[1850] Raven Guard, revamp - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

[1850] Raven Guard, revamp

Just tinkering with a "final" Raven Guard list... keep fluff in mind, please, people.

Raven Guard 4th Company

HQ

Shadow Captain Vaayn
    1 Master with Twin Lightning Claws; Jump Pack; Iron Halo; Frag Grenades
    @151 points

Chaplain Lex Torvus
    1 Reclusiarch with Bolt Pistol; Jump Pack; Frag Grenades
    @107 points

Elites

7 Assault Marines with 5 Bolt Pistols; 2 Flamers; 7 Close Combat Weapons; Furious Charge
    1 Assault Marine Sergeant with Bolt Pistol; Terminator Honours; Power Fist; Furious Charge
    @242 points

7 Assault Marines with 5 Bolt Pistols; 2 Flamers; 7 Close Combat Weapons; Furious Charge
    1 Assault Marine Sergeant with Bolt Pistol; Terminator Honours; Power Fist; Furious Charge; Melta Bombs
    @247 points

Troops

6 Scouts with 5 Bolters; 1 Missile Launcher
    @88 points

@88 points

@88 points

@88 points

9 Scouts with Bolt Pistols; Close Combat Weapons
    1 Scout Sergeant with Bolt Pistol; Terminator Honours; Power Fist
    @158 points

5 Tactical Marines with 4 Bolters; 1 Melta Gun
    1 Tactical Marine Sergeant with Bolt Pistol; Terminator Honours; Power Fist
    @130 points

Fast Attack

6 Assault Marines with 4 Bolt Pistols; 2 Plasma Pistols; 6 Close Combat Weapons; Furious Charge
    1 Assault Marine Sergeant with Bolt Pistol; Terminator Honours; Power Fist; Furious Charge
    @215 points

6 Assault Marines with 4 Bolt Pistols; 2 Plasma Pistols; 6 Close Combat Weapons; Furious Charge
    @215 points

1 Drop Pod (second Tactical Squad)
    @30 points

Total Points: 1847
    Total Models: 73

Comments?

Drop Pod isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by Lost Nemesis; December 21st, 2006 at 04:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I am unfamiliar with Raven Guard's fluff, so keep that in mind.

For the most part I like the list.

I think an extra 15 points to upgrade to a Master would be worthwhile. An extra wound for him, and 1 extra ld for everybody in the army sounds like a good use of 15 points to me.

I'm not convinced the Scout squads are equipped correctly. With all the Assault guys you have, I think the purpose of the scouts should be to scare your opponent into firing at them. When firing at your scouts, they are NOT firing on your assault guys. I would recommend switching the 2 bolter scouts and the 1 sniper scout squad for another 10 man bp/ccw scout squad with power fisted sergeant, but I don't know if this will break your fluff. This way, your opponent is pretty much doomed either way. With a power fist, and a high number of attacks, he cannot afford to ignore the 2nd turn charge the Scouts can accomplish, but even if he manages to eliminate both squads, your assault squads will reach him mostly unharmed. Or he can focus on the Assault squads, only to find a couple of scout squads in his face on turn 2. This does however create a lack of AT fire-power, but honestly at 1850 I think the list is seriously lacking in this department anyway if facing Skimmers. I would like to see some more las/plas squads.

I like the Drop Pod. I have a lot of success with 1 or 2 Drop Pods as a way to fill holes in your lines. They are a good way to respond to a changing battle, and if your rolls suck and they don’t come in till late…it's not a huge loss.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The reason I have the three Scout squads set up as they are is as follows:

For the Missile Launcher squads, they are cheap, anti-tank (which is sorely needed), and.. well, are cheap. They are good scoring units and good at hitting the side AV of enemy vehicles, as well as taking out pesky units such as Tau Crisis Suits.

The Snipers are in there because.. well, I pretty much just wanted Snipers, not much more to it than that. They will help me to pin my enemies (predominantly Tau) and will force saves, hopefully. If not, then they are still another scoring unit that is cheap.

Dunno if that makes sense, but that's my reasoning behind the two types of squads.

As for more Las/Plas squads... I wouldn't mind them, but they aren't ultra fluffy. Raven Guard = Assault Squads, Scouts, Drop Pods, and they do rely heavily on Scouts for most of their stuff. The single Las/Plas squad is in there because they're cheap, a scoring unit, and I needed s'more decent anti-tank.

Thanks for the feedback.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

6 Tactical Marines with 4 Bolters; 1 Plasma Gun; 1 Lascannon
    @115 points
    I just can't help but 'eeep!' at this. I know that it isn't a massive point sink, but only a single one of these units is almost literally useless. Since they're Troops, they're deployed fairly early on, and this makes them really easy to avoid. Maybe it's just my personal bias, but I can't see this unit doing much to help you. I'm tempted to suggest another unit of Scouts with a missile launcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake28 View Post
    I just can't help but 'eeep!' at this. I know that it isn't a massive point sink, but only a single one of these units is almost literally useless. Since they're Troops, they're deployed fairly early on, and this makes them really easy to avoid. Maybe it's just my personal bias, but I can't see this unit doing much to help you. I'm tempted to suggest another unit of Scouts with a missile launcher.
    Hmm. I can see where you're going with this - the biggest problem is simply the ML's strength. I'm not sure I can rely on S8 through the whole game, but hopefully that Melta Gun will help.

I could do another Scout squad with ML, leaving me 27 points.. plus the 9 I have leftover.. 36 total points to work with. Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cant do much with 36 points in a SM army, but I would use them to get an extra marine or two if you want to use them up. I can't think of a better way, unless you want to add a few more upgrades to your squads, like furious charge or something.

But I would definately get Shrike and his wing if you plan to bump up to 2000 points. I like them very much, they are also a lot of fun to model.

I just realized, you have 4th company Rg. Guess that leaves Shrike out of the picture (keeping fluff in mind, he is 3rd company)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kshrike View Post
    You cant do much with 36 points in a SM army, but I would use them to get an extra marine or two if you want to use them up. I can't think of a better way, unless you want to add a few more upgrades to your squads, like furious charge or something.

But I would definately get Shrike and his wing if you plan to bump up to 2000 points. I like them very much, they are also a lot of fun to model.

I just realized, you have 4th company Rg. Guess that leaves Shrike out of the picture (keeping fluff in mind, he is 3rd company)
    I'm not a fan of Shrike, really, and I prefer to go with my own fluff (hence 4th Co. instead of non-specified).

With those 36 points, I can take maybe 15 of them to upgrade my Captain to "Master" status and..... I don't know. Maybe I'll upgrade the Combat Shield to an Iron Halo to give him a better invulnerable save, as there isn't too much more to do. Maybe I'll equip one of the Assault Squads with Melta Bombs...

edit: List edited. Upgraded Captain to Master, replaced Combat Shield with Iron Halo, swapped out min/max squad of Marines for ML squad of Scouts, added Melta Bombs to an Assault Marine Sergeant.

edit2: Edited again. Dropped Sniper squad, added another ML squad of Scouts.
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; December 21st, 2006 at 04:06.

+ Reply to Thread