Drop pod Army List: Help With Traits - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop pod Army List: Help With Traits

I apologize if this has been asked to death, but what are the best squads and traits to use in a drop pod army. Here is what I have so far.

Traits: Trust you Battle Brothers, Cleanse and Purify, Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients, Take the Fight to them.

HQ
    Librarian
    Fear of Darkness
    10x Command squad
    2x Plasma Gun

Troops
    10x Tactical Squad
    1x Plasma gun or Meltagun
    (2 if Cleanse and Purify is used)
    Power Fist

Elites
    Dreadnought
    Assalt cannon
    Flamer
    CCW

Fast Attack
    Land speeder tonado
    Assalt cannon

As a side note: I have several homemade drop pods, can I use them in a GT or other official tournaments?

Please do not list where I can get templates etc as that is against the fourm rules and not what I'm asking. (I don't want this thread closed on the 1st post)

Last edited by Kaluha; December 17th, 2006 at 17:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

This is fine, but I think it crosses the line of what belongs on army forums, and what doesn't. So I'm putting it in the army list forum. It seems to me that it is essentially an army list, but you've got questions on how to make it better, with drop pods right? Hence the movement. Any probs, PM me.

~Yoss
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

Ok, I see a couple of issues to start.

1. Where's your other troops choice? You need 2.

2. You can only take 2 advantage traits not 4. So thin that out. And what drawbacks will you take?

As for your pods. You can use them in a normal game, but probably not tournament play.

The best squads to take ARE tactical squads, so that's fine and good. Cleanse and purify IS the preferred trait of podders.

The speeder is argueable, as to wether or not you should bother with it or something better.

I like the drawback of Death before dishonor, coupled with Never Despair. This lets the game go longer, which is an issue with pod armies.

Please repost your list. And this time be precise about what goes where, weapon config is very important here. Don't post the points cost, we can figure that out ourselves.

Example:

Tactical squad Albus
    10xmarines, plasmax2, Vet.sgt with Bolt pistol, p.fist and purity seals.
    Mounted in drop-pod with deathwind launcher.

The more precise you are about your equipment, the better we can critique it.

:ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, no I wasn't going to use the above as an army I was simply trying to find what people think are the best units to use in a pod army so that I could write a tactica later about it. Sorry for the confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

The traits that I suggest for a drop pod army are...

Cleanse and Purify: is the best one, as has been mentioned already.

Heed the wisdom of the ancients: I think it's a good idea, if you're going to be dropping your dreads into danger, to make them venerable.

Uphold the honour of the emperor: If you're going to be dropping a command squad in, the 6+ invulnerable save would help.

XD
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

As previously stated, C&P is the trait of choice for Drop Pod armies. A lot of people also use TyBB, but personally I think this is a waste of points. HtWotA would be extremely fun, but not terribly competitive. Take the fight to them is not a great trait as Drop Pod lists usually work better making the most use of the bolter, not by assaulting.

Librarian is a good HQ choice, but Fear of the Darkness is not the best if it's a codicier, as there are many armies that are basically fearless, and Fear is then useless. But it's a great 2nd power on an Episoliary. You have to give him a command squad, as that is the only way to give him a pod.

Also, all squads should be 8 or 10 men. I always make my squads 10 men unless I need to shave a few points.

Your right about the Tac squads. I like to have half my squads with 2 plasma, and the other half with 2 melta's. I don't always put a power fist in every squad, but I usually do.

The assault cannon / Heavy flamer dreadnaught is the only dread to use in a Drop Pod army.

LSTs are better left to different lists. They cannot fire the turn they land, and unlike the rest of the army, they are vulnerable to die by scatter. I have included them in Drop Pods lists, but their performance is far inferior to their normal performance.

And yes, your homemade drop pods are tournament legal, as long as they are of proper size. They should be roughly the size of a large blast template. GW does not make an official Drop Pod model, so any scratch-built model is acceptable. However, there are heavy rumors that GW WILL be putting out a plastic Drop Pod model with, or shortly after, the Dark Angel release. At that point your drop pods will not be legal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my drop pod army, i usually go cleanse and purify. sometimes ill take tybb, but only in extreme cases (nids, close combat armies). I really like cleanse and purify becuase having 2 meltaguns can save ur butt if one of them misses. tybb is good too bc u get both counter-attack and true grit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that Take the Fight to Them works quite well. They can cause some damage by shooting though the bolter squads do more. However when/if they get charged or do the charging they get more attacks and do more damage.

The fact that I use No Mercy, No Respite and so gain Furious Charge means my chapter is very assaulty. When I have 40-50 assault troops drop in at once the game is usually over in the next turn or two, one way or the other.

I also use Landspeeders in my list though I don't drop them. I deploy them behind cover so they can't get shot. Once the cavalry arrives they zip around and start pasting things to take some of the pressure off.
    May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust your battle brothers works very well in my experience. The extra attack when being charged is invaluable. Against genestealers it goes a long way to negating the swupreme effectiveness of the rending attacks and against other 'Nids I have found it awesomly effective. Not so against TMC's though:shifty:
    Lord Maxton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maxton View Post
    Trust your battle brothers works very well in my experience. The extra attack when being charged is invaluable. Against genestealers it goes a long way to negating the swupreme effectiveness of the rending attacks and against other 'Nids I have found it awesomly effective. Not so against TMC's though:shifty:
    This is why i have opted to take the extra 3 points per model and simply field an additional DP Tac squad. I prefer to have as many models on the table as i possibly can

+ Reply to Thread