1000 pts Grey Knights as Allies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

1000 pts Grey Knights as Allies

Ok. I've arranged to gate crash into someone elses 40k game next Monday. Instead of 2000 points of witch hunters vs 2000 points of space marines the witch hunter player has invited me to provide half his force as a legal 1000 point Grey Knight ally contingent. I would have liked to take my dreadnought but Heavy support cant be used as I am the allies.

My compatriot will have an Inquisitor HQ & retinue, 1 exorcist, 2 DC assasins, a vindicare and sisters filling up the rest.

The opposition has a land raider, Terminator chaplin with assault squad, 2 Pred, 2 Dread, 10 Jump pack marines and several tactical squads.

I was thinking of...

HQ:
    Brother captain
    Retinue of 4 Terminators including 1 psi cannon
    270 pts

Troops:
    8 IST including 2 Melta guns
    Rhino with extra armour and smoke
    158 pts

10 Grey Knights including Justicar
    275 pts

Fast Attack:
    10 Grey Knights including Justicar with meltabomb
    280 pts

This gives me another 17 points to play with. I was thinking of a hunter killer missile on the Rhino as a nice surprise and maybe frag grenades ir targeters on the justicars.

Do the retinue count as an elites choice for me being part of the HQ. If not it would allow me to use an inquisitor with 3 plasma gun warriors and 2 sages (dropping 4 grey knights).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    HQ:
    Brother captain
    Retinue of 4 Terminators including 1 psi cannon
    270 pts
    Since you can't take dreads anyway, there's no reason to slot this as an HQ squad. Take it as elites. Same cost, but then your BC isn't an independent character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat
    Do the retinue count as an elites choice for me being part of the HQ. If not it would allow me to use an inquisitor with 3 plasma gun warriors and 2 sages (dropping 4 grey knights).
    Eh, not really that great a set-up for an inquisitor. Unless your ally is taking a Retributor squad replete with heavy bolters, your army will be short on long-range fire support. A standard shooty inquisitor lord loadout would be more useful to the army as a whole. (Inquisitor with psycannon and auspex, 1-3 gun servitors, 2 sages, 1-2 mystics, 0-3 acolytes with bolters and carapace armour.)
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

I can answer your (Mad Cat) question and point out a related error at the same time:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat
    Do the retinue count as an elites choice for me being part of the HQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by number6
    Take it as elites. Same cost, but then your BC isn't an independent character.
    When a GK Hero is given a GKT bodyguard, they occupy the same slot. This means, if you buy a HQ-level Brother-Captain, he can get a GKT bodyguard and they ALL occupy the same (HQ) slot.

If you buy the GKT unit as an Elite unit, and join the HQ Brother-Captain to them, you're using up one HQ and one Elite slot. The benefit is that the Brother-Captain is free to "disconnect" himself from the GKT unit - he isn't permanently attached to them. The downside is that this unit actually has two Brother-Captains - one HQ Brother-Captain that you added on, and the Elite unit leader Brother-Captain that comes with the Elite GKT unit. Brother-Captains provide no real usefulness for their added cost, so this isn't an advantageous quirk.

If you buy just the Elite GKT unit, you get a single Brother-Captain as the squad's mandatory unit leader. He cannot leave the squad, but he still counts as an Independent Character (sorry, number6).

Regardless of what path you take, all Brother-Captains are always counted as Independent Characters when in melee - ie, the enemy can always single them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC View Post
    If you buy just the Elite GKT unit, you get a single Brother-Captain as the squad's mandatory unit leader. He cannot leave the squad, but he still counts as an Independent Character (sorry, number6).

Regardless of what path you take, all Brother-Captains are always counted as Independent Characters when in melee - ie, the enemy can always single them out.
    I checked the 'dex and the Elite choice Terminator Brother-Captain isn't listed as being an Independent Character, so number6 is right: they are essentially the same as any other squad leader, and can contribute to combat even if they aren't b2b... hey that actually might be a good place to stick a Daemonhammer... hmmmm, interesting...

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC View Post

As Hasten notes, the BC of an elite GKT unit is no more an independent character than the Justicar of a PAGK squad.

However, your point about buying a GK Hero BC and joining him to an elite GKT squad is still valid. I think the downsides outweigh any benefits of doing so, and would recommend that if you need a GK Hero, you take the BC and either give him a retinue or walk him naked, but don't purchase an elite GKT squad for him to join. And if you don't need the GK Hero -- which for allies you really don't -- take an allied elite GKT squad if you can spare the slot.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread