2000 pt Drop Pod List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

2000 pt Drop Pod List

I usually play a trait army involving Scions of Mars and have gotten a little tired with it. So I decided to try my hand at a drop pod army. I've only used DP's once and LST's twice (by proxy) so I'm really interested in what people have to say about this. The Dreadnoughts in the list are my anti-tank and I'm not sure if 3 of them are needed. I went with a commander for the Ld bonus which I know won't help until the commander is on the board. He's also cheap!

The bit of fluff behind this is that the scouts and LST's are looking for large forces to engage in an area. Once found they call in for reinforments from the battle barge, which arrive via drop pod and teleportation.

HQ (320)
    Master (120)
    Terminator Armour
    Storm Bolter + Power Weapon

4 man Terminator Command Squad (200)
    2 Assault Cannons + Power Fists
    1 Storm Bolter + Power Fist
    1 Storm Bolter + Power Weapon

Elites (510)
    3x Dreadnoughts (140/each)
    TL Lascannon + ML
    Extra Armour
    Drop Pods

Troops (930)
    3x 8 man Tact Squads (168/each)
    Plasma Gun
    Frag Grenades
    Sergeant TH+PF
    Drop Pod

6 man Scout Squad (113)
    5 Sniper Rifles
    1 Heavy Bolter
    Teleport Homer

6 man Scout Squad (118 )
    1 Heavy Bolter
    Sergeant TH+PF
    Teleport Homer

5 man Scout Squad (105)
    1 Heavy Bolter
    Sergeant TH+PF
    Teleport Homer

Fast Attack (240)
    3x Land Speeder Tornados (80/each)
    (separate FO choices)

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay first off, with your dreads, since you're dropping them in, whats the point of the Las cannons? Either take a mutlimelta or just stick with the standard assault cannon. Rending may not be 100% reliable but it's still decent. I also like to give them heavy flamers. Sure it is a little of a mixing of your priorities but its cheap and is awesome against swarm armies which you might have some trouble with. I'm not a big fan of the scouts but they could work out. One big thing to remember though is that they will be horribly exposed. You've got about half your army waiting in the sky so place your scouts so they'll survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, six pods. How about 8?

I sure wouldn't want to be those scouts or LST on turn one.

I'd drop them all, give a pod to the command squad, add two more tac squads, and use the cleanse and purify trait. Two special weapons in each tac squad is awesome, two squads could have plasma guns and the other three could have meltas for tank hunting.

The dreads don't require ranged weapons, you can place them anywhere on the board you wish, well, almost. Assault cannons and either flamers or HBs, depending on what you fight most MEQ or swarms, make for a terrific dreadnaught.

I don't know how that works out point wise, but now you've got a full drop list with a terminator squad, 3 dreads, and 5 tac squads coming down in just the right spot to exploit the enemies weakest points. If at all possible, try to go second, effectively limiting your opponents turns to shoot/kill you to four, but only taking away one of yours.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Okay, two big problems;

1. Your Dread set-up doesn't fit well. Drop pod dreads are usually going to be within 24'' of anything, and the only real advantage a lascannon has over the assault cannon (under the rending rules) is its 48'' range. So a drop pod dread (unless it's a Furioso) should nearly always have AC/DCCW, unless you intend to fire a lascannon point-blank at someone's back armour. You'll find this especially helps with low-strength horde armies; the Dread can shoot the AC at 'gaunts or a mob and then get into CC where they need S6 to glance him. It makes an excellent way to tie up an enemy squad and mess with your opponent's firing line.

2. Your scout squad loadout has the same problem. Firstly, they are very small. They'll take one round of shooting and run away. Secondly; your second and third squads have heavy bolters they are never going to use. They should be moving every turn to get close enough to use the teleport homer. Your first squad is alright, but the problem with that is that it has a teleport homer on a sniping squad. And the big, big problem with all of them is that they are very, very, very small, and thus very very weak, and thus make an unreliable way to introduce a teleport homer.

There's a scout tactica on the GW website which has a single teleport homer tactic; take a large (8/10-man) close combat scout squad, give the sergeant a teleport homer, infilitrate them and suicide charge the enemy - and then hold out until your reserves arrive and your terminators reinforce them.

Edit: Also, a close combat weapon on your Commander gives him an extra attack. If you have points spare, a chain fist or a thunder hammer gives him an anti-tank option, or just a way to increase wounding chances against high-I units where he'd be striking last anyway (Eldar, Genestealers).
    Last edited by ze_poodle; December 11th, 2006 at 04:51.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Well, i suggest you check out the drop pod tactical located in my signature.

I strongly advise against mixing infiltrators with drop pods.

Fast units with drop pods are fine.

Thus id rethink the scouts, the tactical talk about good weapon load outs for most units, such as the dreadnoughts.

Cheers,
    Forged.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

First of all, just want to say thanks for all the comments. I made some changes and play tested my list the other day against some Necrons and learned a few things.

The biggest change I did was change the shooty dreadnoughts to standard venerable dreadnoughts and took Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients. It always floors me to find out how survivable a ven. dreadnought is. I lost one with a really bad scatter off the table. But the other two survived 5 Destroyers trying to pick them off among the occasional warriors trying to glance them with the gauss effect.

In the end, everyone was right about the scouts. They didn't survive long enough to make them worth it. Although, one of my LST did. I dropped the scouts and redistributed the points for a new list.

Here's where I ran into a problem. I was going to take the suggestion to take Cleanse and Purify. But there's no way I can take LST's, 3 Ven Dreadnoughts, Drop Pods and 2 Special wapons. All the Major Drawbacks either preclude multiple dreadnoughts, land speeders or force me to take DPs as fast attack slots.

So here's a question, should I drop Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients or Cleanse and Purify? If I drop one of those traits then I only have to take one minor drawbck.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Probably heed the wisdom of the ancients would be best to drop.

Assault cannon dreadnoughts, possibly with heavy flamer, is what i suggest you drop pod. They are better at close range, remember to give them extra armor, but probably nothing else is needed.

Peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

+ Reply to Thread