2k SWs, Please help me finalize this list . . . - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k SWs, Please help me finalize this list . . .

I've been playing Space Wolves for about a year now, but can't play very often, so I'm just now trying to really nail down an all-comer style list that will win me games not simply limited to favorable conditions (pro-assaulting missions) and slower enemies (space marines as opposed to Tau or Eldar), so I'm trying to make a truly all-comer list. Basically, this is my first list utilizing any of the Fast Attack slots on the Space Wolf FOC, and I would like some tips.

HQ

Venerable Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, EA - 160 pts
    Rune Priest - Frost Blade, BP, Wolf Tail Talisman - 102 pts
    Wolf Priest - FoM, FGs, Wolf Tail Talisman - 102 pts

ELITES

Dreadnought - TL Lascannon, ML, EA - 140 pts
    Dreadnought - TL Lascannon, ML, EA - 140 pts

FAST ATTACK

Blood Claw Bike Pack - 6 Bikers, 2 PWs, 1 Flamer - 202 pts
    Land Speeder (Tornado) - Assault Cannon - 80 pts
    Land Speeder (Tornado) - Assault Cannon - 80 pts

TROOPS

Grey Hunter Pack - 10 GHs, 1 PG, 9 Bolter/CCWs - 191 pts
    Grey Hunter Pack - 10 GHs, 1 PG, 9 Bolter/CCWs - 191 pts
    Grey Hunter Pack - 10 GHs, 2 PW, 2 PP, 1 Wolf Totem - 230 pts
    Blood Claw Pack - 14 BCs, 3 PF - 232 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Annihilator - Lascannon Side Sponsons, EA - 150 pts

Point Total = 2000
    Model Count = 58

----------------------------

A few notes - The Wolf Tail Talismans are simply point filler. I've never used the Wolf Totem, but I think I'd like to give it a go. Space Wolves have a low Leadership compared to other Space Marines who can use their Leader's score as long as he's on the table, so I thought the Totem might help compensate for this. Plus, it seems nice and fluffy and would be fun to model.

A few questions -

Is the Predator Annihilator and two Dreadnoughts enough dedicated anti-tank for a 2000 point list? There are Assault Cannons and Power Fists to go anti-tank if necessary, but I wouldn't consider them as reliable sources of anti-tank.

Is the Blood Claw Bike Pack a good option? I need something to route out those las/plas squads, crisis suits, or whatever else that would lay a heap 'o' hurt on my troops as they trudge across the board. I figured between the BCs and the Land Speeders, I wouldn't have to much to worry about, but as I mentioned before, I've never used these units, so I'd appreciate some advice.

Finally, what do people think of Missile Launcher Long Fangs instead of Predators? They don't have any meat shields, but would seemingly be much more adaptable to the situation.

Anway, this post is already long enough. Thanks in advance to all who help me out.

"There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I'll get the ball rolling: I like the list overall, but I think that you would be better off with a couple of small(ish) changes.

1. I would either put the Wolf Priest on a bike, or get a wolf guard and put him on a bike so that you can support the bike squad. The reason why is that I assume you will be getting into CC with this unit, and you don't want it to get bogged down in a squad of 20 BTs or 50 IG conscripts or tyranids or something. Once your charge hits, if the enemy doesn't run, you might be in a bit of trouble, and I think an IC can help that.

2. I think I would run as many PFs in the bike squad as I could (and in my other squads, too), especially if you take a leader (I'm thinking 2 PF & 1 Flamer). The leader will have a PW, so that's hitting fast and hard, and then the PFs can squish anything that gets in their way that the leader doesn't kill. I say this because a dreadnought would pretty much be the end of this squad as it is now.

3. Skimmers and bikes add a bit of speed to the list, but I think that you need to give the GHs some Rhinos so they can keep up with the rest of the list, and not get selected out/seperated by the opponent. You can really use the rhino as terrain, and rapid firing 10 GHs when they get out is deadly. I would also run at least a PW in each GH squad, if not a PF and as much plasma as I can get.

4. What about OBEL scouts? They are a unit I totally forgot about until I looked through the codex last night, and they will really help any tank hunting worries you might have, and fit with a relatively quick(ish) list for SWs.

5. I don't think the LFs are a good choice for this particular list. I can see why they are useful at times, but here I think the tank is a better option, and will take a little bit of heat off of the rhinos/dreads.

So to get the points for these changes, I think that I would drop the CC-styled GHs in favor of 2 rhinos (SL & EA) and the unit of scouts with as much melta/plasma as they can carry.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

While a rhino-based army is very viable (I also use it myself) this list is apparently intended as a slogging list. Nothing wrong with that.

Anti-tank - Yes, I think there's sufficient anti-tank.

BC bikers are good in this is army. As you said, to take care of nuisances. A powerfist would be a good idea but I advice against a bike-mounted HQ as Y'he Sha'is suggests. While in a real combat bike pack an HQ is great, the bikers are here only meant as support.

Long Fangs would be a good idea IMO. Aside from the dreads that can hide in terrain the predator is quite alone and will probably be quickly picked off. In such an infantry list a pack of Long Fangs would be a better help. Yes, they're vulnerable but if your opponent fears them enough to really focus on them they've just bought the rest of your army another turn. Park them in good cover and they'll absorb quite a lot of fire.

On the rest of the list, a powerweapon/fist in every GH pack would be a great idea and scouts are always useful.
    Food for thought would be replacing the CC GH pack with another big BC pack. Numbers are good in slogging lists.

The Wolf Totem is an interesting touch. I've never used it or seen it used. Good luck with it.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's got three HQ's why not have one support the bikers? It is not like normal marines where you only have the one commander, chaplain, or librarian that you need elsewhere.

I agree with Y'he Sha'is. At least give them a Wolf Guard leader with a bike and probably a powerfist too.

+ Reply to Thread