1500 Stalking Tigers, fluff army with possible issues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Stalking Tigers, fluff army with possible issues

Hey everyone, was toying around with the Divergent Chapter traits, and liked this idea; however, I'm not sure of how well it would work. This is just a list that I thought I might try out, wouldn't be competative or anything, but just wanted everyone's opinion to see if it might work. Mostly though, it is just a fluff army:shifty:. "Stalking Tigers" is their name, and they have lots of infiltrate and lots of lightning claws and cc/pistol.

Divergent Traits:
    -- Take the Fight to them
    -- See but don't be seen
    ------ We stand alone
    ------ Flesh over Steel

HQ:
    --Reclusiarch -- terminator honors, Jump Pack, Crozius Arcanum, Rosarius
    [120]

Elites:
    -- Veteran Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant w/ terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 7 veterans, 1 /w twin lightning claws, 1 with meltagun (all but lightning claws and meltagun have cc/pistol)
    [247]

-- Veteran Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant w/ terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 7 veteran, 1 /w twin lightning claws, 1 with meltagun (all but lightning claws and meltagun have cc/pistol)
    [247]

Troops:
    -- Tactical Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant /w terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 8 marines with cc/pistol, 1 with meltagun.
    [235]

Same as Above
    [235]

Fast:
    -- Assult Squad -- All have melta bombs --Sergant /w terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 8 marines, 1 marine with flamer.
    [291]

Heavy:

-- Devastator Squad -- Infiltrate -- 1 sergeant, 4 marines, 2 with lascannons
    [160]

Total: 1499

Cheers

Last edited by fantasypisces; November 19th, 2006 at 22:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by fantasypisces View Post
    Hey everyone, was toying around with the Divergent Chapter traits, and liked this idea; however, I'm not sure of how well it would work. This is just a list that I thought I might try out, wouldn't be competative or anything, but just wanted everyone's opinion to see if it might work. Mostly though, it is just a fluff army:shifty:. "Stalking Tigers" is their name, and they have lots of infiltrate and lots of lightning claws and cc/pistol.

Divergent Traits:
    -- Take the Fight to them
    -- See but don't be seen
    ------ We stand alone
    ------ Flesh over Steel

HQ:
    --Reclusiarch -- terminator honors, Jump Pack, Crozius Arcanum, Rosarius
    [120]

Elites:
    -- Veteran Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant w/ terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 7 veterans, 1 /w twin lightning claws, 1 with meltagun (all but lightning claws and meltagun have cc/pistol)
    [247]

-- Veteran Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant w/ terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 7 veteran, 1 /w twin lightning claws, 1 with meltagun (all but lightning claws and meltagun have cc/pistol)
    [247]

Troops:
    -- Tactical Squad -- Infiltrate -- Sergeant /w terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 8 marines with cc/pistol, 1 with meltagun.
    [235]

Same as Above
    [235]

Fast:
    -- Assult Squad -- All have melta bombs --Sergant /w terminator honors and twin lightning claws, 8 marines, 1 marine with flamer.
    [291]

Heavy:

-- Devastator Squad -- Infiltrate -- 1 sergeant, 4 marines, 2 with lascannons
    [160]

Total: 1499

Cheers

I like the idea... very original. but the list seriously lacks AT firepower. In a 1500pt game, i would drop one of the vet squads, field 2 min/max squads instead and change the dev squad to 8 man with 4 ML. once you up to 1850pt games or higher i'ld put them back in, but for now, i'ld focus on some AT
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I agree.

Great list, that will be a lot of fun to play, but you NEED some anti-tank weapons. As it is, you have only 1 unit with any skimmer-killing ability. And melta-bombs on an assault squad is not very usefull. You really want these guys assaulting nasty troops, not tanks.

the above suggestion is a good one.

Also make sure your Chaplain has a bolt pistol. He does not come with it, and if you want to get the extra attack in CC for having 2 CCW, you have to buy it from the armory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, heh, forgot the bolt pistol!

Ya, the lack of heavy weapons was the main concern for me. Thanks everyone!

Going to try and paint a figure, will post it in the gallery when done. Need to try out if it will all work, was going to have the armor actually look like a tiger, orange with black stripes, while sergeants are white with black stripes.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I like the idea very much.
    While gen.nehring's suggestion is a good one it doesn't really seem to fit the idea you're after. Here's another suggestion. Or a couple of suggestions.

1. Give the tacticals bolters. The Veterans and Assault squad already give very good close combat power, you could use the ranged fire. Especially against skimmers and foes you'd rather soften up before engaging in close combat. -Banshees come to mind.-
    They already have lightning claws in the squad so they're not without the theme you're after. You could also argue that the real tigerness: the ccw&bp combo and the claws are reserved to the veterans. And indeed, it are the veteran sergeants in the tactical squads who wield those claws.

2. Drop the Assault squad back to a small squad of 5 strong, no meltabombs, maybe a flamer. Then use it as a counter-attack squad to support the main force and maybe go after isolated targets.
    I know you're after lightning claws but you should consider a powerfist in here. A couple of high strength attacks could be invaluable and a small supporting assault squad is capable of delivering them in the place where you need them.
    This way you save some 150 points for point 3.

3. With the saved points and the points of the current devastators you have enough points to get 2 5-man infiltrating Devastor squads with 2 missile launchers and a lascannon each. That'll give some pretty good long range fire support, especially anti-tank, but also anti-personnel.
    If you save some points left and right you can increase the size of the devastator squads which would make them less vulnerable. Options that come to mind are the Chaplain's terminator honours, you don't need a 15 point extra attack in an army full of close combat prowess. You could also drop the lascannons altogether for missile launchers, saving another 15 pts per gun. 2x 3 missile launchers should also be able to get the job done, especially with the added deployment benefit of infiltration.

4. Next to a bolt pistol, your chappy could also do with some frag grenades.

On the painting side, wouldn't full black-white armour contrast too much with the black-orange? Something that comes to mind is only making part of the armour white, like the helmet, an arm.

I hope this helps.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone basically said everything, although I just have one thing to nitpic about. In most cases, when a chapter has something specific about them, their tactics, or the weaponry they use, the HQs usually exemplify that, even more so than the others. But in this case, you've got everyone with claws, but your HQ is a generic chaplain that feels like he doesnt belong. I think at least so he looks like he belongs on the table, perhaps model is crozius as a lightening claw or something, just remember to explain to your opponent its not actually a claw.

He's coming for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I agree with your point, however for a chaplain it doesn't really apply. Commanders and librarians normally have their weapons for choosing, the chaplain's crozius however is given to him. Sure he could wield another weapon but the crozius is a viable weapon whether or whether not it conforms to the usual equipment of the Chapter.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread