[2000] IG w/ allied SOB - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2000] IG w/ allied SOB

Hi!

Im pretty new to war40k and never made a IG army befor. I had originally planned for a pure SOB army but I have noticed how great IG can be and therefor are thinking of making a IG army with allied SOB.

This is my first try:
    Doctrines:
    Iron Discipline
    Heavy weapon platoon

Sharpshooters

HQ
    Living Saint Celestine 201

Command Platoon 588
    Senior officer squad 143
    Mortar, Grenad launcher, Master vox-caster, Commisar, Iron discipline
    Anti-tank support squad 95
    Missile launchers
    Anti-tank support squad 120
    Lascannons, sharpshooters
    Fire-support squad 90
    Heavy bolters, sharpshooters
    Mortar squad 80
    Mortar squad 80

Elites
    Celestians 225
    9 Celestians and 1 Veteran Sister Superior
    Rhino with extra armour and smoke launchers
    Bolters, Heavy flamer, Flamer, Power weapon & bolt pistol (vet. sup.)

Troops
    Infantry platoon 1 397
    Command squad 113
    Missile launcher, Grenade launcher, vox-caster, Commisar, Iron Discipline
    Infantery squad 89
    Vet. Sergeant, Heavy bolter, Grenade launcher, vox-caster
    Infantery squad 106
    Vet. Sergeant, Lascannon, Plasmagun, vox-caster
    Infantery squad 89
    Vet. Segeant, Heavy Bolter, Grenade launcher, vox-caster

Infantry platoon 2 308
    Command squad 113
    Missile launcher, Grenade launcher, vox-caster, Commisar, Iron Discipline
    Infantery squad 89
    Vet. Sergeant, Heavy bolter, Grenade launcher, vox-caster
    Infantery squad 106
    Vet. Sergeant, Lascannon, Plasmagun, vox-caster

Fast Attack
    Seraphim squad 216
    2 twin-linked hand flamers, 6 twin-linked bolt pistols, Book of St. lucius, frag-, krakgrenades, Power weapon & Brazier of holy fire (vet. sup.)

Statistics
    Points (IG/SO: 1981, (1323/66
    Faith: 5 points

The point of the list is:
    Get a lot of shooty power, max the heavies
    Use SOB as backup against enemy's that come close
    Maximize faith
    Infantry

The Living saint is abit expensive but it do give me 3 faith points instead of a much cheaper Cannoness who would bring 2 and besides I have got the model from a freind. The IG command squad is pretty selfspeaking for you I belive, max leadership and ment to stand in the back supported by heavy weapons of all categorys.

The Celestians and Seraphims are ment to do pretty much the same thing: Defend the IG from hth by using bolter doom and finishing of with hth if neccisary (using faith to survive). A plus with the squads is that IG close to them get a beter leadership test. And they are ofcourse there for their awesome fluff! I would like to add an other squad but the points ain't enought.

My plan is to let the Infantry squads stand still and shoot their heavy weapons every turn. I will probaly deploy some of them in the same cover as a heavy squad and by doing that defending the heavies from both shooting (enemy need to take ld-test for shooting) and blocking enemy from charging them (thou not by using the loophole).

This army gives me 5 faith points to spread on 3 units (and the saint wont really need it much I think). As you can see 1/4 of the points are spent on SOB.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Last edited by Mjateznik; April 1st, 2007 at 12:04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

seems pretty cool, very infantry oriented though, dunno if that was your intent but a basilisk or a leman russ goes a long way. especially the bassie seeing as a lot of your arm has mortars. also i'd put sharpshooters one the ML squad as well. and the morale bonus from seraphims only works with other SOB. and your command hq shouldn't need a GL if it has a mortar and master vox, hide it from sight and that GL will go to waste, keep it in open and the mortar and mastervox are exposed.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Firstly itd be helpful to have the list in the thread, perhaps edit it in you only need to copy and paste!

Anyway the overall comment is too tooled il go through the list,
    Doctrines:
    The doctrine is heavy weapons platoons not heavy weapons squads and as you havnt got any heavy weapons platoons the doctrine isnt needed

HQ:
    1. senior officers arent worth it an HSO or a JO with honorifica would be much better.
    2. grenade launcher is redundant (see previous posters comments)
    3. sharpshooters on the lascannons isnt really worth it.
    4. mortars are ok i like them but they arent hugely great so consider swapping them for another infantry squad or two at a later date.
    5. the commisar isnt really needed you have gone for a vox network and he doesnt work down vox. keep him for fluf if you like but in an army like this he isnt really worth it.
    6. Living saint is good and fluffy id keep her.

ELites
    1. seem ok!

Troops:
    1.platoon commands over done
    2. commisars not needed
    3. missile or grenade or even better drop them both and get a mortar (mortars work in large groups!)
    4. drop the vet sarges in squads, there isabsolutely no benefit for the points. you havnt taken close order drill and even if you had it would be redundant due to your HQ's and the sisters taking the heat off of the squads.
    5. squads set up hevay weapons and specials seems ok. however, personally i think a plasma is wasted in a lascannon squad. it puts the squad price well over all of the others and so increases the chance of them being targetted, secondly the lascannon is for anti AV14 so the plasma is useless, the range of a plasma is also less. Overall it isnt a particularly good investment so id drop the plasmas in the lascannon squads.

Fast attack
    1. will work well with the guard gun line.

right overall the sisters seem ok but you have tooled the guard up too much.
    if you take off the sharpshooters from the lascannons, commisars, plasma and grenade launchers wasted etc etc you would get 234 pts. which is loads. with that id upgrade the senior officer, get two mortars for the platoon commands, upgrade the grenade launcher sin the platoons to plasma.
    that would cost
    36 points.
    now that leaves 198 points which you can get another heavy bolter squad thatll be 85 pts which goes in the second platoon
    with the other 113 points get a vet squad with three meltas and the drop troops doctrine which will be another 75 pts. that leaves 35 points upgrade the missile support squad to lascannons and get two plasma guns for the two line lascannons, i know i said dont but you have the spare points!

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the helpful responds,

sorry that this reply became so freaking long...

Ok so this is what I have done after your comments:
    1. Taking away the commissars & vet. sergeants
    2. Added a HB infantry squad
    3. Gave all command squads mortars and no spec. w.
    4. Took away sharpshooter on lascannons

HQ

Living Saint Celestine 201

Command Platoon 580
    Heroic Senior officer squad 110
    Mortar, Master vox-caster, Iron discipline
    Anti-tank support squad 110
    Lascannons
    Anti-tank support squad 110
    Lascannons
    Fire-support squad 90
    Heavy bolters, sharpshooters
    Mortar squad 80
    Mortar squad 80

Elites

Celestians 225
    9 Celestians and 1 Veteran Sister Superior
    Rhino with extra armour and smoke launchers
    Bolters, Heavy flamer, Flamer, Power weapon & bolt pistol (vet. sup.)

Troops
    Infantry platoon I 330
    Command squad 60
    Mortar, vox-caster, Iron Discipline
    Infantry squad 85
    Heavy bolter, Plasmagun, vox-caster
    Infantry squad 100
    Lascannon, Plasmagun, vox-caster
    Infantry squad 85
    Heavy Bolter, Plasmagun, vox-caster

Infantry platoon II 330
    Command squad 60
    Mortar, vox-caster, Iron Discipline
    Infantry squad 85
    Heavy bolter, Plasmagun, vox-caster
    Infantry squad 100
    Lascannon, Plasmagun, vox-caster
    Infantry squad 85
    Heavy Bolter, Plasmagun, vox-caster

Fast Attack
    Seraphim squad 216
    2 twin-linked hand flamers, 6 twin-linked bolt pistols, Book of St. lucius, frag-, krakgrenades, Power weapon & Brazier of holy fire (vet. sup.)

Statistics
    Points (IG/SO: 1882, (1214/66
    Faith: 5 points

This leaves me with 118 points enough for a squad of SOB without any transport, question is if that is what I want. I'm not rather found of having drop troops but it would be nice to get that third part of the holy trinity (bolter, flamer, melta)... I will have to think a bit on this. It would also be fluffy to have a priest somewhere in the army - preferable with the guard but that would be really awful in gaming point of view. On the other hand having a priest in the Celestian squad could prove useful, but probably not as useful as a entire squad of SOB.

I am also wondering which IG models you think fit best in this army. I have nailed down 3 different that I think are cool:
    Mordian Iron Guard
    On the plus side is their hard leadership and full faith in the emperor. Thou I think their uniforms are abit to classy
    but with a dark colourscheme of red, black and details in yellow (maybe some white) that might be fixed, really must try that scheme before I decide.
    Death Korps of Krieg
    Their fluff is the best in this.. Hard fighters who travel the universe fighting the emperors worst enemies and prefer to fight heretics. Seeing their comrades deaths as a payment for their heretic behavior in ancient times. The downside is that I think the skull in their gas-masks are more then a bit to much.
    Steel Legion
    The best uniforms but worst fluff. What do you think about using SL models to represent DKoK with a few real DKoK as elites (command squads and sergeants?). I think I need to look more on the DKoK models IRL before I decide. There actually is nothing wrong with SLs fluff just don't fit in my army very well (all that mech and so on...)

Do you know how hard it is to get your hands on these different models and which their prices is? As I have understood it the DKoK must be bought from Forge world and costs to much, the SL seems avaible as metal models in GW standard and the Mordians I'm not even they still sell...

Sorry that it became such a long post...
    Last edited by Mjateznik; April 1st, 2007 at 13:14. Reason: spelling mistake

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Righty....

List looks good.

The extra points is tricky. you dont really need a squad of sisters the priest although fun wouldnt be worth it. I suggest a hellhound and for the last three points, bolt pistols on all the officers!

Would finish the army off nicely. Flames fit with the theme and the hellhound could roll with the celestians!

As for models you have chosen all of the most expensive ones!
    mordians are £2.50 for a basic infantryman with £4 for one officer special weapons similar and hevay weapons up to over a tenner
    They are also hard to get although ebay could get you them at much reduced costs.
    Steel legion again expensive GW alwasy has a limited stock but again ebay is your friend (plus they look better on the move ie. in chimeras and dont have a mortar model)
    Dkok are around £32 a squad before heavy weapons which are around £14 each not to mention P&P. Most expenisve and the only place is forgeworld they are just such nice models though!!

If you have lots of money or indeed want to spend several years buying this army then go for death korps. A concentrated effort and an ebay account should get you most of what you need for the other two but dont rule out cadians, yes everyone uses tem but a decent paint scheme and a few religiousy type sprues added in could make your guard very unique indeed!

hope that helps

A

+ Reply to Thread