PLEASE HELP New Ultramarine army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PLEASE HELP New Ultramarine army

HQ:
    Captain:106
    -dual lighting claws
    -master crafted weapon
    -frags

Elites:
    Veteran Squad(the captain will join them):247
    -6 marines with bp and cc weapon
    -one with lighting claw pair
    -one with power weapon
    one vet serge with power fist

Troops:
    Tactical squad-150
    -9 marines with bolters
    -1 serge with bolter

Scouts- 180
    -9 scouts with snipers
    -1 serge with sniper

Rhino(for the captain and vets)-58
    -extra armor
    -smoke launchers

Heavy Support:
    Devi squad-230
    -2 marines with lascannon
    -2 marines with missile launcher
    -3 marines with bolters
    -1 serge

971 points (still got 29 left!)
    40 troops
    one vehicle

While the captain and vets move in in the rhino and fight cc, the tactical squad will slowly advance, givving supporting fire. the scouts will go and pin the hq and other elite like guys. the devis will kill some tanks and win the game!
    i have never played a game of warhammer 40k. all i have so far are 13 marines with bolters and a serge with pitol and cc.
    any advice? i want a somewhat universal army, so it can fight chaos, space marines, tau, tyrandids and the lot. so thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

-dual lighting claws
    -master crafted weapon
    -frags
    no termie honors? you should always take it. otherwise, good.

Elites:
    -one with power weapon
    veterans can have a vet. skill for free. take furious charge becuase it will go nicely with the all the power weapons, and any indipendent character joining the unit does get it. its a tad bit expensive for a 6 man squad. try cutting back just a bit, while still keeping it effective. i think you could probably drop the sergeant. althoagh it is nice to have a powerfist, i don't think power weapons would be better if you do decide to give them furious charge.

Troops:
    Tactical squad-150
    -9 marines with bolters
    -1 serge with bolter
    if you can spare the points, give them a rhino so they can keep up w/ your vets/captain and provide support.

Scouts- 180
    -9 scouts with snipers
    -1 serge with sniper
    snipers are over rated. close combat scouts are better

-extra armor
    -smoke launchers

Heavy Support:
    Devi squad-230
    -3 marines with bolters
    -1 serge
    cut back a bit on this unit a bit.

also, maybe consider a speeder or a cheap predator if you can spare the points

hope i helped some, or not...
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay so, the vet squad is 9 man (with the captain it will be ten)
    so i will get cc scouts and a rhino for em

HQ:
    Captain:121
    -dual lighting claws
    -master crafted weapon
    -frags
    -termi honors

Elites:
    -one with power weapon

Troops:
    Tactical squad-150
    -9 marines with bolters
    -1 serge with bolter

Scouts- 130
    -9 scouts with cc
    -1 serge with cc

-extra armor
    -smoke launchers

Rhino(for the scouts)-58
    -extra armor
    -smoke

Heavy Support:
    Devi squad-230
    -3 marines with bolters
    -1 serge

994 points (still got 29 left!)
    40 troops
    two vehicle

so this is a revised version. should i trade out the devis for a pred? if so, what kind should i get and what sponsons? i will send in two rhinos with the scouts and captain and vet but i don't really want to get one for my tactical (do i really need one for their purpose in my army?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by alexpape7
    snipers are over rated. close combat scouts are better.
    How can you say that they are over rated. They are very effective against many armys. I totally will have to disagree with what you siad. How close do you think the scouts will get to an army. Not to close. They will be the first thing that they shoot at.
    He needs shooty stuff not close combat.

HQ:
    -dual lighting claws
    -master crafted weapon
    -frags
    No No No. You really don't need a master crafted for the lightning claws. Considering you re-roll for the wounds. I would of taken a chaplain with jump pack because he is better at close combat than the master.
    Use this link to see some good choices on what to give the master.
    Click here

Elites:
    -one with power weapon
    To many points on just 6 models. They will get ripped apart eventually and that is basically 1/5 of your army. They will take wounds form close combat and then if you don't consolidate they will rep you to shreds from shooting you. And your Rhino probably won't get that close.

Troops:
    Tactical squad-150
    -9 marines with bolters
    -1 serge with bolter

Scouts- 130
    -9 scouts with cc
    -1 serge with cc

-extra armor
    -smoke launchers

Rhino(for the scouts)-58
    -extra armor
    -smoke
    Why in a Rhino why not infiltrate the scouts. Makes so much more sense. Troops look pretty good I would give them a heavy bolter with a plasma gun. Just so you get some shooting in your army.

Heavy Support:
    Devi squad-230
    -3 marines with bolters
    -1 serge
    Ok this is what I would give them here. 2 heavy bolters and 2 lascannons.

Overall not to good. You will get shot down so easily. Veterans will die pretty fast along with the master and I wouldn't plan on them getting to close to the enemey because the Rhino will be shot down really fast. Try getting your vets to less points.
    Last edited by The Toon; January 8th, 2007 at 03:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    No No No. You really don't need a master crafted for the lightning claws. Considering you re-roll for the wounds. I would of taken a chaplain with jump pack because he is better at close combat than the master.
    Use this link to see some good choices on what to give the master.
    Click here

To many points on just 6 models. They will get ripped apart eventually and that is basically 1/5 of your army. They will take wounds form close combat and then if you don't consolidate they will rep you to shreds from shooting you. And your Rhino probably won't get that close.

Why in a Rhino why not infiltrate the scouts. Makes so much more sense. Troops look pretty good I would give them a heavy bolter with a plasma gun. Just so you get some shooting in your army.

Ok this is what I would give them here. 2 heavy bolters and 2 lascannons.

Overall not to good. You will get shot down so easily. Veterans will die pretty fast along with the master and I wouldn't plan on them getting to close to the enemey because the Rhino will be shot down really fast. Try getting your vets to less points.
    everything he said and also a couple more

1. One rhino is a death trap waiting to happen

2.Your retinue is too expensive for 6 meqs.

3. Scouts can be given a support weapon...why not a rocket launcher or heavy bolter?

4. Don't mix heavy weapons in a devestator quad or half the shots will go to waste.

Don't know what Toon was thinking on mixing heavy bolters and lascannons.

2 rocket launchers and 2 lascannons is fine as tank hunting support if there is nothing better....but go 4 rocket launchers and be happy.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

1. One rhino is a death trap waiting to happen
    i have to disagree

although this statement has some truth, it really just depends on if you know how to use a transport effectively. there are several ways to make a rhino effective.

1. don't start your troops in the rhino. that way, if it does get blown away, your guys don't get hurt.
    2. use cover to block line of sight from enemy fire if possible.
    3. one thing i like to do, is first turn, run the rhino up 12" towards your intended destination, and pop smoke. the smoke will give you a pretty good chance of surviving and even if you do get say a crew stunned, you can still move next turn. on second turn, run them up another 12" and deploy the troops behind the rhino and use it to hide behind. the next turn, the dudes are close enough to the target to foot slog the rest of the way, and later on in the battle(if the rhino is still around), it can quickly get you towards some key location if needed.
    4. it helps to have some other vehicals to provide additional targets, so the more the better.

To many points on just 6 models. They will get ripped apart eventually and that is basically 1/5 of your army. They will take wounds form close combat and then if you don't consolidate they will rep you to shreds from shooting you.
    you have a good point toon, this is way too expensive for 6 guys and they are very vulnerable.
    perhaps droping the lightning claws may be good as it will save a good 30pt. although it won't be a crazy good kill everything sluaghter unit, it will still be effective with just bp/ccw and furious charge, and just leave the crazy sluaghtering for your captain w/ lightning claws.

it would be really nice to see some more vehicals if you field any at all to take some heat of your rhino's. may i suggest some landspeeder tornado's as they are cheap and add alot of firepower.

oh, and infiltrate the scouts, i believe it comes free as well.

oh
    Brother_Captain_Devon, i meant give the tac squad the rhino, not the scouts.
    Last edited by Koss; January 8th, 2007 at 04:31.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, once again. there are TEN (10) vets. read carfully. I forgot about infiltrate. i don't really want a chap with jump pack cause then he won't fit in with the vets, the TEN vets. also, should i find a way to stick a land raider in there so they have better transport (i could also get rid of devies then cause the land raider has two twinlinked lascannons. are snipers affective or not!?! they seem like they would be for picking off infantry. and i will remove the master crafted. are iron halos good and what about artificer armor and combat shield? i want some guys to assault and occupy the enemy while the rest shoot the enemy to shreds.

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Captain_Devon View Post
    okay, once again. there are TEN (10) vets. read carfully. I forgot about infiltrate. i don't really want a chap with jump pack cause then he won't fit in with the vets, the TEN vets. also, should i find a way to stick a land raider in there so they have better transport (i could also get rid of devies then cause the land raider has two twinlinked lascannons. are snipers affective or not!?! they seem like they would be for picking off infantry. and i will remove the master crafted. are iron halos good and what about artificer armor and combat shield? i want some guys to assault and occupy the enemy while the rest shoot the enemy to shreds.
    If the vets infiltrate you cannot take a rhino at all. (I mean not even on the board)

landraiders cannot shoot the lascannons if it moves....only the twin-linked heavy bolter. So I don't like it too much as a transport.

snipers are for killing monstrous creatures and pinning small squads. They're nice but only in some situations.

iron halos are a must for your captain so he has a chance surviving a powerfist or power weapon attack in close combat.

artificer armor is great....the question is if you are willing to spare points for it. I personllay only take it when I know I will be flooded by a mass of non-power weapon attacks in CC. (hormagaunts)

combat shield is a cheaper version of an iron halo.

your assault capability is too focused and expensive. Watch a dreadnought wipe the entire thing out if your single powerfist doesn't get lucky. (and that squad is worth about two dreadnoughts) or even worse watch a Slannesh Daemonprince kill at least half of the squad before you even get to hit.

Watch out for Ap-3 ordnance also. A lucky hit means instant death to the entire squad.

your shooting ability is....meh....looks like mine. Its not going to be enough.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so instead of the vet squad, should i get two dreads with drop pods, and then get a chaplain with jump pack to patrol my shooty lines incase of an attack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

landraiders cannot shoot the lascannons if it moves....only the twin-linked heavy bolter. So I don't like it too much as a transport.
    Actually it can shoot 1 defensive weapon (TL heavy bolters) and one main weapon (TL lascannons) under the 4th edition vehicle rules. Since it has Power of the Machine Spirit it can fire one additional weapon (TL lascannons) than it would normally be allowed to at BS 2. So you can fire all weapons if you move 6 inches or less.

Personally the only Land Raider worth taking is the Land Raider Crusader and only then in games of 1500pts or more at the earliest, a predator annihilator is better suited for tank hunting than a LR. Make the vets into a command squad and infiltrate them all.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast