weird land raider list (1000pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

weird land raider list (1000pts)

Ok so, lol... of all the things i thought i would be posting in this forum, i did not expect to be posting a list like this~! Honestly, it is extremly out of the ordinary, i have yet to see a list like this.

after constant tactic readings from areas that number6 advised me to read and taking a few other things into acount, i came accross this list:

Brother Captain
    Psycannon
    Targeter
    Sacred Incense

Justicar
    Melta Bombs
    Targeter
    5 Grey Knights
    Incinerator

Justicar
    Melta Bombs
    Targeter
    5 Grey Knights
    Incinerator

Land Raider
    Extra Armour
    Smoke Launchers

Land Raider
    Extra Armour
    Smoke Launchers

the above list is actually a very good list, and all comments on it are moot seeing as how the person who joint-created this list, has been more successful then most GK players.

linky: Click here for full explanation of the above list

Now that got me thinking.... and here is what i thought of:

using the tactics presented in that link, exactly how many Land raiders can you feild in 1000pts? the following is my conclusion.... Looking at this list makes me laugh, but i think it is one that would make my opponent cry....

Brother Captain
    -Psycannon

IST x 5 (2 with Plasma Gun)

IST x 5 (2 with Plasma Gun)

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers

Land Raider
    -Smoke Launchers

that list is exactly 1000pts... and honestly, what 1000pt army has enough AT to take care of 3 land raiders? using the tactics in that link, and with the plasma gun fire should the enemy get to close, i think this is an UBER power gaming list.... sure the tactics would take a little to get down, but as long as you keep the IST in the two LR's with EA, and you can either deapstrike the BC or keep him within 6" of one of the land raiders, you can actually have some decent success with this list methinks... and i plan on getting three land raiders to try this out..... maybe not right at the moment (in between jobs...) but some time before december i plan on making this an idea that i test thourally. I will let ye know how it turns out.

any questions // comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Wow, that first list is bad
    I think I will play that in my next 1000pt game... Little bit cheese but will have to try.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Heh. Even Silent Requiem wouldn't take three land raiders at 1000 pts!

Personally, I'm in agreement with Luke Harvey: Silent's 1000 pt list is terrible. However, he apparently has a high degree of success with it, so who are we to gainsay? At this points level, it's really an attempt to beat the opponent into a pulp via brute force because, in virtually all games, people just don't expect to see that many tanks that UBER on the board. Of course it will sometimes work, but still, one single lucky anti-tank shot -- from any of an infinite variety of sources -- can ruin the list entirely. It's a risky, risky way to play, and infinitely more difficult than the kind of 1000 pt list I employ and play with.

So all I can say, Goblin, is: Good Luck!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x2)

when i get the chance, im ging to proxy as many games as possible, and see how it goes, honestly, i dont expect much degree of success though in my dreams i had another idea featuring a land raider heavy list...

(yes im sad that i dream about such things)

I dont know why i thought of this list, but it made me laugh again, so i figured i would post it.... The Inquisitors pop their head out of the chimera with the psycannon, so you have two mobile firering tanks (open toped) with 2 Heavy Bolters and 1 Psycannon each.... plus you have the Deep Striking (or independant) Brother Captain shooting, and you have the two land raiders, not only does this give an additional Target, it would keep your Land Raiders alive longer, and it wouldnt be so DIRE to not loose a land raider (although it would still be devestating)

Brother Captain
    -Psycannon

Inquisitor (elite)
    -Psycannon
    Dedicated Transport: Chimera
    -2 x Heavy Bolter

Inquisitor (elite)
    -Psycannon
    -2 x Heavy Bolter

5 x IST (1 with Plasma Gun)

5 x IST (1 with Plasma Gun)

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers

So then, anyone else got any cool lists that feature lots of tanks with a few troops that they think would be funny, yet interesting to play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope the 'Silent Requiem' Formation works out well for you, even if others say you're crazy. It's worked with me and I've had some results but as some members have mentioned you've got to be lucky, or rather well ready to absorb the scenario's limitations and posibilities. Make use of Silent's strategy to go with this style of play - Keep note enemy firing ranges (taking into count movement too), make good use of cover and aim to 'wear' the enemy down rather than go all out or be totally reserved. It really works out well when using this list.

Not so sure about your second list as it seems to reliable on few 'UBER TANK' units and don't actaully have enough manpower in terms of quality or quantity. At 1,000 points you can be sure that they'll be quite a few anti-tank weapons and enough anti-infantry to be painful. As pointed out above, you've really got to hope they don't get lucky rolls when firing at your tanks because 10 IST's, and a couple of =]I[= won't last long once exposed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Anybody thought about modifying Silent's list with a more traditional pair of chimeras with ISTs instead of the more expensive GK-carrying land raiders?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Anybody thought about modifying Silent's list with a more traditional pair of chimeras with ISTs instead of the more expensive GK-carrying land raiders?
    the thing that is hugly different between your idea and well, the ideas above, is few but vastly important:

-Balistic Skill is one higher on the land raider then it is in the chimeras.
    -TWO TWINK LINKED lascannons... whereas the chimeras carying ists do not have that, at most they can have two meltas, but you gotta get really close to fully utilise them.
    -Chimeras are far to easy when compaird to raiders to destroy.

im actually more attracted to the lone INQ w/ psycannon in a chimera then IST or others. it just seems like an UBER troop killer to me, and when you destroy the chimera, you got a two wound guy still left, you can even give him a sage for even easier shooting time with the INQ.

im well aware of all of the disadvantages and whatnot. i was just interested in more unique tankish lists that no one has either thought of, or have thought are so extreme they wouldnt bother trying to use and any advice on them.

i dont know, i guess i just like to pick apart some original ideas. Like who would have ever thought that a list of two land raiders could work well? For that reason, i think we should brainstorm some unique list ideas for fun involving one or more land raiders, used in whatever way you see fit!! i got the ball rolling, lets see what you guys create, you are not limited to the codex of Deamonhunters either, as long as Daemonhunters is somehow used in your army list, then show us your unique lists!

EDIT: i modified his list using a few chimera's and this is what i got:

Brother Captain
    -Psycannon

8 IST
    -2 Plasma Guns
    Chimera transport
    -2 Heavy Bolters
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers = 193

8 IST
    -2 Plasma Guns
    Chimera transport
    -2 Heavy Bolters
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers = 193

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers = 258

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launchers = 258

Using Silent's tactics with the land raiders, you can do exactly what he would do before, but with the bonus of the two Chimera's you can cut down the enemy as they advance, and if they get two close to your land raiders (for assault) then you can unload and double tap the plasmas and hellguns and take the assault all while repositioning the land raiders. The chimers are there for a few reasons, one is so that it can draw fire from the land raiders, two is so that it can dish out 6 heavy bolter shots a turn! and three is so that if need be (if your facing a shooty army) you can rush them up quick and unload your guys and shoot like a beast and draw more fire with the troops and tank. If i am to get in any time any other models, i would probably make the above list, as the diversity is amazing and seems fun to me.

as well, if anyone is interested, my current list (that i have playtested against other players) that i get some degree of success from, is the following:

Brother Captain
    -Psycannon
    -Targeter

Grey Knight Justicar
    -Targeter
    -Melta Bombs
    -Grey Knight x 8 = 256

Grey Knight Justicar
    -Targeter
    -Grey Knight x 9 = 276

Land Raider
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke Launcher = 258

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    -Assault Cannon
    -Extra Armour
    -Smoke launcher = 118

i always footslog the Grey Knights, I tried putting htem in the Land raider, but usually i find i keep my land raider as far back as possible. also the more targets my enemy has to shoot at, the more chances he has of messing up. and if you notice, every unit in my army can devistate the enemy if left unskathed, so it really forces my opponent to prioritize.. usually they target the dreadnought or land raider first. and the shooting as i advance from the grey knights really hurts the enemies, and i advance the dreadnought with the grey knights. usually, the dreadnought lasts on average, about 2 turns. which is enough to save lots of my grey knights so i can get them into combat, while the Land raider draws lots of fire, and usually survives 3-4 turns. so i can most of the time get them into combat unscathed as long as my opponent worries about my armour too much. Also, i love to deepstrike in my BC, but sometimes i footslog him with a squad of grey knights (but i try not to, unless against close combat armys, as it really draws fire to have him with my grey knights)

anyways, so there are two more Land raider lists.
    Last edited by Goblin; June 6th, 2007 at 21:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    Inquisitor (elite)
    -Psycannon
    -2 x Heavy Bolter
    This seems like a huge waste of time, the heavy bolters wont be used half the time coz they will be moving (unless your using the chimera as a moving gun base in which case lose the h/bolters and give the =][= PA and then he can fire 18" psycannon from the fire point without making it open topped) This is an expensive Unit that wont generally be able to hold anything.

Also the thing that made the first list work was that it had GK's.. the LR's did some work (they took out tanks etc) but it was the GK's that would be killing everything once in c/c, your IST in this last list would get chomped. LR's are tough but not that tough, Rail gun's only need a 4+ and I know most Tau players have at least two of them. OR melta bombs etc..

If your wanting a TANK heavy army, why not look at the IG?

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Luke, I think we can assume those HBs are on the Chimera, not in the hands of the ISTs, and vehicle mounted weapons don't suffer from movement.

I am not to found of the list(s) my self as I can see the horrible damage inflicted on them by say 1000 points of IG.
    I'm not to found of the idea of using Chimeras to draw to draw fire from the LRs as one uses two completely different sets of weaponry against them.
    The strength of the first list (GK+LR) is that it renders a huge ammount of enemy weaponry worthless. Why shoot autocannons etc on two LRs?
    In your combined Chimera LR list however every heavy weapon will have the day of his life. Missile Launcher and heavier weapons go for the LRs and all the other guys goes after the Chimeras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Honestly ever since I've read Silent's tactica I've tried out the theory some in Vassal. While it takes some getting used to, it works amazingly well. It does involve utilizing cover and playing in a VP denial manner (and yes some people are going to cry about you taking 2 LR's in 1000 points...answer: why didn't you take enough anti-armor to kill them or...if they are SM...why didn't you take 2 LR's ).

@ Goblin:

If you use your modified list with the ISTs/Chims instead of the GKs they you are shifting the list from a water style list to a more air/earth oriented one. You lack the CC power that the GKs offered. And there is nothing wrong with this just a different style of play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast