1500 pt vs Tau - friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt vs Tau - friendly

My brother and I are going to have a friendly bashing of heads soon. He's going to be fielding a Tau army consisting of about 7x XV-8s Battlesuits, stealth battlesuits with marketlight, about 3 squads of FireWarriors, 2x XV-88s, sniper team, Devilfish and Hammerheads. I am thinking of meeting him with this army list. Can you give me pointers on this list?

HQ
    Brother-Cpt = pyscannon
    91 pts

Elite
    Inquisitor = psycannon, auspex
    2x Gun Servitors = heavy bolter
    1x Gun Servitor = plasma cannon
    147 pts

Callidus
    120 pts

Troops
    Veteran = teleport homer
    2x ST = meltagun
    5x ST
    Rhino = storm bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers
    178 pts

Veteran = teleport homer
    2x ST = plasma gun
    5x ST
    Chimera = storm bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers
    208 pts

Fast Attack
    8x Grey Knights
    227 pts

8x Grey Knights
    227 pts

Heavy
    2x Dreads = ML, TLLC, extra armour, smoke launchers

Should I just drop the Callidus and max the DS squads? Should I replace one of the troops slot with just a 5man GK squad with 2 psycannons? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your FAGK's should be 225, and doing the rest of the math, leaves you 10 points to spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Veteran = teleport homer
    2x ST = plasma gun
    5x ST
    Chimera = storm bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers
    208 pts
    What weapons are you giving the Chimera? If you go with the standard load out the unit costs 213 pts.

HQ
    Brother-Cpt = pyscannon
    91 pts
    Drop the psycannon on the BC.

Callidus
    120 pts
    I would drop her for the evesor assassin.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Keep the Callidus! It's really good against Tau. Although...you said friendly...and your list doesn't look friendly...

Hmm similar list to the one in my batrep actually (sans land raider).
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually forgot to add an auspex on the FA GKs, hence 227 pts.

Chimera = multilaser with heavy bolter for the hull weapon. and yes you're right Altantian Warrior, it is 213 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Against a Tau army, especially one with 1+ Hammerheads, the light armor vehicles you've got in this list won't last long at all. Definitely not long enough to deliver those IST within weapons range.

You need more bodies, and the guns they bring. The Assassin and the Inq & his unit are very very fragile, and likely also won't last very long against a standard shooty Tau list.

Loads and loads of GK are one of the best things against Tau - not quite as long ranged, but good armor, and they chew through anything Tau can field at range and in melee. Don't bother with psycannons - Tau can out-range you (for cheaper, too), and you want to make the most of your armor & toughness up close.

Deepstriking GK squads work well against most Tau armies - you land well inside their max range (which is where they want to keep you), and can close faster.

Take as few T3 models as you can.

Don't take armor under AV13, really. I mean, you won't lose all of your armor in the first turn or anything, but you'll, uh, lose 'em quick. This doesn't mean to take LR/LRC(s) either, though - Tau can pop those almost as easily as they pop Rhinos. The DH list doesn't really have any armor that can deal with the Tau well. Hard to kill infantry is the way to go.

Just my own advice, really. As an all-comers list, this isn't too bad (I'd drop the assassin, bulk up the IST, max out the FAGK, for starters).

Oh, and definitely put two Sages into the Inq's unit (if you keep it). 2+ Sages gives the unit a single reroll per turn - which you may use to prevent a roll of a "1" on the Plasma Cannon!

I actually forgot to add an auspex on the FA GKs, hence 227 pts.
    If they start off in Reserve... why bother?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Expanding on what mEGA suggested, I would actually say that, in Tau-specific lists, you shouldn't take any armour at all. They're just free victory points for your opponent, and lost troops that you could have had instead.

You need to decide what kind of list you want to play against this guy. You can actually build a more-or-less "static" shooty DH army and actually outshoot the guy, or you can go for the tough assault troops that mEGA recommends, and that most of us prefer to play.

For an assaulty variant, I would take a shooty inquisitor lord for the HQ as fire support, using the base you have but adding sages and possibly acolytes, too. I'd take a modest 4-5 model GKT Elite squad, the Callidus, and then load up on the vanilla GKs. I'd also take the melta torpedo orbital strike just to keep the guy moving. Most Tau opponents like to sit still and shoot, don't let them do it.

For a shooty variant, you just load up on the psycannons and, with all those S6 shots coming at 36" range (stronger shots, longer range, and higher rate of fire than their pulse rifles) you make them figure out what to do! 1500 pts can get you that shooty I-lord, the Callidus (flush out annoying jump-shoot-jump troops), and the melta torpedo again. On top of that, take two troops as "mini-purgation" squads (5 models, 2x psycannons), a purgation squad (5 GKs, 4x psycannons), and then a pair of vanilla FAGK squads to use as you need. Deep strike, shoot and advance, or screen off your psycannons when/if the Tau decide they have to get closer to have a shot at beating you.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great tips so far. Thanks guys! I never considered not bringing in armour (dreads, rhino, chimera, etc) but I may have to consider this. I am shooting for a shooty inq while my GKs DS for an assault. I've already followed Mega's advice on maxing the FAGKs.

+ Reply to Thread