2000pt friendy GK list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt friendy GK list

2000pt Grey Knight anti-horde list
    This list is designed for dealing with horde armies, Tyranids and the like. It's not perfect, and rather low on models, but i think it'll do ok.

HQ:

Grey Knight Grand Master w/NFW and stormbolter, scourging, teleport homer
    Retinue: 7x Grey Knight Terminators w/Holocaust
    517pts

Elites:
    8x Grey Knight Terminator Squad
    383pts

Troops:
    grey knight squad w/ 2x pyscannons
    200pts
    200pts
    200pts

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider Crusader w/ smoke launchers
    258pts
    Grey Knight Dreadnought w/ DCCW/Stormbolter, Assault Cannon
    110pts
    110pts

Total: 1978pts

So i have 22pts left to play around with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Welcome to the Daemonhunters.

HQ:

Grey Knight Grand Master w/NFW and stormbolter, scourging, teleport homer
    Retinue: 7x Grey Knight Terminators w/Holocaust
    517pts
    Drop the scourging and holocaust. Make the retinue a 5 man instead of 7. What are you going to use the teleport homer for?

Elites:
    8x Grey Knight Terminator Squad
    383pts
    MOst will say that this unit is a waste of point. You have a GM with retinue. I would drop them for more PAGK or 2 squads of IST with plasma guns. With that many points you could have 3 squads of IST.

Troops:
    200pts
    200pts
    200pts
    Not enough PAGKs in the squads. You should make them 8-10 man squads. You can go the way of the mini purgation squad. That is what you have right now. You should only have one of them.

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider Crusader w/ smoke launchers
    258pts
    110pts
    110pts
    For the dreads you could go with Assault cannon and Missile launcher, Plasma Cannon and missile launcher. These two are good for horde killing. You should add extral armour to the dreads.

The LRC is a nice item, but it is a very expensive 1 wound item. I ss you are useing the points from the DH codex. You can use the LRC from the SM codex.

If you want to kill hordes you want to kill them at range not in hand to hand.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the GKGM squad is supposed to be mounted in the land raider, the teleport homer is for the 2nd grey knight terminator squad to safely port in. I of course, don't have to deploy either of them that way though.

Scourging is to make the GKGM's BS more useful, i don't have the 30pts required to give him a pyscannon, and if he's in a land raider, it wouldn't do him much good anyway. Holocaust is for it's blast template goodness.

the 2nd terminator squad is the rest of my dedicated CC potential. Kinda random i know, but it's the role I'm giving them.

I had the troops set up that way due to point constraints, currently, i get 16 pyscannon shots a shooting phase.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Holocaust is good for facing horde but put it on your GM instead of your termy's. When you give the termies a power if they hit perils of the warp they ALL get hit, not just one.

Your list is way too elities heavy if your facing horde armies, especially nids. Genesteelers rending will make you cry tears of blood as you watch your expensive termies get shreded, plus when facing nids and such, power weapon attacks mean less than volume of attacks. Drop the second squad of GK's and get a max squad of FAGK's to drop in on your GM. When facing nid armies you wanna have as many guns and knives on the board on turn one as you possibly can, since it is vital to thin down the enemy before they charge you.

As to the psycannons they are impresive but against nids your only gonna get one salvo of 16, then your gonna be in CC where your S6 weapon and true grit is gonna do far more for you. Like others have said, one mini purgation squad is about ideal.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You can't beat horde armies by loading up on your mostest elitest combat units for hand-to-hand smackdowns. Any horde army you intend to face will make a mockery of the list you have proposed. You don't have nearly enough models to survive any protracted close combats -- which is what you've set the list up for. And if the horde has any shooting capability ... well, you probably won't even make it to turn 4.

If you want to beat hordes with DH, the way to do it is with more bodies and more guns, not more assault power. Don't take any GKTs at all. Maybe a single BC with a psycannon (a fantastic anti-horde weapon) just to unlock an AC/DCCW dread or two, but otherwise, none, nada, zip. Don't take LR or LRCs. Not a one. You can field a full squad of GKs for that same cost, and those stormbolter shots and assault capabilities will net you far more kills than the LR/LRC ever could. Use a shooty I-lord as your HQ. Give serious consideration to a purgation squad with 4 psycannons. ISTs will give you lots of bodies and rapid fire weapons. Vanilla GKs will give you lots of fantastic stormbolter fire, great for mowing down advancing hordes at 24", plus the ability to win the close combat when you are finally assaulted.

And that's the key. Against hordes, don't go looking for assaults. Make them wade through your massed firepower, only to die at the feet of your superior GKs when they finally arrive in depleted units.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread