Competitive 1,500 Purist SoB - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Competitive 1,500 Purist SoB

This will be a list of what I need to get to complete a 1,500pt army. I tend to make my army list in a balanced way so I don't get into the rock-paper-scissors situation, so I make my army list in 3 categories - Long/Mid/Short. Comments please

Long Range

1 Exorcist (Heavy Support)
    Exorcist Missile Launcher
    Extra Armour

Extra Armour

Anti-Dreads/transport and Termi. vehicles.

5 Retributor Squad (Heavy Support)
    Bolter (x2); Heavy Bolter (x3)

1 Veteran Sister Superior
    CC Weapon (x1); Bolter

Six-men Hvy Bolter team with only 3 Hvy Bolters and leaves 3 cannon fodders. The first casualty will always be the Vet., since there is no point in boosting 9-shots AP4 weapons.. besides, extra Faith Point is always good!

Mid Range

9 Battle Sisters Squad (Troops)
    Bolter (x7); Storm Bolter (x2)

CC Weapon (x1); Storm Bolter

They will stay at the 24" mark and help the retributors take down a few more targets. 13 Shots per squad is a good choice of Divine Guidance depending on how many shots hit.

I would normally include two 5-man IST squads with 1 Plasma each for more mid-range support, but the point is very limited and I cant find a place to fit them

Short Range

7 Celestian Squad (Elites)
    Bolter (x5); Heavy Flamer (x1); Meltagun (x1)

Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour

Got to love their Holy Hatred. My idea is keep them at 6"-8" for double-tapping and Flaming Divine Guidance, and to force my opponent into charging them.

Melee/Tank Hunt Support

1 Canoness (HQ)
    Inferno Pistol (x1); Blessed Weapon
    Jump Pack
    Cloak of Saint Aspira
    Book of Saint Lucius

7 Seraphim Squad (Fast Attack)
    2 Bolt Pistols (x5); 2 Hand Flamers (x1); 2 Inferno Pistols (x1); Frag
    Grenades; Krak Grenades

Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

Not much to say about these annoying pests :tongue:

Starting Faith: 8
    Models in Army: 55
    Total Army Cost: 1499

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I like the entire almost as is... the only thing I don't like is:

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour
    If that storm bolter has been bought to add to the one already on the Rhino then its over kill, you want a cheap transport capable of getting your girls to the front lines. Otherwise I think you would be firing the smoke launchers every turn thus making the second S-Bolter useless.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Excellent list, all my comments are minor

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post

CC Weapon (x1); Bolter

Six-men Hvy Bolter team with only 3 Hvy Bolters and leaves 3 cannon fodders. The first casualty will always be the Vet., since there is no point in boosting 9-shots AP4 weapons.. besides, extra Faith Point is always good!
    Seems like you've got this one figured out but I'd ecourage you to always take 4 heavy bolters - starting your rets off at less than full strength is like doing the enemy's job for them - your three last exactly as long as they would if you had four heavy bolters, and you already sacrifice the fourth so you don't gain any initial firepower from the first turn shooting before she dies. I completely understand the need for cannon fodder, but with 4 heavy bolters you have exactly the same number of wounds keeping the first 3 heavies alive, and then if you don't get shot at you have the extra heavy bolter and an extra three shots.

Failing that I'd encourage you to bump these up to 8 women, but that's up to you in the end.

Also I'd encourage you to leave the vet in as she increases the leadership of your squad.

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour

Got to love their Holy Hatred. My idea is keep them at 6"-8" for double-tapping and Flaming Divine Guidance, and to force my opponent into charging them.
    Here I think you overestimate the CC strength of Celestians. They're better than other SoBs, but that doesn't make them good. Against any sort of credible CC force they'll still get ripped to shreds, but I guess that's what the rhinos are for. I guess what I'm saying is you should be conservative with these, but not defensive. If you just leave them around to be charged they're probably going to be killed a lot faster than if they charge - the extra attack from charging helps you and hurts the enemy, because if they get the extra attack t helps them a lot more than it helps you. This may be what you were doing anyway :blush: , but I would either keep them completely out of CC range, or have them do the charging.

I think they're outfitted perfectly except for the rhino - I don't think extra armour is worth it. 5 points to save a round of shooting with a single storm bolter that you may not actually miss, and if you do end up missing it you may not have been able to shoot anyone anyway. Storm bolters aren't really that great, and I think with an army like the Witch Hunters where every point counts you can spend 10 points somewhere else. Or am I missing something with extra armour on rhinos? everyone seems to take it....

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    If that storm bolter has been bought to add to the one already on the Rhino then its over kill, you want a cheap transport capable of getting your girls to the front lines. Otherwise I think you would be firing the smoke launchers every turn thus making the second S-Bolter useless.
    I'm pretty sure this is the pre-existing one, seeing as he listed the Exorcist Missile Launchers on the Exorcists. If you are buying an extra one, I'm with Sir 'Skulls here: don't.

Great list though, I'm sure it will do fine withou any changes , my comments are really just different approaches to spcific models/units.
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

First of all, thanks for the replies

The Rhinos do come pre-equipped with a Storm Bolter, it's just my silly Army Builder lists everything out .. to the last piece of equipment.

I would love to get 8-men Retributor squad of 4 Hvy Bolter, it is pretty much a standard size of any marine devastator squad nowsday, but I am really lacking the points so I thought -- either I go for 6-men with 4 HvyBolter, or just go for 6-men with 3 HvyBolter and save myself a few points so I could invest it somewhere else, and still have enough cannon fodders on the field.

This is one of the quiz question they (Games Workshop) will give you upon a job interview.. What is the point cost of a Rhino? If you say 50, you are wrong. It's actually 58 -- Extra Armour and Smoke Launcher are mendatory :tongue: (it's a silly question, I know). What kind of a 'transport vehicle' do you wish to get crew stunned and not being able to move around WITH cargos inside of it? Even the pre-equipped Storm Bolter is part of a "protection" granted by the Rhino. Think about it, what would happen when a Rhino gets Armament Destroy damage result and happens to have no weapon at all? The result gets upgraded to an Immoblise result which is something you would not want your Transport Vehicle to be rendered 'useless'. The purpose of having a Rhino is really just that first turn 12" boost, disembark, and pop smoke, then move the Rhino another 12" forward if it's not destroyed, park it side way to obstruct any anti-infantry fire power from reaching the cargo for 2 turns while it advances.

Correct me if I am wrong, a sister army strengh lies on bolter/flamer rapid fire plus Divine Guidance. Anything that goes into HtH will usually dictate the death of those sisters in combat. I would love to avoid combat, but it would almost be impossible, so the two Celesitan squads are there to take the charge after they let go of their 11 bolter shots + flamer + melta. They are, after all, the better fighter of the entire Sister of Battle army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

I'd go with the 4 Heavy bolters, personally. The Celetians pretty much suck in CC, so don't ever try and use them that way. If you really want a sister CC unit, Repentia can sometimes work wonders. Give them a priest and point them at the highest point models on the table. I once cut through well over half a 1500 Black Templar army with them. He started out scoffing at them saying something along the lines that "my army is built for close combat, those women can't do anything," and it ended with him furiously trying everything he could to kill my one unit leaving everything else I had left unharmed to mop up the rest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

This is one of the quiz question they (Games Workshop) will give you upon a job interview.. What is the point cost of a Rhino? If you say 50, you are wrong. It's actually 58 -- Extra Armour and Smoke Launcher are mendatory
    Where the heck did you get this?
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    Where the heck did you get this?
    From my local GW store. I go there frequently and I chat with the employees alot. One of the quiz question they gave me was this.. rediculous, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, its a fairly solid force setup. There are a few things that I would do differently but that is mostly a matter of opinion. There is nothing crippling in your list.

Long Range

Extra Armour

Extra Armour

Anti-Dreads/transport and Termi. vehicles.
    Solid choice, always take two exo's. They work better in pairs.

CC Weapon (x1); Bolter

I like my Rets. They are the only other long range unit in a pure sister unit. Something to point out... you take bigger squads not only for fodder but for getting those DG rolls off. When you shoot an MEQ 3+ save unit and hit with 8 or 9 HB shots, its worth it to try for the DG roll.

The problem is the 1500 point range. You are losing 1/4 th of your firepower by not taking the 4th HB. The squad is a little bit in the inbetween area. Its not as effective as a 10 strong squad that can roll dg and fire off 12 36" shots. So might want to think about what units will get the most use and change things accordingly.

Mid Range

They will stay at the 24" mark and help the retributors take down a few more targets. 13 Shots per squad is a good choice of Divine Guidance depending on how many shots hit.

I would normally include two 5-man IST squads with 1 Plasma each for more mid-range support, but the point is very limited and I cant find a place to fit them
    A good point about the 1500 point limit. The problem is in theory it sounds great. In practice your 10 sister foot squads have mobility, casualty and range issues. You don't have enough sisters to soak up foot wounds and they may not be all that effective at the 24" mark. Sisters biggest strength is getting into 12" range and rapid firing and flaming using DG. Sitting back and firing 10 bolter shots at 24" range isn't going to get you a great deal.

Generally, you either put them in a rhino or increase their size so you can move them into rapid fire range.
    Short Range

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour

1 Rhino APC
    Storm Bolter
    Smoke Launchers
    Extra Armour

I am a HUGE fan of Cel squads. I absolutely love them. For two points you get better WS and Init and holy hatred. The problem is the squad size. Seven is really at the point where DG gets very iffy. DG works because you are employing 18 bolter shots, a flame template (or two) and/or a MG. Your 7 girl squads (provided they get the roll off) will be 30% less effective.

If it was me, (much as I hate not taking Cels), I would dump one of the cel units, bump up the other to size 10 and also bump up your ret squad. If possible, I would take the rhino from the deleted squad and give it to one of the SoB troop squads. In fact if I had the points, I would give both the sob squads rhinos as that will increase their effectiveness a lot.

Melee/Tank Hunt Support

1 Canoness (HQ)
    Inferno Pistol (x1); Blessed Weapon
    Jump Pack
    Cloak of Saint Aspira
    Book of Saint Lucius
    Solid and standard jump canoness.
    7 Seraphim Squad (Fast Attack)
    2 Bolt Pistols (x5); 2 Hand Flamers (x1); 2 Inferno Pistols (x1); Frag
    Grenades; Krak Grenades

Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
    Its a pretty solid unit. I run 1 IP and 1 HF in my units for utility. It works just fine. I dropped the evis and started to use the brazier/power weapon combo to get more power attacks and another flame template. Thats all a matter of preference as your squad is solid.

The only other comment I would make is I would take more books. Being able to always take leadership tests at 9 or 10 is invaluable. Your foot sister units are going to be shot up and your Cel units will get charged. Your canoness just cant cover them all. Having the choice to take an unmodified leadership test is a huge advantage.

BTW love the comment about rhinos. Its spot on.

+ Reply to Thread