some drive by shootings from the hatches.

As for Fear of the Darkness, technically speaking, synapse doesn't ignore it, it just means they automatically pass it. The gaunts will feel the fear, but the hive mind instantly flexes and brings them back in line.
    Basically.. unless i'm very much mistaken, not a good one against nids.
    LO Rules

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast