1500 point Drop Pod list! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

1500 point Drop Pod list!

I have wanted to come up with a drop pod army list and this is my first attempt at it. I am playing Dark Angels, and here is the list:

HQ

Inerrogator-Chaplain- 130
    Storm Bolter, Bionics, Terminator Armor

Terminator command squad x4 - 230
    2 Assault cannons, Drop pod

Ok, so here is where i have a decision to make. I am debating on using the standard codex Terms or the Deathwing Terms. I think it would be cool to have the Deathwing and go with one assault cannon and 3 lightning claws. If I do that the Term Command squad is 238 points. The only problem with that is that I would loose their shoting phase pratically. But I am not sure witch to do, so i could use some imput on that.

TROOPS

Tac Squad #1 x10- 210
    Vet Sergeant, Stubborn, melta gun, Drop Pod

Tac Squad #2 x10- 210

Tac Squad #3 x10- 210

Tac Squad #4 x10- 210

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought- 140
    Extra Armor, Drop Pod

Dreadnought- 140
    Extra Armor, Drop Pod

TOTAL=1480 (or 1488 w/Deathwing terms)

Alright rip it apart guys, All the imput will help as I am going to buy stuff this weekend

Last edited by Brother_Kendo; December 20th, 2006 at 23:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

That is a very solid, very strong drop pod list.

I would highly recommend going with the Assault Cannons. I have found shooting to be a better focus for Drop Pod lists then assaults. Plus, the regular termies all have power fists, and if there is a juicy squad with no power weapons you will destroy them anyway.

Look at it like this. With Terminators you are only afraid of 2 things. Power weapons and power fists. Power Weapons are going to be carried by IC's which will go before your LC's anyway, so you get no benefit from them. And you have to destroy every member of the squad to get to the power fist. Here is a really good tactic. Shoot the hell out of the squad with your Assault Cannons and Storm Bolters. Now there are very few of them left. However, your still lead by a chaplain (power weapon) and have a sergeant (power weapon) and 3 power fists. Turn off your power fists and assault. Now you have 2 guys with power weapons, 3 guys with regular attacks all striking at init 4 and with the chaplains re-rolls for charging you should be able to wipe out the rest of the squad before your opponents power fist can attack. Remember, you can always turn your special attack off and strike at your normal init.

Troops:
    You didn't say how many guys are in each squad. There should be either 8 or 10. And I would recommend a power fist on each sergeant. Really helps deter people from charging you. Also, I would switch 2 of the squads to Plasma guns.

Heavy:
    Great…but these guys should really have Heavy Flamers…but you have the 20 points to give them each one. Heavy flamers on Drop Poded dreads = lots of goodness.

The only other thing I would say is that normally a Librarian is a better HQ choice in a drop pod list then a chaplain, but I don't think you have the points, and I think what you have will work very well.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

I would highly recommend going with the Assault Cannons. I have found shooting to be a better focus for Drop Pod lists then assaults. Plus, the regular termies all have power fists, and if there is a juicy squad with no power weapons you will destroy them anyway.
    Yeah, thats what I thought would be said. So I am going with the shootyness that is assault cannons

You didn't say how many guys are in each squad. There should be either 8 or 10. And I would recommend a power fist on each sergeant. Really helps deter people from charging you. Also, I would switch 2 of the squads to Plasma guns.
    I edited the original list to show what I did have. I changed it though, to be 8/10 marines per squad, and went with the 2 units with melta guns/two with plasma's. I had to cut the 4 marines to also make room for the power fists which I really like and is well worth the 4 marines.

Great…but these guys should really have Heavy Flamers…but you have the 20 points to give them each one. Heavy flamers on Drop Poded dreads = lots of goodness.
    I didnt think of this idea, but I freakin love it. I changed this.

The only other thing I would say is that normally a Librarian is a better HQ choice in a drop pod list then a chaplain, but I don't think you have the points, and I think what you have will work very well.
    This I will play test. I will use them both in a few battles and then decide from there ya know.

So this would be the updated list:

HQ

TROOPS

Tac Squad #1 x10- 225
    Vet Sergeant, Stubborn, PF, melta gun, Drop Pod

Tac Squad #2 x8- 195

Tac Squad #3 x10- 225
    Vet Sergeant, Stubborn, PF, plasma gun, Drop Pod

Tac Squad #4 x8- 195

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought- 150
    Extra Armor, Heavy flamer, Drop Pod

Dreadnought- 150

TOTAL=1500 points on the money

Thanks Sinjin, I really think your little tips game me the most bang out of the 1500 points, especially since with them it used every valuable point. thanks a lot!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Kendo View Post

HQ

TROOPS

Tac Squad #1 x10- 225

Tac Squad #2 x8- 195

Tac Squad #3 x10- 225

Tac Squad #4 x8- 195

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought- 150

Dreadnought- 150
    Not much to say at this point. This is a list to be feared. Good squads, good numbers, good redundancy...all things which are important in a Drop Pod list.

I'm only going to make one comment. I'm not saying it will be better, but I play many Drop Pod lists, and at 1500 points I tend to use regular command squads led by a librarian rather then a terminator command squad, simply to get more bodies. Don't change the list, it looks kick-ass, but if after playing it a few times, you find the terminators are not performing as well as you thought, people are countering them well, or really loading up on ap2 weapons, try it the other way.

I would wish you good luck, but I don't think you will need much luck with that list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would agree. In 1500 i tend to not use my termies and go with power armor command squad. This would also allow you to use the Libby. But play test it and see what you think.

I would also suggest considering reducing all 4 tac squads to 8 men each and use the extra points to give your army the "cleans and purify " trait and add an additional special weapon to your tac squads.

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
    I would also suggest considering reducing all 4 tac squads to 8 men each and use the extra points to give your army the "cleans and purify " trait and add an additional special weapon to your tac squads.

good luck
    That would be really good advice, except he plays Dark Angels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stab me in the eye for missing that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Thanks guys. The only thing i need to do now is decide if I am going to go ahead and start my Eldar army or Build this list. Either way thanks for the imput!

Kendo's DA's, Eldar, and stuff WIP
    Dark Angels: W-22 D-4 L-5 High Elves W-8 L-1

+ Reply to Thread