Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
This is the list that I am probably going to take to Games Day next year. It is also for other tourneys and competitive play.
Junior Officer Platoon
2 Melta Guns
Fire Support Squad
3 Heavy Bolters
Heavy Weapon Squad
3 Missile Launchers
8 Hardened Veterans
3 melta guns
8 Hardened Veterans
3 Plasma Guns
X2 infantry platoon
Junior Officer squad
2 Infantry Squads
Junior Officer Squad
2 infantry squads
7 plasma guns
2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72
An exact point count would be nice. It would help me to know how many spare points you have to work with. Anyways:
Jungle fighters: Not my personnal preference but it's cool to see a list that uses it.
Hardend fighters: I dont know about this one, its kinda pricy for how much good it does.
Veterans: Good choice! I love this doctrine.
Iron discipline: Those undisciplined little guardsmen always need this to keep them in line.
Sharpshooters: Always goes well with support squads. Take it out of the troop squads, lasguns dont benefit enough to be worth the points and plasma cant use it.
Plasma with the veterans is particularly risky with that 6+ save. You might want to make your platoon command squads your plasma squads by mixing plasma and medics, while giving the vets the autocannons. I've had some really good luck with 3 small vet squads with autocannons using infiltration. You can just put them ~8-10" into jungle and your set.
I dont like the single melta guns in the troop squads. You have enough melta elsewhere, and besides, those troop squads are costing you 110 points each (if my math is correct), so are you honestly planning on sending a squad to costs that much to take on a tank with 1 melta gun? I would reccomend some 'nade launchers.
By the way 110 points per guardsmen squad is insane, you might want to look for a way to cut that back a bit to increase your model count. I would suggest getting rid of the hardened fighters. If you took that doctrine out all together it would save you almost enough to get another entire guardsmen squad, or at least a remnants squad with a special weapon.
Further to the comments above.
1) you are trying to do two things with one squad. Guard just arent that versatile pick one role and use the points to beef another squad for the second role.
Id drop the power sword from that squad and possibly even the stormbolter, also the frags. These things all say i want to assault infantry. With what you ahev left you have a good anti tank setup. If not sure if the vox system is a good way to go if this is what your command will be doing. Also drop the hardened fighters that says I want to kill infantry aswell, you sould save 21 pts here if you keep the strombolter.
2) the heavy bolter squad is good, I'm not too sure about the missiles though, you have loaded up on meltas nearly everywhere else! they arent aprticularly needed and also they dont work well with sharpshooters. I'd drop the whole squad. saving 115 pts!! overall thats 136 pts for the command.
1) i'm iffy about the plasma here aswell as has been mentione dabove, however i see no other way of getting it into the list. So make the squad expendable and suicidy completely. Drop three vets the power weapon and hardened fighters, thatd be 44 points saved here.
2) the melta squad shouldnt be setup for combat. drop the hardended fighters and power weapon. possibly drop a couple of men too the squad doesnt need to be huge. you could get a powerfist as this would make the squad able to assault the tank if shooting it doesnt work out, beware the powerfist isnt that great for a guardsman so I'll leave it as a suggestion. so drop the hardened fighters 2 vets and the power sword, saves 36 pts
3) thats 80 for this section and 216 overall!
1) too many autocannons, these are very specialised. so drop one platoons worth down to heavy bolters so you have some decent anti infantry, next drop the command autocannon for the first first platoon and get them a missile launcher. Also drop all sharpshooters they arent good in line squads and dont work on plasma, saving a whole 55 points.
2) You have lots of plasma and a realy bad save, id swap a few out for grenade launchers, perhaps one squad for each platoon to get a noce mix. You could actually drop all plasma down to greande in the troops and not lose out too badly. I'll leave this down too choice aswell.
3) The third platoon is nice and fluffy but there are a couple of things wrong. firstly you have got meltas. These are anti infantry squads get rid of those meltas and get perhaps flamers in there! also drop a flamer form the platoon command so you have someone to die to enemy firepower before losing decent men. Thatd save 14 pts.
For the whole army thats 285 points saved.
that is a lot of points.
Now I have some other suggestions. Sharpshooters doesnt really fit in this army so I'd drop it for COD, this has a really big change to your effectiveness. The hardened fighters platoon now gets an initiative bonus aswell as the WS bonus. This would mean saving another 10 points yet improving the armies effectiveness.
This also has the added benefit of giving an Ld backup.
Now for the points saved and how to spend. 295 points is a lot so I'd do the following.
Buy a missile launcher and plasma squad for the first platoon this would cost 100 points.
it adds to your anti tank and makes up for the lost missile squad.
Next get vet sarges in your assaulty platoon. With the combo of doctrines they become loads better. Possibly think about getting them stormbolters as this will make those squads very very deadly when fighting light infantry, 2 flamer template, a stormbolter and then a charge, they would be evil!
thatd cost 22 points. so we still have 173 points, another missile and plasma squad for the second platoon, another 100 points, then a heavy flamer sentinel with hardened fighters, thatd be 150 points, again increased firepower and anti tank, also support for your assault platoon. 23 points left.
power sword and bolt pistol for assault officer, power sword and bolter for all non assault thats 18 points. 5 left can go on frags for the main command or the assaulty command.
There you are sorted list.
Lots of suggestions. basically you mispent slightly with the overall doctrine and placement. You missed a good combo using the COD doctrine. The weapons needed shuffling for survivability aswell, and you tried to dual trade a few squads which never works!
It wasn't that bad a list actually!
hope that helps