5000 Point Mega-Army. 2 Force Orgs. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5000 Point Mega-Army. 2 Force Orgs.

This is a 7k megabattle. Me with 5k of guard, my mate with 2k of SM, vs 7k of Chaos. The only tailoring I think I'm doing is I'm not taking any Leman Russ Exterminators...oh well.

Starting with the regular guard list. All models have close order drill:

HQ-186-HSO with PW, Iron Discipline, Veteran with standard, Independent Com. w/ PW, Master vox

T-55-JO with Iron Discipline, Heavy Bolter
    85-Squad with vox, Autocannon
    80-Squad with vox, Heavy Bolter
    95-Squad with vox, Lascannon

T-310-50 Conscripts with 5 flamers, Commissar with PW

T-110-9 Grenadiers with 2 Plasma Rifles

E-120-10 Vets with 3 Plasma Rifles, vox

That adds up to 1946 in that FO chart.

And now onto the Armored Co. FO chart.

HQ-260-Leman Russ Company Commander with AT rounds

E-225-Leman Russ Tank Ace w/ AT rounds

T-155-Leman Russ with 3 Heavy Bolters

HS-125-Basilisk with Indirect Fire

Super-Heavy Detachment-1350-2 Baneblades.

While the Baneblades may not be the most efficient way at all to spend 1350 points...I only have about 250 guardsmen, and 224 of them are already being used in the list...and I want to field two just to be able to say I've done it : D I could also field a gorgon and another 500 points of something, as the chaos boyz are willing to up it to 8k.

The scenario is the Dark Knights chapter (my SM allies) are holding out in a monastery/city, defending a relic, in the middle of the board (4 feet by 8 feet). a road goes from one board edge to the other, through the monastery. Deployment zones are 12 inches (maybe more...) at either end of the board, and yes we're playing longways. No infiltrating or deepstriking allowed. If I took the gorgon, I could rush 50 men up the road going twelve inches a turn, bringing bodies to the front quickly to aid the besieged marines. my AC will likely deploy in the corners and move up to get better LOS, firing along the way. Bassies stay in the rear and pound away at the enemy. Infantry...run forward into firing positions in case the monastery is taken, to mount a counter assault, if the marines can hold it, they will move into the city and set up covered firing positions and/or "aid" (as best as guard can) in the defense of the holy monastery.

What do you think? Add 500 for the gorgon? That would give me a little spare change too, for upgrades like smoke launchers, extra armor, etc...

How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

HQ-186-HSO with PW, Iron Discipline, Veteran with standard, Independent Com. w/ PW, Master vox

Voxs good, but the heavy weapons are wasteful because you won't get to use them for two turns. You're going to have to move your men at least once for the AC and LC, and twice for the HBs. Meanwhile, the Chaos team will likely rush Rhino's up 24 inches, unload, and turn 2 there will be chaos at the monestary fighting and deep striking Daemons (I assume that's allowed). You have one critical advantage though, you don't need to kill Chaos to win, just prevent them from breeching the monestary. Put your guard in Chimeras with special weapons and rush in to tie up Chaos. (if you have the models) This way your buddy's marines can selectively apply force to stop Chaos effectively.

T-110-9 Grenadiers with 2 Plasma Rifles

I like this part, lots of good tie up units and MEQ killing.

HQ-260-Leman Russ Company Commander with AT rounds

This is where you have a real advantage, all this ordance can hit chaos on turn 1. Meanwhile, they cannot shoot you back except with Defilers and the marines can hide in the citadel. I would hang the Basiliks back and advance the tanks in a slow fire line.

Super-Heavy Detachment-1350-2 Baneblades.
    Yeah, I'd field 2 as well if I could. I think this should be the vanguard of your force. Use the road to move them 12" each turn and get all their wonderful, fire at whatever they want, heavy weapons into range faster. Considering these bad boys can shoot at 5 or 6 squads at once, you want them in range. Consider putting conscripts in front as a screen from Monsterous creatures and CC hell.

Lastly, rather than a gorgon, how about some fast attack? Maybe rough riders, hell hounds? This battle will get close and nasty, it'd be good to have some close range units and CC to help your Marines.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so its definitely an 8000 point game now, so I am allotted 6000 points. I therefore have 1000 points to play with. Also, our opponents are (instead of chaos), Imperial Guard and Grey Knights; possibly one more. infiltrate and Deepstrike will also be allowed now. To protect my tanks rear armors from deepstriking Knights and suicide squads, I will advance infantry, maybe one of the conscript platoons, behind my tanks to put some distance between the tanks and any deepstrikers. My tanks shouldnt necessarily need to move up, but just in case. Even if they are static though, I'll still give them a rearguard.

An idea I had was to take 25 Ogryns and put them in the Gorgon. However, I wouldnt be able to take my two vet squads with 3 plasma each. Now, with less power armor, I may be able to safely drop the veterans, but is this worth it? Against guard theyll do great, and even against marines they will have amazing staying power. To make up for losing this AP 2, I could take Upgraded Sponsons and give my Elite and HQ tanks Plasma Cannon sponsons, only 30 points per tank and theyre BS 4.Comments and criticism here?

Another point of interest: I have 3 unused heavy support choices. I already have 3 basilisks, but would another 3 hurt? stick them on my rear board edge and screen them with tanks or terrain, leave a buffer of infantry to deter deepstrikers. Additionally, they work great at countering rhino rushes and I could also use it to take out my opponents bassie. Does this sound effective? Other Heavies I could take are HW platoons, but theres no point. Leman Russ Demolishers, but theyd be BS3 and I wont need the Plasma or demolisher cannon as my Elites and HQ tanks will have BS 4 plasma sponsons.More regular Battle tanks, but I think I have enough.

Now that theres something not in power armor, I'm also thinking about exterminators. Probably as elites, maybe troops if need be.

Point for point, a gorgon will transport 10 more men than 4 chimeras and be about 20 points more expensive, albeit 6 inches slower. And the ogryn blitz will only work in the gorgon. I'll see about taking some chimeras though.
    How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think against other Guard I'd stick with the veterans because you can deep strike them and mess up some of his tank support. Str 7 against Basilisk armor is still pretty dang good. I don't feel you require the Ogryn rush, when the conscripts meet the enemy there will be total and outright carnage and I think with 5 flamers you'll find the advantage.

If its between the Gorgon and Chimeras I'd take the Chimeras because once they unload they have alot more shooting potential then 1 Gorgon.

+ Reply to Thread