Tau vs Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau vs Imperial Guard

I play my friend who has a Tau army. I was wondering what I could use against him.
    He has

2 hammerheads
    24 fire warriors
    2 crisis suits with burst cannons
    1 commander with plasma rifles and shield generator
    3 XV25's
    1 broadside'
    1 squad of kroot

Thats everything he has, I don't know how much he is going to use in his army (1000pts)

any thoughts on what special and heavy weapons I should be taking? or how many squads I would need?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mortars, Mortars, and more Mortars. Seriously, Tau hates mortar. The indirect fire on them is a plus especially when they like to play the move shoot and then move back behind cover. Laugh at them and then hand them the small template and say put it over it and roll for scatter. You would do well with 2 mortar squads, more if you can with the HW platoon. You can field 3 squads of them there. Take missile lauchers or lascannons in the anti tank squads or in the HQ to deal with the pesky hammerhead2
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

As a recent Tau convert myself, I can say with total certainty that anything that fires indirectly is a nightmare for the Tau. As such, I think you'll find that Basilisks will do a ton of damage (I'd take at least two of these) as they can hit Crisis and Stealth suits without needing a line of sight and ignore their armor saves.

Mortars aren't something I would take against the Tau. Most Tau players tend to load their Fire Warriors (the best target for your mortars aside from Kroot) into Devilfish which are totally immune to weapons of S6 or less (when you're firing at the front armor, at least). Crisis suits will likely laugh off even a direct mortar hit with their good Toughness and thick armor.

When it comes to cracking open those Hammerheads, lascannons and missile launchers will be your friends. You might also want to consider taking a small unit of Veterans with as many meltaguns as they can carry and use the Drop Troops Doctrine to Deep Strike close to the Hammerheads and pop them. This is a bit risky though due to Deep Strike's fickle nature, so it may be wise to stick to more orthodox methods.

Kroot can be a problem especially when they're in forests/jungle or ruins. With a 4+ cover save, Kroot can become really difficult to get rid of and can deal a good bit of damage with their rifles. To deal with them I'd suggest an Armored Fist squad. Give the Chimera the usual multi laser and heavy bolter (good to threaten Devilfish and keep them honest), and give one of your Guardsmen a flamer. Drive up to wherever the Kroot are hiding and BBQ 'em.

I strongly recommend that you take as many Guardsmen as possible, as without any heavy tanks you're going to be eating pie plate after pie plate from the Hammerheads which can really make short work of your infantry. To help offset this, deploy in cover (as long as you don't restrict your LoS too much) and do everything in your power to take those skimmers down. Once you've dealt with the battlesuits, don't be afraid to nail his tanks with Earthshaker cannon shells.

Hope that helps,

Katie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctorines:
    Close Quarters Drill
    Iron Discipline
    Drop Troops
    (?)
    (?)

HQ

Junior Officer
    Honourifica Imperialis

Standard Bearer
    Grenade Launchers (3)
    Iron Discipline

Elites

Veterans (5)
    Melta-Guns (3)

Troops

Platoon 1

Junior Officer
    Iron Discipline
    Plasma Guns (3)

Medic

Squad 1

Grenade Launcher(1)
    Heavy Bolter (1)

Squad 2
    Grenade Launcher (1)
    Heavy Bolter (1)

Platoon 2
    Junior Officer
    Heavy Bolter (1)

Squad 1
    Grenade Launcher (1)
    Heavy Bolter (1)

Squad 2
    Grenade Launcher (1)
    Lascannon (1)

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Heavy Bolters (2)
    Smoke Launchers
    Lascannon (1)

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Plasma Cannons (2)
    Lascannon (1)
    Smoke Launchers

This is what I've got at the moment, what do you suggest changing to free up points for a basilisk?

EDIT: was just tidying it up because I pasted it from excel
    Last edited by MeatyG; April 12th, 2007 at 18:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True as above. I wouldn't waste the mortar shots on the crisis suits or the hammer heads but on the fire warriors and kroots, they are perfect for. The missles and lascannon is for the hammerheads. Another benefit with the mortars is the wonderful pin check they will have to make when one goes down. If you can get a group of Fire warriors pinned on the first round of mortars, then move to the next group. Nothing like getting the Kroots and Fire warriors pinned where they can't move or shoot the next turn.

Anyway, I am bias with the mortars. At a 2000 pts game, I am nothing but mortars. 33 mortars total in the army. 11 indirected barrages of mortars with the atleast 4 pinned. Not bad I say. My anti armor is in the sentinels tricked out with lascannon, autocannon, and for fun a heavy flamer. Run them out of range until you can get them behind the armor to hit them at their weakest armor value. The indiividual squads have las cannons to deal with armor as well with the command squads with missile launchers.

It is a great list to play, only the SM, Chaos, and Necrons list where they can shrug off the mortars but they are still pestered like flys on trash.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

That list has fairly few jetpack units, so I propose a war of attrition. Tau have very bad leadership (possibly the worst of all armies) so just make them roll leadership and morale tests. It won't be long before they fall.

The list I would bring is a bunch of squads with any heavy weapon but heavy bolters and either plasma guns or grenade launchers, your choice. Focus on rolling one glancing hit per Hammerhead, per turn. They won't be able to fire for half the game and maybe you'll get lucky. Once they're shaken, focus on his troops. Kill his suits whenever you can bother--they aren't going to win the game for him.

Firedrake is right about Tau hating indirect fire, so bring a Basilisk and/or mortars. Also bring a Hellhound or two. Trust me, Hellhounds are scarier than Leman Russes for Tau! That's about all you need...nothing fancy...just stick to your IG strengths and have overlapping fire lanes.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, have a friend that plays tau, and had to play them at a local tourney a couple times, soo, what worked for me was HEAVY BOLTERS. Unless in cover, it ignores the saves of fire warriors, and the additional range with 3 shots is great. Flamers are great for killing off kroot, and forcing some saves on the firewarriors when you are done with that. The hellhound will do great at this, just watch out to make sure that command battle suit doesn't come up and blast it in the side with that plasma or the most obvious, the hammerhead puts a round through it.

Basiliks work great too, I would drop at leas one russ, and get either a basilisk or hellhound, and put the rest of the points somewhere usefull.
    Last edited by Steel_Legianaire; April 13th, 2007 at 08:20.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a command squad 1 commander 2 XV8's equipped with everything under the sun, any good units for pinning those down?
    With the basilisk minmum range, as Tau are a shooty army, aren't they going to want to keep as far away as possible?
    So should I drop a demolisher or Battle tank? I'm thinking the demolisher because its going to have to get really close without firing any weapons to use the cannon because they're all over S6, something that will be really hard against Tau.

So replacing the Demolisher with a hellhound/basilisk and maybe some lascannon squads or a deep strike veterans team with plasma?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those battle suits have decent Ld, so pinning them isn't going to be easy, better off using shots that are going to kill them. If he takes shield generators, your job just got harder, because even if you hit them with ap3 stuff, he still gets 4+ invulnerable. Best bet is just spam them with heavy bolter fire.

As far as the russ to drop, drop the demolisher for your stated reason. The battle tank has good range, and those heavy bolters will help alot more than plasma cannons in this instance. The demolisher is better suited for melting marines and necrons.

You could deepstrike the vets.....or infiltrate them into some cover with good shots on some valuable targets, like say the side of a hammerhead, or a squad of battlesuits. This would be awesome if you got first turn:yes: , heck even a devilfish full firewarriors.

When you drop that demolisher, and pick up the basilisk or hellhound, taking some ML would be good, since they are cheaper, can kill infantry too, and considering the tau armor isn't that tough, will generally do the trick. Keep your 1 LC though, as this will have a better chance at killing the hammerhead.

Also, just an idea, if you have doctrine points to spare, picking up an anti-tank squad or firesupport squad w/ sharpshooters is a nice little addition for around 80ish points.

Hope this helps.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=92975 (Tau vs Imperial Guard (1k points))

My friends army list is posted in the Tau section, if you could check it out and give some updated advice it would be much welcomed!

Any good anti-fish of fury tactics?
    I'm guessing a decent shot with a few lascannons or a vet squad with plasma/melta.

I'l let you get on with the advice giving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast