Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey, I just bought my own command squad (yay!) so I finally got to writing up my first real army list. Sorry if there are a bunch of mistakes or dumb items. I'm not used to this sort of thing.
Heroic Senior officer
w/ Cara, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
3 guardsmen, 1 standard bearer
Fire support Squad
3 Hvy Bolters
Anti Tank Squad
w/ Hon. Imp., Cara armor, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
4 Plasma Guardsmen
2 Squads of 8 guardsmen, 1 sgt, 1 plasma guardsman
w/ Cara armor, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
4 Plasma Guardsmen
2 Squads of 8 guardsmen, 1 sgt, 1 plasma guardsman
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Hull Lascannon, Hvy Bolter Sponsons, smoke launchers, track guards, Hunter Killer missle, Pintle Hvy Stubber, extra armor
Basi with Indirect Fire
Doctrines Close Order Drill, Sharpshooters on all infantry squads and HW squads, Light Infantry on ALL troops, iron dicipline on 4 infantry squads
Any comments/advice/no-no's appreciated.
Welcome aboard! You'll find plenty of kit on the ground when you get to the front line.
For doctrines, sharpshooters doesn't work on plasma guns, so you may want to reconsider coughing up for it on the infantry squads. Also, Iron Discipline is bought for the officer, not the infantry squad.
If you infiltrate and get first turn, the plasma command squads could be devestating, but to me they just look like big fat sacks of victory points =). Plus you're making your LD into your opponent's highest priority target.
If you remove:
Sharpshooters on 4 infantry squads and the heavy bolters
2 plasma guns from each command squad
track guards and pintle stubber
what you appear to have overpaid for iron discipline
This gives you almost the exact points you need for 2 squads of 6 hardened veterans with 2 plasma guns each.
Vets come with BS4 and infiltrate at no extra cost, and LD8 without an officer around
You've now forced your opponent to divide fire between an additional 2 more targets to eliminate the plasma threat.
You're presenting a high threat target that an opponent may choose to engage before turning on your officers and taking away your LD.
You now have some ablative wounds protecting each valuable plasma trooper
You've diluted the victory point value of each individual target your opponent may choose to focus fire on.
Edit: also consider carefully choosing to put carapace armor on your jr officer. There are conceivably situations where you'd want to remove him before a plasma gun, and the armor takes away that option.
Last edited by InquisitorAffe; May 30th, 2007 at 03:32.
Ah! Thanks a lot!
For iron dicipline, do you put it on the sgt or does it have to be a junior/senior/etc officer?
Thanks for the tip on Vets. I've never actually used them but they seem like a good deal.
I probably should drop the Sharpshooters on the Infantry squads but doesn't it do well with the Hvy Bolters?
And the Hon. Imp. does seem like a point sink now that I think of it.
Thanks again, and I'll try to have a revised list up.
I was under the impression that only the HQ could have 4 plasma gunners, not the command squads...
In the codex it states: "one guardsMAN not acting as a heavy weapons team may take one of the following special weapons....blah blah blah.
Am I wrong here?
Platoon command squads are the same unit that appears in the HQ section, except of course the officer must be Jr and you can't have a banner or master vox. They're not a 5 man version of the infantry squad.
Can't really speak from personal experience for sharp shootes on the hvy bolters. To me it doesn't seem worth the points for one potential reroll out of 9 shots. I've only ever taken it on units that include a lascannon.
ID is officers only, not sgts.
I dont know how to do soft.... Ill try,
1) Those troops with only plasma seem a little underpowered to me, even with light infantry you will still want some decent squad firepower, perhaps consider making one squad a platoons anchor and give them say an autocannon. Its a weapon you dont have and also one which goes wel with the plasma.
2) The command squads need to drop at least one plasma guy. I usually allocate 24 points for command squad weapons add ons, this means that the better and therefore more valuable weapons get ablative armour or in effect extra wounds. It isnt the only method but at least get rid of one guy.
3) Carapace on one guy is a no-no. it is expensive considering you could get them a stormbolter for that price (much more useful) It means they can also be effectively singled out in the shooting phase aswell. With differing armour values you have to go round the squad allocating wounds so the officer will be fored ot make a save every time making the command squad no longer ablative wounds.
4) The russ is pretty tricked out which is a bad idea. You have done a good job in the rest of your army keeping upgrades down accept for here. Right drop everything yes everything accept the weapons (I love sponsons).
first smoke, you want to fire the Russ yes? then why smoke, if its cos you are runnig away dont you think perhaps there may be somethig to hide behind within 12" (like the burnt out wreck of another vehicle, I play sacrificial mech I make walls with my chimeras then hide behind them its fun!)
the hunter killer is expensive and the new one also looks ugly. This is a bad upgrade do not take it.
extra amrour can be ok if you have spare points as it allows you to run and in your army it
can see it working so perhaps consider this.
track guards arent that useful really the small chance you will actually get that hit isnt worth the points never use them personally and would only consider them on something that really needed ot move like a chimera.
pintle stubber. Its nice but has no place here. It cant be used when you fire the main gun. If you want to waste points on it as a backup then convert to triple heavy bolter or just get an exterminator. Good upgrade just the wrong place.
5) As for the doctrines, drop sharpshooters on everythng accept the heavy bolters (these guys are the only ones who can effectively use the upgrade) Iron dicipline is for officers so have a re read of what it is for and does. Make sure you know which troops can actually use close order Heavy weapons squads cant for a start.
with any saved points get some weapon variety and more men. a couple more squads woudl be good. A nice trick if you are running low on poonts is to buy a third squad of remnants, give the ten man squa a hevay wepaon and stick the plasma in the remnants squad. Its less men but its variable size helps with points etc. so thatd be platoon commadn then sqd 1 with plasma sqd 2 with hevay bolter say and then the remnants squad also with plasma.
Hope that all helps