Deathwing Infantry (1500) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathwing Infantry (1500)

The new Dark Angels codex promises a world of new, surprising options, from the use of combat squads to non-Deathwing units in a Deathwing army! Fixing the squad sizes, however, has effectively screwed my current (older edition) Deathwing infantry list...i.e., no more "extra-terminator" squad fillers...:cry:

So therefore, in order to play a DW list now, one would EFFECTIVELY be forced to use *gasp* non-TDA (Tactical Dreadnought Armour) troops...what is a TDA purist to do? :w00t:

After some tinkering, I've come up with the core of the list:

Deathwing Infantry (1500)
    HQ
    Master Belial (Storm Bolter, Master-Crafted Power Weapon)

Troops
    5 x Deathwing Terminator Squad (3 Assault Cannons, 2 Missile Launchers)

Total

Points Fillers (165)
    That would then leave 165 points for a points filler, which might be any of the following:
    1 Dreadnought (Autocannon, Missile Launcher)
    1 Company Veterans Squad (7 Models, Plasma Gun/Missile Launcher)
    1 Scout Squad (10 Models, Sniper Rifles/Heavy Bolter)
    1 Tactical Squad (10 Models)

-OR-
    With some deft points cutting, one squad of Grey Knight Terminators with a Psycannon!!! (IF that's possible of course, then it'd be the only way possible to have a TDA only DW infantry list )
    1 Grey Knight Terminators Squad (3 Models, 1 Psycannon)

So, the whole point of this thread is...
    1. What sort of points fillers would be good for an all-infantry DW list?
    2. Would it be possible to use Grey Knights in an all-infantry DW list?
    3. What about for a 1000 pt or 2000 pt army, how should/would I flesh out the army with ~145-185 points remaining?

Last edited by AOXES; April 2nd, 2007 at 05:49. Reason: Added "Tactical Squad" to Points Fillers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could take a Venerable Dreadnought, which would be Deathwing-appropriate. I always like scouts, but I think the Dreadnought is a better fit.

Are you planning to deep-strike any of these guys?

--$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you can deploy the GK termies so long as it is only 1 squad. I think the restrictions on elites whan using DH allies is 0-1 Elites, so you should be ok if that is what you want to do.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not grab a ven dread w/ a tl lascannon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The biggest problem with taking a Dread is that it will stick out as the only armored unit you have and will get vaped turn 1.

With those extra points, I'd take a Terminator Librarian with a combi-plasma or combi-melta for 150 and adding 3 chainfists. Another killy IC to run with your army, and chainfists for vehicle killing.

How are you setting up your termie squads?
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, was a little hesitant on going for a SINGLE dread for exactly that reason...therefore, more footsloggers it is. (Or maybe I could just get one and call him Brother Sore-Thumb Drawfire...haha)

I was thinking of going most (if not all) vanilla termies, i.e., Storm Bolters/Power Fists. I feel that adding in some close combat terminators might be useful, but sacrifices on firepower for a shooty squad.

Even then, is it possible (both fluff, rules and tactics wise) to take a Grey Knight Terminator squad? Is it "beardy/cheesy"

*Edit*: Whoops, just read your reply Steel_Legionnaire =)
    Last edited by AOXES; April 2nd, 2007 at 13:07. Reason: Addition Of Extra Stuff

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

You could also field a tripple las predator. It is exactly 165 in total, and would do bad things to any armour you face, freeing up your termies to focus fire on infantry and other suitable targets.

You could take Brother Sore-thumbs McDrawfire as a venerable dread and leave him there to, well, draw fire away from your troops.

Also, I might suggest taking Sore-thumbs and swapping the ML for 2 more assault cannons. They're better against infantry and, since you're deepstriking in fairly close to things you want dead, most likely, they're about as effective against tanks.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input.

Well, personally, I feel that having only one vehicle in an army is quite, "eggs-in-one-basket", it either survives to do some damage (*splats on somebody*) or it doesn't (*splats on the floor*). How about a Land Speeder or Bike Squadron? Likely a little overused now though...

Would it be possible to use a Scout/Tactical/Veterans Squad as a meat shield then? Or should I kit out a supporting squad as fire support?

Then again, GK Termies are a pretty new concept to me, any advice on how to field them (as in Wargear/Deployment, not how to put them in a list... :w00t: )? In particular, how to use them with a DW army?
    Last edited by AOXES; April 3rd, 2007 at 13:44. Reason: Added "Grey Knight Terminator" part...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not use the next best thing for an all TDA list? A unit of ravenwing bikers, that use scout move and a teleport homer to deathwing assault 3 of those termi units. DS the three AC units on turn one near the bikers, so you can be sure to use the 24" range of doooom to greater effect that turn. Then you can DS the ML squads(CC units?) among the enemy in later turns to assault and tie them up.

If you can squeeze 5 more points for filler, not sure where, you can do the basic 3 bike unit and an attack bike with MM for tank hunting. Not to mention the AB has teleport homer as well so two targets the enemy has to worry about.

If you still only 165 do this.
    3 bikes, powerfist, 2 meltas. This is exactly 165.
    Age is a state of mind, and since I have no mind, I don't age.
    Check out my painting blog at http://gmansminipainting.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread