[2000] DP List w/Traits - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

[2000] DP List w/Traits

In my continuing effort to refine my DP list I came up with this:

Traits:
    Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients , Cleanse and Purify
    Eye to Eye , Have Pride in Your Colors

HQ (439)
    Librarian (Epistolary)
    *Fury of the Ancients
    *Might of Heroes
    Bolt Pistol + MC Force Weapon
    Term. Armour
    Adamantine Mantle

4 man Term Command Squad
    2x Assault Cannon
    Drop Pod w/ Librarian

Elites (480)
    3x Ven Dreadnoughts (160/model)
    Extra Armour
    Drop Pods

Troops (916)
    4x 9 man Tact Squads (229/squad)
    2x melta guns/squad
    Frag Grenades
    Vet. Sgt w/PF
    Drop Pods

Heavy Support (160)
    Ven Dreadnought
    Extra Armour
    Drop Pods

Several of the units I've not used much so if there's a mistake you see, be sure to point it out.

I've even tinkered around with taking the list down to 1750 and 1500 points by dropping units and dreadnoughts. Works out pretty well.

Cheers!

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Librarian (Epistolary)
    *Fury of the Ancients
    *Might of Heroes
    Term. Armour
    Adamantine Mantle
    Holy crap that's expensive. Even for a 2k list. You have a supper CC tooled HQ that has to stay with a unit that you really don't want to get into CC, cause if you're assaulting with them, you're not shooting the Assault Cannon. Plus, I personally find that a regular command squad does better in a DP list then a single squad of termies. Especially since you could use the extra bodies, as you have a lot of Dreads. But either way, dump the Mantle and the MC. WAY too much expensive wargear. Also, I would take Fear of the Darkness instead of Might of Hero's.

4 man Term Command Squad
    2x Assault Cannon
    Drop Pod w/ Librarian
    See above

3x Ven Dreadnoughts (160/model)
    Extra Armour
    Drop Pods
    These guys should all have Heavy Flamers

2x melta guns/squad
    Frag Grenades
    Vet. Sgt w/PF
    Drop Pods
    Just a few tweaks to these guys. First, you don't need the Frag's. You should NEVER need them. A DP list is for short range shooting, where you can take maximum advantage of the power of the bolter. In fact, the PF is only there to deter units from assaulting you. And dropping them will give you points to ass the Heavy Flamer to your Dreads. Also, normally I would recommend about half of these units to be using plasma guns instead of meltaguns, but I think in this list you need all the meltaguns, as you could find yourself short of anti-tank weapons. And last, is that 9 guys plus a sergeant? Or 9 guys with the sergeant? You almost always want even numbered units. Much more efficient for scoring purposes.

Ven Dreadnought
    Extra Armour
    Drop Pods
    Again, I would give him a Heavy Flamer.

I honestly don’t know how effective a Heed list is. I have always wanted to do one. My guess is that it's more fun to play then truly effective, but hopefully my advice helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Wow! Thanks for the lengthy reply. Explanation of some of my decisions below.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin View Post
    Holy crap that's expensive. Even for a 2k list. You have a supper CC tooled HQ that has to stay with a unit that you really don't want to get into CC, cause if you're assaulting with them, you're not shooting the Assault Cannon. Plus, I personally find that a regular command squad does better in a DP list then a single squad of termies. Especially since you could use the extra bodies, as you have a lot of Dreads. But either way, dump the Mantle and the MC. WAY too much expensive wargear. Also, I would take Fear of the Darkness instead of Might of Hero's.
    A few comments. A lot of what I added on to the Librarian was left over points. In the end I got to thinking that it would be useful to have him in case I need to hit something like a Daemon Prince. I've always had more luck with Might of Heros over Fury of the Ancients anyways. As for MCing the Force Weapon, at the time I couldn't really come up with a better use for those 15 pts.

These guys should all have Heavy Flamers
    Had not considered this. Will now!

Just a few tweaks to these guys. First, you don't need the Frag's. You should NEVER need them. A DP list is for short range shooting, where you can take maximum advantage of the power of the bolter. In fact, the PF is only there to deter units from assaulting you. And dropping them will give you points to ass the Heavy Flamer to your Dreads. Also, normally I would recommend about half of these units to be using plasma guns instead of meltaguns, but I think in this list you need all the meltaguns, as you could find yourself short of anti-tank weapons. And last, is that 9 guys plus a sergeant? Or 9 guys with the sergeant? You almost always want even numbered units. Much more efficient for scoring purposes.
    These Tact squads are the same ones I use in another list. I kind of like the 9 man. I know it's not the most efficient use of pts, but it seems to work. In one iteration of this list I did have 10 man squads. Frag grenades were added by default. I will take into consideration what you have said. As for plasma guns, I've had nothing but bad luck with them. Plasma pistols I can handle, the plasma guns tendency to over heat has gotten to be a real bother. I think I'll sacrifice a few high power shots for some safety. Plus, that would require to me to model some new marines

I honestly don’t know how effective a Heed list is. I have always wanted to do one. My guess is that it's more fun to play then truly effective, but hopefully my advice helps.
    I've never run this many dreadnoughts before either. I hope to proxy this list with a friend soon. If it works, I'll let you know!

Thanks for the comments.

EDIT: Oh yeah, FotD doesn't seem to do anything for me. I go against MEQ's a lot and my primary opponent is Necron.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

HQ (439)
    Librarian (Epistolary)
    *Fury of the Ancients
    *Might of Heroes
    Term. Armour
    Adamantine Mantle
    You cannot have a bolt pistol on a model with terminator armor. Nor may you have a close combat weapon. This is why models in terminator armor don't do well in assault.

You have picked a fairly poor set of powers.

Oh yeah, FotD doesn't seem to do anything for me. I go against MEQ's a lot and my primary opponent is Necron.
    Necrons you say? Have you tried vortex of doom?! It horribly revenges necron players, but sucks against everything else. Consider that a necron army is I2 in 95% of its squads. Thus they are destoryed on a 3+. Remember this power is the worst power against all other players!

Anyway, why do you need an Epistolary librarian? Consider taking a codicier with only fury of the ancients and terminator armor. Way less points for almost the same game effect. Remember this is a shooty unit. If you want Close combat, dont use terminators. But really you should leave close combat to the tactical squads.

Troops (916)
    2x melta guns/squad
    Frag Grenades
    Vet. Sgt w/PF
    Drop Pods
    Make these 8 man squads, remove frags. Make at least 1 squad have dual plasma guns, instead of meltas.

And mass heavy flamers would be pretty fun dreadnoughts. I dont see venerable really being required for most of them.

Good Luck.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Necrons you say? Have you tried vortex of doom?! It horribly revenges necron players, but sucks against everything else. Consider that a necron army is I2 in 95% of its squads. Thus they are destoryed on a 3+. Remember this power is the worst power against all other players!
    Don't forget Tau and guard as well, its pretty decent against them lot as well 4+ against guard ain't too shabby in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

It would be, except that fear of the darkness destroys them so completely, that it makes vortex of doom look like a kittens toy.

Cheers,
    Forged.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

It would be, except that fear of the darkness destroys them so completely, that it makes vortex of doom look like a kittens toy.

Cheers,
    Forged.
    hehehe a little off topic, but I remember the last time FOTD was used on my guard, this guys libbie infiltrated with his squad and moved to about 10" from 6 of my units, everyone of them passed there LD tests, and since he was the only thing in range, an entire army of 120 guradsmen pointed there rifles at him...........after about 150+ lasrifle shots in one turn, all that was left was a single finger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

hehehe a little off topic, but I remember the last time FOTD was used on my guard, this guys libbie infiltrated with his squad and moved to about 10" from 6 of my units, everyone of them passed there LD tests, and since he was the only thing in range, an entire army of 120 guradsmen pointed there rifles at him...........after about 150+ lasrifle shots in one turn, all that was left was a single finger
    Nice - i bet he failed to kill your HQ. Thats why drop podding terminators are essential to the success of FOTD. Since very few 6 man squads can withstand 2 Assault cannons, and 2 storm bolters. And a LST as back up never hurts either - just in case.

After that, IG LD cant be rerolled, and LD 5 or 6 almost always fails. Unless of course you run Commissars - but every few IG players actually do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Ok, I dropped the terminators, the frag grenades and one Ven dreadnought. I fleshed out the tact squads to 10 men squads. That leaves me with:

Elites:
    3 Ven dreadnoughts w/Heavy Flamers, extra armour and DPs

Troops
    4x 10 man tact squads with 2 meltaguns, vet sgt+PF in a DP.
    I am tempermentally opposed to plasma guns. I've had horrible,horrible luck with the Get's Hot! rule.

This leaves me with about 500 pts.

I was thinking about taking a librarian with a command squad.
    The command squad would have a standard bearer and an apothecary and two melta guns. Vet sgt with PF.

Any thoughts?
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Nice - i bet he failed to kill your HQ. Thats why drop podding terminators are essential to the success of FOTD. Since very few 6 man squads can withstand 2 Assault cannons, and 2 storm bolters. And a LST as back up never hurts either - just in case.

After that, IG LD cant be rerolled, and LD 5 or 6 almost always fails. Unless of course you run Commissars - but every few IG players actually do.
    Not to get too far off-topic, but why would you use a LST as backup? I thought you've said in the past that you should put it all or nothing into drop pods? Wouldn't that LST be pretty lonely the first turn or two until everything arrives?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast