Introduction Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introduction Army?

I don't know why I thought of an army like this, but here it is.
    The aim of this list is not to be extremely powerful or fluffy. Instead it is used to introduce a person to the game that has only read the rulebook once and have no experience. This army can introduce the player to various concepts of the game while giving a winning chance as well. It also has a large range of models so that a beginner will have a taste at various different troops, allowing them to pick the way of fighting they like best. For example, a beginner who used this army a coupla times will notice that he uses the Assault Marine a lot. That may indicate fast assault may be the way forward.

Anybody like this concept? I have a sample list here. Bear in mind the above when commenting please.

HQ

Master of Sanctity: BP, CA, Jump Pack, Artifricer, Termie honours, Frags.

ELITES

5*Terminator Squad: 2 Assault Cannons

Venerable Dreadnought: DCCW,HFlamer, AC, Furious Charge, Extra Armour, Smoke, Drop Pod

TROOPS

5*Tactical Squad: HB, Plasma gun

7*Scout Squad: CCW+BP
    1*Veteran Sergeant: Fist, BP, homer

FAST ATTACK

7*Assault Squad: BP+CCW
    1*Vet. Serg.: Homer, BP, PF, Auspex point filler.

2*Attack Bike Squadron: Heavy Bolters

HEAVY SUPPORT

4*Devastator Squad: 4ML
    1*Sergeant: Bolter

Predator Anniliatr: Sponson HB, Extra Armour

Whirlwind: Extra Armour

TOTAL: 1500
    MODELS: 38

Last edited by Sergeant Tanthius; May 21st, 2007 at 02:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only suggestion I can think to make, as a new-ish player, is that you might want to have the dreadnaught equipped with a close combat weapon. Dreads have afew special rules of CC that make them stand out, and letting your friend see and realise this will diffently be a good idea.
    "This has nothing to do with rules and regulations, and everything to do with wrong and right."- Ray Liotta, NARC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epic933 View Post
    The only suggestion I can think to make, as a new-ish player, is that you might want to have the dreadnaught equipped with a close combat weapon. Dreads have afew special rules of CC that make them stand out, and letting your friend see and realise this will diffently be a good idea.
    Umm...I didn't think about it that way...that's why I put it up here. I'll edit the original post.

Anybody love/hate this idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

The only thing not represented are large tactical squads. But then, you can't put everything in a 1.5k list. it's fine army.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Id give a newish player more marines.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Id give a newish player more marines.
    See, the point is not to sell marines, but the game in general. To much 3+ and the player will get used to invincible troops and will mislead them if they select a different army.

I need to refine this army till it is mildly competitive while being educational as well.

Anymore advice & criticism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

You want to give an introduction to Space Marines. Well, tactical squads are the central element of Space Marines, more so than Assault squads or terminators. I'd see to include a large Tactical squad in a rhino. Not only does it give the starting player to try out what solid Tactical squads can do, it also puts a transport element in the army.
    Yes, they have power armour, but all marines have power armour (except scouts of course...). If you don't want to familiarize a player with that, use a different army.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Araith View Post
    You want to give an introduction to Space Marines. Well, tactical squads are the central element of Space Marines, more so than Assault squads or terminators. I'd see to include a large Tactical squad in a rhino. Not only does it give the starting player to try out what solid Tactical squads can do, it also puts a transport element in the army.
    Yes, they have power armour, but all marines have power armour (except scouts of course...). If you don't want to familiarize a player with that, use a different army.

Tai'shar
    Read my posts carefully please. This is not a introduction to Space Marines army. This army introduces the rules and concepts of the game, that's why I tried to include every unit type and every type of weapon (heavy, blast, ordnance, assault, rapid fire) possible. Also I used different armours to make sure the player is not confused on the survivability of all the other units in 40K.

A lot of thinking must be put in this army, but at the same time keep it competitive enough so that a relatively good player/lucky new player can win. Losing all your games with your first army can discourage some people from the hobby.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

See, the point is not to sell marines, but the game in general. To much 3+ and the player will get used to invincible troops and will mislead them if they select a different army.

I need to refine this army till it is mildly competitive while being educational as well.

Anymore advice & criticism?
    My point is, if you want a player to keep playing warhammer, give them a list they could make mistakes with - and still have a chance to win with.

This list, would be hard to win with, even for a veteran.

If you want to be good at warhammer, a player needs to master how to use their troop choices. Heavy support, fast attack, and elite units are easy to use, comparatively.

Next, a player needs to master the movement phase. Learning where, when, and how far to move ones troops, is the real key to warhammer. Learning ranges is also an essential aspect to the movement phase.

A player who masters these two skills, can play any race, with a quick read of the codex, and the right models.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

+ Reply to Thread