[1700] Friendly First Try army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1700] Friendly First Try army

Hello all;

I've read for awhile and enjoyed collecting, playing smaller combat patrols with my space marines. Finally I have enough pieces collected to start working on larger armies, and wanted to post for your help! The below list I have most collected already, the few extra pieces not inclusive would be TLLC/ML Dread, LST's (2-3), Rhino/Razorback, and a few other scouts/ML's/Termies/Chaplains etc. So I have some room to retool the list

My army is a for-fun army and it'll be fairly fluffy (i believe the term?). Basically my army is an army that was cut off on a foreign world from any resupply from their parent Ultramarines chapter. It's been years deep in enemy territory on a devastated oceanic waterworld and the marines resources are dwindling. Their core contingent is reduced to those warriors with the bravery and wits to last in service to the Emperor (hence the many vets). It's also reflected in the reduced amount of vehicles in my list, where other vehicles were sacrificed to the machine Gods in order to keep their brothers alive. I've been having fun painting a darker midnight blue on my models (reflecting their own honor to each other and changing their war colors after so long) and rubbing ultramarine blue highlights in certain areas to give it the impression at the darker color was painted on the troops without much in resources. My company has been gone for so long they're adapting to live as they can, up against a superior force they wait for the call to rise up and serve their Emperor once more.

Anyways, the list is a shooty list that I aimed for, with many infiltration units pressing forward, forming a veteran line, with tac support in behind, and long range heavy artillery raining fire over their heads to strike the moving armor or to force the enemy to come a certain way (via the whirlwinds catachan missiles if chosen, or by using the many LC's and detonating peripheral vehicles)

Traits
    Trust Your Battle Brothers
    See, But Don't be Seen
    Eye to Eye

HQ

Commander (Master)
    Power Weapon

Command Squad
    Sergeant w/ Term Honors and 2x Lightning Claw
    Apothecary
    Company Champion
    Standard Bearer
    S.Marine w/ bolters x4
    295 points

Troops

Scout Squad ( 7 )
    Sniper Rifle x6
    Missile Launcher
    141 points

Tactical Squad ( 10 )
    Heavy Bolter
    Plasmagun
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

215 points

Tactical Squad ( 10 )
    Heavy Bolter
    Plasmagun
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

215 points

Elites

Veteran Squad ( 8 )
    Serg. w/ Term Honors and Power Fist
    Power Fist
    Flamer
    Frag Grenades
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

Veteran Squad ( 8 )
    Power Fist
    Flamer
    Frag Grenades
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

Heavy Support

Predator Annihilator w/ LC Side Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    140 points

Whirlwind
    Extra Armor
    90 points

Devastator Squad ( 8 )
    Lascannon x3
    Heavy Bolter x1
    240 points

Total: 1830 Points!

Wishing to be: 1700 Points!

This is my problem, currently I can drop below to 1700 if i were to remove various trait skills and a couple pieces from my Command Squad but I'd like to have this army as a fluffier/for fun army and want to include those. Would anyone be able to post suggestions from your own experience? I still haven't gotten my feet wet with large armies like this.

Oh! One more, most common enemies I'll be facing: Chaos Marines (emperors children), Imperial Guard, Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Eigen View Post
    Traits
    Trust Your Battle Brothers
    See, But Don't be Seen
    Eye to Eye

Commander (Master)
    Power Weapon
    HQ's in the Space Marine codex do not come with a bolt pistol, so if you want them to get the extra attack for having 2 CCW, you have to buy it out of the armory. Also, he really needs Terminator Honors. Consider using a chaplain instead if you're using him for assaulting.

Command Squad
    Sergeant w/ Term Honors and 2x Lightning Claw
    Apothecary
    Company Champion
    Standard Bearer
    S.Marine w/ bolters x4
    295 points
    Drop the Standard Bearer. They are a waste of points. Also, a power fist is much better on your Sergeant.

Scout Squad ( 7 )
    Sniper Rifle x6
    Missile Launcher
    141 points
    Fine, no problems. I, like a lot of people, don't particularly like snipers. They usually under perform, but if you like them, and they work for you, then stick with them.

Tactical Squad ( 10 )
    Heavy Bolter
    Plasmagun
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

215 points

Tactical Squad ( 10 )
    Heavy Bolter
    Plasmagun
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

215 points
    A few problems with this squad. A squad should 1 job, and then only the equipment that is best suited to that job. You have 10 guys that all have to stand still to shoot 1 Heavy Bolter. You need to either get rid of the Heavy Bolter, or cut the squad down to 5 guys.

Veteran Squad ( 8 )
    Power Fist
    Flamer
    Frag Grenades
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

Veteran Squad ( 8 )
    Power Fist
    Flamer
    Frag Grenades
    Infiltrate
    Counterattack/True Grit

Flamers in squads that only move 6" is not very good. Go with a plasma gun, or if you want to stick with an assault weapon, go with a melta gun.

Predator Annihilator w/ LC Side Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    140 points
    Typically the Heavy Bolter sponsons are better. With LC's on the side you have to stay still to shoot. If you move you waste 66% of your firepower. With HB's on the side you can move and shoot all of your weapons.

Whirlwind
    Extra Armor
    90 points
    A whirlwind does not need any upgrades. It should be placed behind a nice piece of terrain and not moved.

Devastator Squad ( 8 )
    Lascannon x3
    Heavy Bolter x1
    240 points
    You are breaking 2 rules here. Rule 1 is combining weapons with different rolls. HB's are for infantry, LC's are for tanks. The second rule is not combining weapons of different ranges. This squad would be much better off with 4 ML's. Lascannons are just too expensive in a Dev squad, plus it's a lot of points of shots going into the same target. You have a good chance of destroying the tank with 1 or 2 shots…wasting the others. ML's are much less expensive, and are themselves versatile as you can always switch to the frag rocket if facing a horde army.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to do that! Alot of those mistakes just come from not doing this before but it helps me focus on what to update as well...

One opinion I'd like to ask for here though, reducing the tac squads down to 5 members would solve most of the points problems, as well as making suggestions as you put there, but unit/piece wise does this seem coherant as well? Or should I look at more fast attack, less heavies?

+ Reply to Thread