Inducted IG junior officer and HWT's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inducted IG junior officer and HWT's

I have a fairly mixed up and useless daemonhunter army, of 1500 pts approx, which i am trying to tweak.

I was looking at inducting some IG infantry platoons, so bought a box of cadian troopers. I didn't realise i needed a junior officer.

Anyway, long story short i found a couple of extra IG's on the tank accesory sprues, which i am utilising for the JO and staff. So far i have the officer with beckoning hand and field glasses. The codex says he has Laspistol and CCW or options from the armoury. I thought i would give him a lasgun, but this isn't an option.

The idea being that every member of the platoon would be shooting flashlights at anything that moves, with the heavy weapons firing and plasmagunner also shooting. The pistol seemed pointless as i'm never going to charge them in, and it's limited range meaning he would never shoot, and as they aren't really going to be moving anywhere so the HW can fire, it seemed pointless, apart from it being free.

So the question is would any of you arm the JO with either a bolter or a storm bolter? I personally like the idea of the SB, giving me 2 S4 shots at 24", instead of the 1 S4 at 24" or 2 at 12". With the difference being a paltry 4 points.

But what do you guys take on the JO? Do you sacrifice him having ranged weaponary for free weapons, or do you have him bolster his ranks and fire with them from the front line?

I'm completely inexperienced with IG, even more so in DH, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

PS what HW teams do you use? I have a number of HB's and LC's, and a solitary ML (all from SM bits and pieces) i can convert for HWT in the interim, until i have some spare cash to buy the proper ones. But what do you guys field and why?

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A SB is verry good but for the 5p you can give a dread or Leman Russ some extra armour
    If you wanne give your JO an upgrade wp give him a B because its cheaper and if you have in the command section an HW you aint ganne walk anyway.

But i wouldn't recommand it its not worth it. You can better use those points for HW and/or SW.

As Support Squads i would say some anti tank some anti personal and a sentinel squadron.

Yes you saw it correct a sentinel squadron and you dont have to take a second troop slot for it

In the HWT

I would say some combo's like 1 lasc and 2 missiles or 1 auto and 2 HB, because 3 lasc is a bit expencive

PS if you are really thinking of using alot of guard you can better play with daemonhunter as allies than inducted IG in your daemonhunters. So you can benefit of some docterines.
    Imperial Guard
    Daemonhunters

Warhammer
    Bretonnians
    Ogres
    Goblins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JO's are kinda a waste of time; what I would do is get a commissar and a master vox, plus voxes for all units, so that if the infantry platoon needs to check leadership, they use the JO's ld value, and if he fails, the commissar shoots him and at that point you have a 10 ld value for morale purposes. Don't even bother with the upgrade, but if you are dead set on it, then do the bolter, like collecter said, he aint gonna be moving any. As far as special and heavy weapons go, collecter was on agian, especially with the two ML and one LC because not only is it cheaper, but the ML's can shoot krak or frag making them more versatile than LCs. As far as special weapons go, autocannons are good, but I use heavy bolters all the way as they allow no saves on anything less than a marine, and some other units, but for the most part its anti-infantry goodness. I usually make one whole squad of em' and then put a couple more teams in the leaderships and infantry squads.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

There is no point in giving your inducted IG Commisars and Vox casters as Steel Legionaire suggested because that would be a whooole lotta points to spend on Ld for 1 or two units. DONT DO IT.

Personally, I would not give the JO anything. The point of his unit in a DHs army is to provide a small Ld boost to the infantry squads, but also to provide another squad for a heavy weapon OR multiple speacial weapons.
    One less lasgun is not going to lose the game for you, but saving those valuable points to outfit your much more expensive GKs, just might save the day. NO WEAPON UPGRADE.

As far as HWTs. Give them all las cannons. AT is what those guardsmen are there for. The GKs can take care of everything else (anti infantry, objective taking...) far more effectively than IG. But AT is where those IG units really shine.
    Furthermore, Lascannons are the only heavy weapon that does not cost moore points when put into a heavy weapons team. Dont skimp out and buy more expensive missile launchers. LAS CANNONS.

If it were my army, these would be the options that I would take. However, if you were my opponent I would be more than happy to see a couple of missle launchers aiming at my Land Raider/Leman Russ instead of 3 lascannons. That would deffinately make me sweat. I would also like to see wasted points on unnecesary war gear and upgrades... especially in a core DHs army that can never afford many fringe items.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all the advice. It has been noted for future reference.

Unfortunately IG with DH allies is not going to be an option anytime soon, as i can't justify a 4th army (SW main, 13th Company minor force, and DH which i am currently building). As much as i like some of the IG stuff, i will only be purchasing things i can use in my DH. I must admit i would like some sentinels at some point in the near future!!!

OK so its seems an upgrade of Bolter is not a bad idea - especially for a solitary point, and the SB as good as it is, the points should be spent elsewhere.

Plasma seems to side with the no upgrade and maxing on lascannons, whereas Steel and Collector favour HB and ML's. I guess i should have said that the majority of the armies i face are marine or tank heavy. Against nids and other hoarde armies i can see the relevance of HB and ML. And ok i sacrifice multiple shots/hits for greater strength, my DH's lack strength weapons, so i think i am going to have to go with Plasma on this one.

Until i point up my army my JO is going to have to stay nilla, but what i might do, is magnetise a las pistol and CCW, SB, and Bolter, and greenstuff a carry strap for them, so that he can sling it over his shoulder, which should work quite well with the way he is posed with beckoning arm and field glasses pose. At least if i have a few spare points i can use them up as above.

Cheers for the advice.

Edit: Plasma you said you would take LC's over ML's "Dont skimp out and buy more expensive missile launchers. LAS CANNONS." Am i miss reading this? LC's are 10 pts more than ML's. Did you mean don't take ML's as for the points i could take more ML's than LC's?
    Last edited by Jodfrey; February 14th, 2007 at 14:09.
    Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodfrey View Post
    Plasma you said you would take LC's over ML's "Dont skimp out and buy more expensive missile launchers. LAS CANNONS." Am i miss reading this? LC's are 10 pts more than ML's. Did you mean don't take ML's as for the points i could take more ML's than LC's?
    I was pointing out, that USUALLY a Las cannon costs xxpts and a ML is 10 pts cheaper. However, in a Heavy Weapons Squad... doh! I just realised I miss read your original post. My comment was reguarding the HWSquads rather than the HWTeams. :wacko:
    I was mearly pointing out that ML's cost 5 more points in a HWSquad than usual... and a las cannon does not.
    But, since I was just randomly talking about stuff that had nothing to do with your question... you can disregard
    Last edited by Plasma Catcher; February 14th, 2007 at 15:34.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Plasma's advice is solid on this. Keep the JO and squad cheep. The JO is there for his leadership bubble and nothing else (NO COMISAR, no Vox...IG players may do this but thats just points wasted in a DH army).

In some IG armies they usually put their officers behind terrain with a mortar so their leaders don't get shot and they lose leadership. In a DH army we need heavy weapons so much we really can't afford that luxury. Besides, that Officer and squad should usually be down there on your opponents target priority list ("hmmm target the JO with 1 Missle Launcher or target the squad of GK's walking at me....")
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

+ Reply to Thread