Librarium Online Forums banner

850 pts. tournament

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  The_Familiar 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been posting in the chaos forums for a while, mostly because I haven't been using my marines lately. Anyways I am experimenting with lists trying to make one that will work for the league at my store. Well here goes:

Traits-Cleanse and purify
We stand alone

HQ-Epistolary-125
Fury of the ancients
BP
frags

Troops-10-man marine squad-175
1-Plasma gun

Troops-10-man marine squad-175
2-plasma gun

Troops-5-man marine squad-90
LC

Troops-5-man marine squad-80
heavy bolter

Elite-Venerable Dreadnought-143
missile launcher
assault cannon
extra armor
smoke

Fast Attack-LST-80

Total:850

Unfortunately I don't have my codex with me so I may be a bit inaccurate, just let me know if I am.

See less See more
#2 ·
HQ-Epistolary-125
Fury of the ancients
BP
frags
Bionics
Librarians are great, they fill an important roll in certain armies. But they are also the most expensive HQ choice, and I think too expensive for such a small list.

Troops-10-man marine squad-185
Plasma gun
Sarge-termie honours
Power Wep.
I would say to dump the T-Honors and PW at this point level. You want your guys shooting, not assaulting. But if you really want that protection, go with a power fist instead. Twice as good for only a few more points.

Troops-10-man marine squad-211
flamer
Infiltrate
Sarge- termie honours
Power weapon
Same as above, but also dump the flamer. Flamers on a unit that only moves 6" is a big no-no. They are almost totally useless. Stick with the plasma gun. Also, unless you're gonna infiltrate that other squad too, I would not do it. Otherwise these guys will be all out by themselves with no support or backup.

Troops-5-man marine squad-105
LC
Tank Hunters
At 850 points, you really don't need Tank Hunters. I think they are wasted points. A LC should be more then enough to take out any armor at this point level.

Troops-5-man marine squad-80
heavy bolter
Good choice, most people will stick as many guys as they can in, so 'crowd control' weapons will be useful.

Elite-Venerable Dreadnought-143
missile launcher
assault cannon
extra armor
Smoke
Nice unit, but I think the Venerable is too many points for such a small game. I would rather spend those points, combined with the other points that you wasted in areas and try to add an LST.

#3 ·
Well I agree with you on most of what you said, Unfortunately the only other HQ model that I actually have is a chaplain on a bike, which is really good, but he would be more expensive than the libby.

Also about the power weapon, I could use a PF instead, but I used all the PFs that I had for my ACs in my WE army, so I guess I'll take it off and try it out.

Also I'll try to fit in an LST I think they are highly effective, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to scrape up the pts.

I'm going to be editing my list in the first post.

#4 ·
That looks better, just a few more tips.

1) Really, ditch the infiltrate. For 3 reasons. 1) you are spending more then 5% of your points on it...it's awfully expensive, and is costing you guys. 2) It's a huge waste of points, points you can't afford to waste if you roll an Alpha mission. 3) they have no support. You put these guys forward of everyone else in your army and they will flounder. If you really want a squad to infiltrate, give it to your 5 man squad with the heavy bolter, just don't put them so far forward that they can't be covered by your big mobil units.

2)Since you're not using the tank hunter trait, I would go with Cleanse and Purify, and put an extra plasma gun in each squad. Get the points from ditching the infiltrate. 2 10 man mobile squads with 2 plasma guns each will make any 850 point list quake in its boots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.