1500pt IG Blitzkrieg for a tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt IG Blitzkrieg for a tourney

Hello all you vets out there, I'm looking at entering the Grand Tournament this year (for the first time :w00twith my IG army and was thinking of making it an extremely tank heavy army.Tell me what you think of this list. Any cricticism on this list is fine, as long as you have a suggestion on how to improve the problem.

Doctrines: Close Order drill, Storm Troopers, Grenaiders, Iron discipline, Drop troops (and i stress, not for tatical use but because its free and fills up the last slot for doctrines)

HQ

HSO: Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, iron discipline
    Retinue: medic, standard bearer
    112pts

Elites
    5 Veterans: 3 Plasma guns
    Chimera: Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, smoke launchers
    180 pts

Elites
    1 Vet srgt: Plasma Pistol
    4 Stormtroopers: 2 Meltaguns, Deep Strike
    81pts

Troops
    JO : Bolt Pistol
    Retinue: 4 grenade launchers

Vet: Stormbolter
    Squad: Grenade Launcher

Vet: Bolt Pistol
    Squad: Flamer
    215pts

Troops
    8 Grenaiders: 2 Plasma guns
    Chimera: Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, smoke launchers
    205pts

Fast Attack
    Hellhound: Extra Armour, smoke launchers
    123 pts

Fast Attack
    Sentinel: Multilaser, Armoured crew, spotlight
    61pts

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battletank: 3 Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, smoke launchers
    170pts

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battletank: 3 Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, smoke launchers
    170pts

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Demolisher: 3 Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour, smoke launchers
    173pts

Total: 1500 pts.

Now a couple of personal queries i have with this list are:

1. i only have 2 troop choices, i was wondering if i should take the chimera off the veteran sqaud and give it to an armoured fist squad. If so, where should i cut points (perhaps the sentinel and some other stuff?) to fit the squad in, and what configuration would be best for that armoured fist if i was to get it at all?

2. The Tanks all lack rough terrain mods, and the hellhound and Demolisher lack heavy stubbers... Should i care about this? Am i putting the right equipment on the right tanks, or what else should i equip them with?

3. Considering my lack of men, should i bother with a HSO with a standard bearer at all? With Close order drill and veterans, the guard have ld 9 anyhow, and if i don't, how should my HQ be equiped?

4. Do i have enough anti-tank? It would be ironic for a tank army to be unable to deal with tanks.

5. Finally i am trying to make a Blitzkreig here, does anyone see a way to fit another tank into this army? (a real tank, not a sentinel, they don't count)

Thanks for your time, feel free to give advice beyond those Questions as well, any help is appreciated, but i would really appreciate answers to those queries.

P.S. would this army suffer from poor army composition grades, i just thought of this, would people mark me down for being so tank?

Shepards of the Night - "Fear the Coming of Night"

Eldar vs. Daemonhunters so far: W-1 D-4 L-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Damondred View Post
    Hello all you vets out there, I'm looking at entering the Grand Tournament this year (for the first time :w00twith my IG army and was thinking of making it an extremely tank heavy army.Tell me what you think of this list. Any cricticism on this list is fine, as long as you have a suggestion on how to improve the problem.
    Without doing a line by line critique:

If you want an extremely tank heavy army then you need to do an Armoured Company List, unless of course your Grand Tournament doesn't allow them.

With the standard IG list you only have 3 Heavy Slots - so "Tank Heavy" will be three regardless, imo the IG list is really representative of an Infantry Company with Armoured Support.

You can get more AFV's in there for sure with Chimeras and HellHounds though.

Some general thoughts, again, imo only mind:

You're way too light on infantry, too many small units.

Ditto for the Sentinel - 1 is just a target.

Bolters & Stubbers are fine for the LRs - in which case you need some lascannons in your infantry for anti-armour leaving your tanks free to chew infantry. I'd be inclined to drop the demolisher and have 3 x LR, with HB, HSt, Extra armour (& Smoke maybe)

Have two Infantry platoons with no added extras but M/L in the Pln HQ and L/C in the squads.

Make your HQ cheap and give them a mortar and voxes all round.

Just some random thoughts anyway

Additional

OK here's a "very" quick & dirty list:

HQ

HSO, Mortar, M/Vox
    105pts
    Chimera, M/Laser, HB, HStubber, Xtra Arm, Smk
    105pts

Troops

1st Pln
    JO, Vox, M/L
    60pts

A Squad
    PG, L/C, Vox
    100pts

B Squad
    PG, L/C, Vox
    100pts

2nd Pln
    JO, Vox, M/L
    60pts

A Squad
    PG, L/C, Vox
    100pts

B Squad
    PG, L/C, Vox
    100pts

Fast Attack

1 x Hellhound, Xtra Armour
    120pts

1 x Hellhound, Xtra Armour
    120pts

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ, 3 x HB, HStubber, Xtra Armour, Smk
    175pts

175pts

175pts

Total

1,495pts

So that's a "typical" Infantry Company with a track mounted HQ, 2 x plns each supported by a Hellhound and an attached tank troop of 3 x Leman Russ.

I don't know that it will do any better than you're original list! But I "think" it looks a bit more consistent fluff-wise in terms of satisfying composition guidelines, but I wouldn't know for sure as I don't do tourney games.
    Last edited by vorlon; March 26th, 2007 at 23:46.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

If you wanna do a real Blitzkrieg, gotta go full Mechanized with 3 Russes but that's hella unbalanced. First of all, I'd say drop all Pwr weapons and Plasma Pistols, they jsut never make up the points of being equipped to a Guardsmen. For the HQ, use a Junior Officer with Honorifica, saves you 5 pts. No medic and a Mortar keeps them safe and anchors your line, especially with a Banner. I'd drop the 1 Sentinel, they die to everything and anything. Hell Hounds are amazing but all tanks need Extra Armor and prolly Rough Terrain, it's few points to make sure good things keep happening. Your actual troop squads need Heavy Weapons to provide support, Missile Launchers are good against a variety of foes. The Trooper squads need to be maximum man for a gun buffer and they can Rapid Fire rather nastily. Melta kills tanks and Plasma kills....everything else so stick with that. Chimeras are well and good but don't like being shot at, so don't rely on them to do much. Maybe make the stay back Platoon max squads while the remaining points go to ST that run up, pop tanks and shoot Termies and other nasties. 3 Russes account for alot of swarm/squad kill and Hell Hounds mop up stragglers. If the Officer squads stay back with Mortars, you can crush most any army. Just my complicated thoughts.

Btw Armored Company is not allowed in any GW big tournies, same for Kroot Mercs. I guess they found the lists to unbalanced.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

I did something like this for a friendly match against a Chaos force, and it worked a treat.
    I don't remember exact points values, so it will require some maths with your Codex. the roles identified below may be more use than exact configurations.
    The advice below is all good, but if you want to blitzkrieg it though you want pretty much everyone in a Chimera, or deep striking, and your HW's on Sentinels. Find Diggums Hammer's mech grenadier lists and you won't go wrong, they are *very* good. The list below has 1 on foot unit.

HQ :
    JO with HI, Vox caster.
    2 x plasma guns.

The role here was semi-mobile fire support, using the plasmas to soften up targets. With only two non disposable infantry squads to worry about, a master vox isn't esp needed, and the leadership bubble isn't as vital.

I took two Autocannon sentinels, to pop transports, using the range to keep them relatively safe. But someone floated an idea that i really like of deep striking multi las sentinels to pop the rear of enemy tanks, then provide a round of distraction while they get shot at - remember, most people have smaller armies than you, so have to choose what they shoot at. Presenting multiple targets is actually good. Yes, they die afterwards, but I can see it working very well, and players with more xp than me like it.

Troops :
    Vet sarge, power sword, bp (just in case - feel free to drop this as it isn't well optimised for the points, but given their role it is likely they'll end up in CC).
    9 Grenadiers, with 2 meltas, vox caster
    Chimera, with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter, extra armour, smoke.

Vet sarge, power sword, bp .
    9 Grenadiers, with 2 meltas
    Chimera, with Autocannon and Heavy flamer, extra armour, smoke.

The grenadiers are to deal with anything getting too close to the tanks. The autocannons on the Chimera's are to deal with transports and dreads. Keep Chimera's cheap, they can die quick.
    Grenadiers are much better than AF squads for short range and hopefully quick firefights. By eliminating regular guard squads, you don't need Close order drill so pick something else.

Heavy :
    I took 2 demolishers and a thunderer to squeeze the points in, but three standard LR's are more versatile. Personally I think the extra pts on the stubber are better spent on other vehicles (see below). Smoke is nice, extra armour a must.
    With regular LR's though you will be tempted to fight at range, it depends how you want to fight. If you want to get close, this army works well and different arms complement each other : deep striking troops hit at the same time as your moving wall of AV14 Demolishers / AV12 threatens to overrun, the Gren's prevent infantry and Dreads getting too close, and sniping Sentinels pick off transports attempting to move reinforcements.

Fast attack :
    2 squads of 5 Stormtroopers with meltas and Deepstrike, for a very effective 80pt tankbuster. These have been my star units, killing off Devilfish, Battlewagons, Hammerheads, and on one memorable occasion, finishing off a broodlord. I use Stormies more for fluff, vets would do just as well.

I reckon the above comes to roughly 1380 or so points. If you can tweak it, add in a Hellhound with stubber and extra armour for anti infantry goodness, or another Sentinel pair with L/Cs or Autocannons to beef up your anti tank (or more D/S with multi las ! :yes: ) and leave the tanks to level infantry.

A heavy stubber is more useful on a Hellhound / Chimera, as you can fire it as well as everything else : fire the Battle Cannon on a russ and you can't fire the stubber.
    Rough terrain on the chimera's makes sense : sometime you need to cut through cover to deliver your men. Makes less sense on the LR's, where the AV not cover is your protection.

This gives you something like
    3 MBT's
    2 APC's
    2 walkers
    35 infantry.

Can't help you with army composition scores though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

First off, Chimeras cannot have AutoCannons, dunno what gave you that idea. What is a Thunderer? I don't know if you mean an Earthshaker or a Demolisher, they both sound equally likely. I'm a fan of Rough Terrain on most all vehicles, although Russes have a good front armor their side ain't so hot. Rough terrain lets you deploy behind a wodds etc. and your opponent prolly cannot target it 1st turn, playing as though you'll get 2nd turn is always wise. Than you pop into the woods, fire off a shell and enjoy your nice hull down. The rest of that list is okay but the HQ has 100% no purpose, it should get a Chimera and load up on Flamers or Plasma to basically suicide into an annoyingly big/tough squad and hell it's another Chimera. Voxes aren't needed, the only Guard that plays with them is where half the army is back and half the army moves, DS, Infiltrates w/e.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess
    First off, Chimeras cannot have AutoCannons, dunno what gave you that idea.
    It would be Forge World and Imperial Armour I that gave it to him. In this book you can find more rules for IG vehicles. The Thunderer is also mentioned in it.
    not sure if it's allowed in your GT though, but it's still a great book to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read IA1, Chimera's can have autocannons, but I'm not sure if GT's allow Forgeworld options.
    Please don't be so snappy and utterly confident in your replies : it doesn't create a good impression.
    Thunderer's are also FW models : I know what I meant.
    Rough terrain is situation specific : it depends if you want to load up the pts cost of your tanks. Yes, it is useful sometimes, sometimes it isn't. So far I've never needed it on LR's, and it was my advice I was giving, based on my xp. Yours may be different, and I'm not disagreeing with you on this.
    The HQ does have a purpose. It stays behind the advancing wall, and takes shots at enemy Deep striking oblits, suits, sentintels, bikes etc that will try to get to the rear armour. Kit it out as you want. It's slightly more mobile than if it had a Heavy Weapon, and isn't a big threat so likely to be low on any target priority lists. As you suggest, another Chimera to join the advance would also be good, it depends how you want to use this squad. I use it as a backmarker to guard the rear of my armour.
    The Grens will almost certainly be in CC - at that point the Voxes are useful for an extra 15 pts on the total army cost, the extra pip on the dice might prevent your 140pt unit(s) running. something I think is more useful than putting RT's on the LR's.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

So so people calm down now.
    No need to take things personal here. It's not like if the IA books are mandatory reading or even "legal" unless your opponent give you permission. So TPoE reply comes with some valid sceptisism.
    Let's keep this nice and civil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

IA is not allowed at GT or most "sanctioned" tournies, you can usually get away with it at your local store though. I'm not snappy, people always think I'm snappy on here. Maybe I should include moods with ym text like........*confident but not assholeish* ><

+ Reply to Thread