[1000] First Attempt - Drop Troops - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

[1000] First Attempt - Drop Troops

I was just about to click the checkout button, but I thought I would run this by the pro's first. This is my first attempt at an IG army. And this is my best interpretation of what is, or is not effective for the Drop Troops organization. Plus a little bit of personal flair. Maaaybe, even something fluffy.

I don't need to win every game. Necrons did that just fine, it seemed like. I want to have fun, do or die, crazy missions... but still with some competitive edge. I expect that by September I will expand this list to 1850 for a Rouge Trader, if I like it.

The breakdown is:
    3 Junior Officers
    2 Medics
    9 Sgt
    8 Flamers
    9 Grenade Launchers
    6 Plasmaguns
    6 Meltas
    2 Demo Charges
    52 Lasrifles

So here goes... my terribly formatted, first go at the IG. Total cost is 999. Total model count is 97.

Doctrines

Drop Troops
    Special Weapons Squads
    Veterans
    Close Order Drill
    Sharpshooters

Headquarters

Command Squad – 68 pts
    -Junior Officer
    --CCW and Laspistol
    -4 Guardsmen
    --Flamer (x2)
    --Grenade Launcher (x2)

Special Weapon Squad – 63 pts
    -6 Guardsmen
    --Flamer (x2)
    --Demo Charge

Special Weapon Squad – 63 pts
    -6 Guardsmen
    --Flamer (x2)
    --Demo Charge

Elite

Hardened Veterans Company – 89 pts
    -6 Veterans
    --Grenade Launcher
    --Melta Gun (x2)
    -Veteran Sgt

Hardened Veterans Company – 89 pts
    -6 Veterans
    --Grenade Launcher
    --Melta Gun (x2)
    -Veteran Sgt

Hardened Veterans Company – 81 pts
    -5 Veterans
    --Grenade Launcher
    --Melta Gun (x2)
    -Veteran Sgt

Troops

Command Squad – 81 pts
    -Junior Officer
    --CCW and Laspistol
    -3 Guardsmen
    --Plasmagun (x3)
    -Medic

Infantry Squad (Sharpshooters) – 78 pts
    -9 Guardsmen
    --Grenade Launcher
    -1 Sgt

-9 Guardsmen
    --Grenade Launcher
    -1 Sgt

Remnant Squad – 36 pts
    -4 Guardsmen
    --Flamer
    -1 Sgt

Command Squad – 81 pts
    -Junior Officer
    --CCW and Laspistol
    -3 Guardsmen
    --Plasmagun (x3)
    -Medic

-9 Guardsmen
    --Grenade Launcher
    -1 Sgt

-9 Guardsmen
    --Grenade Launcher
    -1 Sgt

Remnant Squad – 36 pts
    -4 Guardsmen
    --Flamer
    -1 Sgt

Last edited by double.bind; February 25th, 2007 at 04:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

first off, lose the sharpshooters. it's just not worth the points. replace it either with heavy weapons platoons or warrior weapons (but only give the warrior weapons to dropped sentinels)

second, if those five man vet squads lose three men, they cannot hold table objectives. consider bumping up those guys to eight.

third, where are your heavy weapons? what if you come up against vehicles? how are you gonna take those out?

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    first off, lose the sharpshooters. it's just not worth the points. replace it either with heavy weapons platoons or warrior weapons (but only give the warrior weapons to dropped sentinels)

second, if those five man vet squads lose three men, they cannot hold table objectives. consider bumping up those guys to eight.

third, where are your heavy weapons? what if you come up against vehicles? how are you gonna take those out?
    First, thanks for the fluff comment, I'm gonna change it up here soon, because I'm thinking the "suicidal devotion" card is tired.

Okay, about sharpshooters, I figured it was decent cause in 10+ groups its essentaly BS4 for 1 point a model. I thought that would be good cause of the 'hail of lasfire' approach.

I can't take warrior weps with drop troops. And heavy weapons cant be fired after a drop, which is why i dont have either of those.

Def. will make vet squads bigger.

And for vehicles, I have meltas, demo charges in a pinch, plasma, and krak nades in a pinch. I thought I might be overcompensating for vehicles?
    Last edited by double.bind; February 26th, 2007 at 04:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

lose the krak grenades. they are never worth the points. all of those weapons you listed were short-range weapons so you have to get pretty close to destroy any vehicles. chances are you're gonna get killed before the vehicle does.

again, lose the sharpshooters. they are not the same as having BS 4. you re-roll the first set of 1's and the chances of you getting that many ones just aren't likely. they are not worth the points. if you want the hail of lasguns then add in more squads.

i'd also ditch the flamers. IMO they're just not worth the points on a drop-troops list. also would recommend combining the two remnant squads into one full squad so that you can claim objectives. the only way you can win with drop troops is to claim objectives

do you have vet sarges in every squad? if not i'd recommend it since you're not benefitting much from your HQ's leadership. a regular infantry squad with a vet and close order drill will have a leadership of 9. it's definitely worth the points. you can't afford to have your guys running away when using a drop troops list.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

+ Reply to Thread