1000pts Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000pts Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts Guard

- - -HQ- - -
    - Command Squad-
    JO w/ bolter & ccw
    Heavy bolter

-fire support squad-
    3 heavy bolters

- - -ELITES- - -
    -Hardened Vets-
    10 vets
    auto cannon
    2 Plasma Guns

- - -TROOP CHOICE #1- - -
    - Command Squad-
    JO w/ bolter & ccw
    missile launcher

-Squad 1-
    8 guardsmen, 1 grenade launcher
    missile launcher

-Squad 2-
    missile launcher

- - -TROOP CHOICE #2- - -
    - Command Squad-
    JO w/ bolter & ccw
    missile launcher

-Squad 1-
    missile launcher

-Squad 2-
    missile launcher

- - -HEAVY SUPPORT CHOICE #1- - -
    Leman Russ Battle tank
    Battle Cannon
    Hull Heavy Bolter
    extra armor

- - -HEAVY SUPPORT CHOICE #2- - -
    Leman Russ Battle tank
    Battle Cannon
    Hull Heavy Bolter
    extra armor

1010pts total

Last edited by Ork64; November 30th, 2006 at 09:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice list, very smooth. I like it

but what's your tactic?

stand and shoot?

In a magical little place called 'Hanford', where little elves fly about the hazy air
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x0)

You have no weapons higher then S8. That'll make killing more armoured tanks a bitch. I think you should exchange some missles for lascannons and upgrade you command platoon JO to an HSO with the points you have left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might seem like Overkill but you could get a Basilisk for 100 points, forget the indirect fire upgrade since the table won't be that big for a 1000 point game. I don't know how much use that lone Autocannon will be in your HQ.

Also, spend the 8 points each to get both Leman Russes Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers. Since the other guy will undoubtedly try and bring at least some Lascannons for AV14 vehicles it might come in handy.

It looks like a flexible list but it is lacking in things that threaten AV14. Might not be a problem though, it depends on what you're facing mostly.

May I suggest getting a Demolisher to replace one of the standard LRs? If you can work in the points cost, it's not that much, and fit it with Extra Armour, smoke, and some plasma guns (which don't overheat on tanks) you'd have an excellent anti-heavy infantry vehicle. I take one at least just to pop those damned Terminators en masse.

I would also definitely consider either an HSO or an Honorifica Imperialis for one of your officers. That extra LD might just be what you need in the end. But then again it could be a needless waste of points.

Extra Armour and Smoke plus a Basilisk can turn this into a really powerful list I think. It's all you'll really need.
    Last edited by Marwynn; November 29th, 2006 at 15:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply s, and I did forget to mention that my platoon command squads will have a Missile launchers. My tactic will be stand and shoot indeed. As for the demolisher, I need all the range I can find(stand and shoot tactic, remember)so that would not be such a good idea. I will add extra armor and smoke launchers to the Leman Russ battle Tanks. As I said, the LC are too dear, but I might consider taking a Basilisk though.
    Thanks very much for your time,
    Ork
    P.S: keep those suggestions coming!

EDIT: Oooops...forgot to mention my Doctrines.....
    close order drill(its the only one I could think of point wise)
    Last edited by Ork64; November 29th, 2006 at 17:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iron Discipline is fairly cheap as you only buy it for your officers, and it's a fairly solid thing. If you don't have anything else you could purchase Drop Troops which is free and Sharpshooters for any heavy weapons teams you may want to field (which isn't free but still a good deal).

How large is your gaming table? Because the Demo's range I've found is long enough after a turn of moving. But if you have a nice long table then even the Bassy's Indirect Fire might come in handy.

May I ask why you consider Lascannons as being too expensive? Sure it's a heft points cost, but you have 9 "ablative wounds" if you field them in your squads. Kinda hard to kill them off unless you annihilate that squad. Don't even need a lot of it. But then again you do have a lot of Missile Launchers already so I don't think it's even that big a deal--worse comes to worst you can fire your Ordnance at the tanks and slaughter it. Enough glancing hits from MLs alone can make an expensive AV14 vehicle all but useless too.

Let us know how you do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"How large is your gaming table? Because the Demo's range I've found is long enough after a turn of moving. But if you have a nice long table then even the Bassy's Indirect Fire might come in handy. "

Our tables are 48"x48", and my stand n shoot army, so...

"May I ask why you consider Lascannons as being too expensive? "

Well, I figured if I use lascannons instead of missile launchers this list would be about 950pts, and I wanted to fit something else in, do you have any suggestions(like ogryns maybe, veterans or...?)

Thanks,
    Ork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Guilty Pleasure: Sentinel Squadrons

Just one for each Fast Attack slot if you're not using those up. Fairly cheap points-wise and they're mobile. Also, they're great for tying up primarily shooting squads with a well-placed Assault. Multilasers and Autocannons appear to be the popular choices for the Sents.

At the very least they're fodder for some quick assaulting force heading your way.

Barring that, get Chimeras and convert one or two squads into Armoured Fists. No change in layout, just gotta pay for the Chimera itself. Fairly resilient for a transport and can feature two decent anti-infantry weaponry, you can use these to screen your troops and delay those crazed meleers.

Other favourites: Rough Riders with Hunting Lances = Dead Terminators if you get the charge, which you should. Deep Striking Veterans armed with Meltaguns, precision anti-tank for cheap.

Don't know too many people who field Ogryns or Ratlings though.

48 x 48 eh? Yeah I guess the Indirect Firing Basilisk may be overshooting things hehe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually thinking of adding some vets with 2 grenade launchers and autocannon for some light anti tank and heavy infantry...I edited the list.
    So, I have the following:
    1 auto cannon
    4 heavy bolters
    6 missile launchers
    2 battle cannons
    About the sentinals, I was thinking of doing a WWII themed army, so that would explain my need in missile launchers and GL....
    Thank you very much for your help, Ork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grenade Launchers might be a bad call for Veterans. They have a better BS skill than your troops so you could probably trust them with other special weapons.

I employ them either as suicidal Paratroopers with 3 Meltaguns that can bring down almost anything you can normally encounter, or with 3 Plasmas to make all of their shots count, despite still having that horrid armour save. I think this is the general accepted way of fielding them as suicidal troops, but certainly not the only way. I even tried out the three Vet squads I have by outfitting them as a full squad and giving the Vet Sgt a Powerfist to remain a nuisance long after their first objective is complete... didn't turn out so well most of the time, so I guess the lesson is sticking them into one role and making them good at it.

If you Infiltrate the Veterans into some good cover, that heavy weapon would come in handy. The Autocannon'd help out, certainly, against medium infantry. But what you have in the Veteran squad is a great mobile firepower reserve.

You wanna make their shots count, so I say Plasma guns and an Autocannon. You'd fry Space Marines and Light Vehicles easily. Hell, with 3 Plasma guns you could fry yourself some Space Marine Terminators without their pesky armour save.

Man do I ramble or what? In short, save the grenade launchers for the green troops as they can't aim. Give these guys the big guns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast