Russian Horde of Death- Valhallan/Vostroyan Hybrid-2000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russian Horde of Death- Valhallan/Vostroyan Hybrid-2000

Hey all, I'm finishing up my Death Guard and am looking to the horizon. My next army will be IG. I plan on using Vostroyan models for the Vets w/ Carapace, Valhallans for the Platoons and probably Cadians for the Conscripts. It will take a very long time, as there are over 200 models in the army, but the Valhallans are already assembled. Doctrines are Conscripts, Close Order Drill, Veterans. Anyway, without further adieu...

HQ

HSO: PF, BP-91
    CO. Squad: MasterVox, Reg. Standard-40
    Total: 131

Commissar Yadmonovich: PF, BP-61
    Commissar Dresinsky: PF, BP-61
    (Both hang with Conscripts)

Elites

Hardened Vets x10: Carapace, 3 Plasmaguns-130
    Hardened Vets x10: Carapace, 3 Plasmaguns-130
    Hardened Vets x10: Carapace, 3 Meltaguns-130

Troops

1st Platoon
    JO: Vox, HB-55
    Squad x10: HB, Vox-75
    Total: 355

2nd Platoon
    JO: Vox, AC-60
    Squad x10: AC, Vox-80
    Total: 380

1st Conscript Platoon
    Conscripts x40: 4 Flamers-196
    2nd Conscript Platoon
    Conscripts x40: 4 Flamers-196

Heavy Support

Basilisk: Indirect Fire-125
    Basilisk: Indirect Fire-125

Total: 2000

Battle Plan: Vets infiltrate and take out heavy infantry/Big Nasties/Tanks. Conscripts act as speed bump (plus the fluffyness of 80 conscripts in a Russian army was irresistable). HB platoon is horde control, AC platoon is transport/medium infantry killers. These could be replaced with ML's as the point cost is the same but I think the Autocannon is more versatile. The Basy's provide anti-MEQ/Suit power. HQ is in supporting role. Commissars attach to Conscript Platoons. Overall, fluffy and shouldn't do too badly. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Looks fluffy to me and youve kept t simple which is good. you forgot to add ind. commisars to your doctrines list (looks like a typo!)
    There is another problem your carapace vets. it would be a fifth doctrine to give them carapace so fine but the whole army would have to have it aswell. so no can do am afraid.
    Id change your commander to a JO with honorifica seems flufier to me somehow those high ranking russian generals tend to get purged) also his powerfist seem a little out of place with a mastervox. either drop the vox network and go with the standard idea or drop the powerfist and give them a mortar (again seems like a russian weapon to me probs cos its rubbish but you get lots of them!). You also lack heavier firepower and at 2000 points you are probably going to come up against a landraider or something equally as annoying. while the autocannons seem good and bad antitank is a little fluffy you might want to swap a couple of autocannons for missile launchers to add more versatility. you also only have to rely on your vets so perhaps swap out that carapace for some harder hitting weapons perhap if you can find the points a minimum platoon that has meltas and vet sarges with melta bombs. could be a shock to an advancing force. ( the vet sarges combined with the COD would give them decent leadership aswell) itd cost around 220 points ish if you could find that from somewhere. The only reason i suggest it is it seems more fluffy than adding lascannons!

hope this helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I agree with him, except I would add lascannons. I guess they're not fluffy because Russians don't have lascannons at present, but in the year 40,000 they seem to be a pretty basic and standard Imperial weapon. A lot more common than plasmaguns anyways...

I like the idea, I have similar dreams for the IG. But I would cut down the HB's and AC's to half as many, and add in LOTS of lascannons, plus some missile launchers. Remember, the conscripts are going to be doing a lot of anti-infantry work, so you should use your Guardsmen for anti-tank. Oh, and mortars are pretty fluffy substitutes for heavy bolters, too. It might be fun to put some in your HQ squads, or even have a couple 6-man squads of mortar support. In this case, I would drop even more of the HB's and AC's.

I would also drop the powerfists off the commissars and officers. They will only tempt you to put your leaders into base contact with the biggest, meanest enemy in combat, when in fact you want the commissar safe, in the REAR of the conscripts, just generating Ld. If he dies doing something heroic, then that entire unit is going to break and get run down. Oh, and downgrade the regimental standard to a... company standard? I think that's it. It's really all you need. Especially with a HSO (or JO w/ HI, whatever you want), your set on the Ld side of things... just don't let your commissars die.

On a side note, I would recommend using catachans for your conscripts, rather than cadians - it's what I use anyways. If you paint their clothes tan and brown rather than camo green, they look really ragged. Plus, you don't want your conscripts wearing better helmets/armor than your valhallan troopers!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you, great advice, whether I adopt it or not. I think I'll add some mortars for fluff reasons. I'll drop the fists on everyone, I didn't know they weren't hidden. I also think I'll use stormtroopers instead of vets. It's not THAT unfluffy, and I'd lose a special weapon, but I think carapace is essential for infiltrating troops like that, so compromise is necessary. Same price. Also I think I'll make one group flamers, two groups melta. All with sarges w/ fists. The idea of flamers clearing out bunkers is just awesome. Plus, the meltas will be better at anti-tank anyway. I know I may be sacrificing effectivesness here but I'm leaning more towards fluff for this army anyway. Any more thoughts, especially on the changes?

P.S. You've both been rep'd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Have you seen 'Enemy at the Gate'?

Its about Russian snipers, and they kicked some serious butt.
    You could consider including some snipers for fluffiness if you reshuffled a few things.

Also, I love the conscript horde. If you want to be really fluffy, only give half of the conscripts guns and give the other half a clip of bullets. Send them marching towards the enemy and give them their orders...
    "The man with the gun shoots! The man without the gun follows the man with the gun! When the man with the gun dies, the man without the gun picks up the gun! The man with the gun shoots! The man without the gun..."
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen that movie, and it's awesome. However, I do want this army to retain at least a semblance of effectiveness, so that's a no go on half the lasguns on the conscripts. I'll think about modelling up some snipers though.

+ Reply to Thread