2k radical with kroot mercenaries - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

2k radical with kroot mercenaries

HQ-406

Inquisitor Lord with thunder hammer, bolt pistol, targeter
    Acolyte with artificier armor
    Acolyte with storm shield
    134 points

5 shapers with wings and plasma rifles
    275 points

Elites-401

3 Daemonhosts
    255 points

Inquisitor with psycannon and targeter
    2 Sages
    3 warriors with heavy bolters
    146 points

Troops-850

5 IST with 2 plasma guns
    Chimera with multi laser, hullmounted heavy bolter and storm bolter
    170 points

5 IST with 2 plasma guns
    170 points

5 IST with 2 plasma guns
    170 points

5 IST with 2 plasma guns
    170 points

5 IST with 2 plasma guns
    Chimera with multi laser, hullmounted heavy bolter, storm bolter and smoke launchers
    173 points

Fast Attack-190

10 kroot with 15 kroot hounds and hyper active nymune organ adaptation
    220 points

Heavy Support-150

Lance Strike
    70 points

10 Hunter Kindred
    80 points

Total-2000

This is my first attempt at a daemon hunter army list. I relise it is a strange choice of units, but I love the idea of using daemon hosts and the kroot can add some body count. The cc Inquisitor is mainly there because it is compulsary and it will act as a diversionary squad that could kill some things if it does make it to cc. The kroot hounds are to add body count as well as a quick cc swarm to tie up squads, sorrey, I'm having a little trouble away from nid tactics.

Tell me what you guys think, and feel free to rip it apart. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Really sorrey for posting this in the wrong section. I appologize. I thought that I had hit the army list button, but I guess I missed and just started writing it in this section.

Last edited by Warrior47; January 2nd, 2007 at 06:43.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Although I've looked over the Kroot Mercs list, I can't claim any practical experience with it. Nobody I've encountered has played it, and the only regular interaction I otherwise with Kroot is in my friend's Tau army, where it's just a small contingent. So my comments are going to be limited, as I don't want to unwittingly lead you astray.

I think you are criminally short of anti-armour weaponry. You've got 5 Chimera-mounted squads of ISTs, yet none of them have melta guns. I would trade in two, maybe even three of those plasma/Chimera squads for melta/Rhino tank-hunters instead. With the points saved from taking Rhinos over Chimeras -- which work better for rush squads than -- get extra IST models to help fill out your plasma squads. I like to see at least 8 models in those squads to give the firebase some punch and protection.

Also, there's never a good reason to choose the Lance OS over the Melta Torpedo OS. Armoured opponents will never fear the Lance because it is almost never going to score a direct hit, and that means that, at best, it'll be at 1/2 strength, meaning that it can't do any better than hope to glance AV 11. Not good odds. The melta, even at 1/2 strength has a good chance to glance and even penetrate high AVs. Besides, it's still an excellent anti-infantry weapon, too, as it will insta-kill MEQs.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

Okay, thanks. I have read a few kroot tacticas and played with my friends on occassion, so I know how they work okay. If you want the rules they are now free online incase you don't have them. I was just mainly asking for advice over overall army composition and the daemonhunter components. This is actually though the second version, (I hadn't seen that you can't use LRs without a a grey knight hero) so I had been counting on them for some of the anti tank attacks. Would it be advantagous to get one as a transport for the Inquisitor lord, not primarily to act as a transport but to provide some extra anti tank and screening?

I could also maybe switch out the kroot shapers to melta guns if I needed to considering it would keep the same cost and they would be jump infantry. I just realized how many anti heavy infantry shots that I have so I'll change out the orbital strikes and such.

Here is a modified version

HQ-406

134 points

275 points

Elites-401

3 Daemonhosts
    255 points

Inquisitor with psycannon and targeter
    2 Sages
    146 points

Troops-846

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

7 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    rhino with smoke launchers and extra armor
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    rhino with smoke launchers
    123 points

Fast Attack-190

190 points

Heavy Support-160

Melta Torpedo
    80 points

10 Hunter Kindred
    80 points

Total-1998
    Last edited by Warrior47; January 2nd, 2007 at 17:46.

I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Definitely better. But there's one element of your list I overlooked first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47
    134 points
    I know you're playing radical, and I can also see that you have lots of anti-infantry firepower in your army, but even so, a close combat inquisitor just isn't going to cut it. Your Kroot are much better suited to that task than any CC inquisitor. This guy, in particular, lacks bodies, power, and a transport to get him to his target. You'll need to spend a lot more points to get anything at all out of this guy.

And yet, there is just no way to pump enough points and pimp out with enough wargear to make a CC inquisitor squad effective. I'd always go shooty with him: inquisitor lord with psycannon and auspex, 1-3 gun servitors (I prefer a plasma cannon and 0-2 heavy bolters), 2 sages, 1-2 mystics, and 0-3 acolytes with bolters and possibly carapace armour, too. This won't cost you [much] more than what you've got here, but it will also be far deadlier. It's just aobut the most cost-efficient fire support squad in the game.

I can understand the desire to buy a land raider for some extra punch. And depending on how you play the game, what rules you pay attention to, it may even count as a scoring unit despite being bought as a dedicated transport. (See the latest Space Marines codex.) If you want to do that, I'd drop your short plasma IST squad and grab a few points from elsewhere to make it happen.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

Yeah, I relise that the cc inquisitors just can't cut it, but I'm faced with a problem here. I am forced to use the Inquisitor lord because I need the HQ choice and because of the daemon hosts I can't have a grey knight. The cc one seemed the cheapest for this purpose while still having some usefullness. I could take out the elite inquisitor and use the points to make the cc inquisitor a shooty one although this is less efficient for his points. Then I could drop one of the IST squads, use the extra points from that and from dropping the cc on the cc Inquisitor to buy the land raider. Here is a modified list that I think finally looks good to me, and hopefully others as well.

HQ-696

Inquisitor lord with psycannon and targeter
    2 Sages
    Land Raider Transport
    421 points

275 points

Elites-255

3 Daemonhosts
    255 points

Troops-774

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    123 points

Fast Attack-190

190 points

Heavy Support-80

10 Hunter Kindred
    80 points

Total-2000

I got rid of the melta torpedo and the elite inquisitor. Then I changed one of the IST squads to one of the melta rushers and changed the Inquisitor lord to a shooty one and gave him a landraider.

Although I'm semi mourning the loss of the orbital strike, I think that I would prefer to have the squad of melta rushing ISTs instead because they have more models, a vehicle, are more tacticly flexible as well as being a little more reliable. I hope I'm not wrong about this but it seemed a good trade off to me.

For anti tank I now have a land raider and 3 IST rushers as well as several squads of plasma for smaller vehicles. If I need more, the kroot could be switched to meltas for the same points, as could the Inquisitor retinue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Yeah, I relise that the cc inquisitors just can't cut it, but I'm faced with a problem here. I am forced to use the Inquisitor lord because I need the HQ choice and because of the daemon hosts I can't have a grey knight. The cc one seemed the cheapest for this purpose while still having some usefullness. I could take out the elite inquisitor and use the points to make the cc inquisitor a shooty one although this is less efficient for his points.
    You've got it backwards, really. A shooty Inq unit is significantly more efficient for their cost. Sure, they cost *more* than the cc Inq unit, but that doesn't mean the cheaper unit is the better one.

2 Sages
    Warriors come with Targeters, so that isn't necessary.

Try and find room for a Mystic here as well.

Land Raider Transport
    Why? The Inq's unit is for long-ranged shooting, they should spend all of their time on foot and firing! Never get a transport for such a unit. Also, remember that a LR or LRC is basically a one "wound" model, but for enourmous cost - a single lascannon shot can take it out. Conversely, a single lascannon shot cannot take out an entire ~250pt squad of anything.

275 points

3 Daemonhosts
    255 points
    Lots of points for very few models here too. Especially in the Shaper squad, where each model can potentially self-destruct.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I like this final list quite a bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    HQ-696

2 Sages
    Land Raider Transport
    421 points
    Like mEGA noted, the targeter isn't necessary, and a mystic is definitely handy if you can get one.

I'm almost always in 100% agreement with him on land raiders, too. I personally never use one, and generally think that they are more of a points sink than a useful addition to a DH army. However, I don't really think this thing is costing you, in your specific list, all that much. In fact, I think it serves as a useful fire magnet helping to protect your fragile troops from too much enemy fire. Definitely drive the thing empty, however. Or, at most, use it to deposit your inquisitor into a favorable position on turn 1. The rest of the time, use it as for anti-armour, mobile terrain, fire magnet.
    Troops-774

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    123 points
    I like your IST selections very much. That said...
    Fast Attack-190

190 points
    Love it! I think kroot with lots o' hounds are awesome. Definitely one of the most amazing units in the game for the points. (Especially if woods or jungle terrain are on the board.) Have you considered dropping one of your IST squads (probably a melta one) to get a Troops selection of Kroot with a bunch of hounds?
    I got rid of the melta torpedo and the elite inquisitor.
    The elite inquisitor you never really needed, and I have to admit that, as much as I honestly enjoy using Orbital Strikes, they are often tossed out in favor of other things in my lists. With that land raider, you probably don't need the OS at all. But even with the LR, you have a pretty expansive list where points can be scrounged. Add it in sometime and experiment. It's particularly fun for cities of death and other high-terrain games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

The land raider is a transport simply because it was the only way that I could get a vehicle heavier than a chimera into the list. It is also very close to the cheapest source of lascannons that I could get, takes up no slots that I didn't already have being taken up and can act as a screener or fire magnet, which it was intended to. I think I'll play it and if it doesn't work, take it out.

The kroot won't be instantly killed by an overheat considering they each have several wounds.

I had been omiting mystics because I thought that they only worked on daemons but now that I reread it I think I'll try it.

I think I overlooked the kroot needing a shaper so it is now changed in this updated list. I'm out of town and the computer I'm on can only do basic internet and is dial up so I'll check the kroot codex in a few days to make sure everything is okay, but I think it all is now. I have replaced one of the IST squads with a kroot one mainly because I needed the points, but it also gives me a little more of a cc squad that can slow down enemies or act as a counter assault squad, plus they are still decent at shooting.

HQ-708

Inquisitor lord with psycannon
    2 Sages
    2 mystics
    Land Raider Transport
    421 points

275 points

Elites-255

3 Daemonhosts
    255 points

Troops-774

8 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

7 IST with 2 plasma guns
    200 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

5 IST with 2 melta guns
    128 points

10 kroot
    1 shaper
    101 points

Fast Attack-211

9 kroot with 15 kroot hounds and hyper active nymune organ adaptation
    1 Shaper
    211 points

Heavy Support-80

10 Hunter Kindred
    80 points

Total-2000

+ Reply to Thread