Newbie army please help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Newbie army please help

hello, i have a small collection of space marines that i want to make a good army with. whenever i play, i lose really badly. i was thinking that if i posted my current space marine army, then you guys could tell me what i needed to get and/or an army list using those models.

HQ: Commander w/ two lightning blades (sicarius model from WD)
    Commander w/ power sword and plasma pistol

Elite: Dreadnought (any arms can be attachd)

Troops: 1 rhino
    20 space marines
    1 w/ flamer
    1 w/ plasma gun
    1 w/ missle launcher
    2 sergeants w/ bolt pistol and chainsword

Fast: 5 Assault marines
    1 w/ plasma pistol
    1 sergeant w/ power fist and bolt pistol

obviously i need more models, but im not sure which ones to get. i was thinking getting a devestator squad, scouts, and (maybe) a anhiliator

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

sorry

sorry about the title not having the right info and stuff, but it really doesnt have any cause its so small. if this needs to be deleted or moved, please do so.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

In what combinations have you fielded them? It would help a bit if you would post your earlier armylist, not only the models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

army list

heres my earlier list you asked for. it may not be exactly the same though, as it has been a little bit. its a 750 point list

HQ: captain with plasma pistol and power sword, jump pack

Elite: dreadnought with close combat arm, and assault cannon arm

Troop: 8 marines with plasma gun and sergeant
    4 marines with missle launcher
    8 marines with flamer in rhino

Fast attack: 5 assault marines, sergeant w/ terminator honors and power fist
    1 with plasma pistol

TOTAL: 746
    this army was an assualt army against a tau static force

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Well I actually think it's a pretty good army list overall. Pretty much the stuff I'd use in a 750pt take-all-comers list.

The Captain with Assault squad is good for assault or counter assault, and is quite mobile. They're outfitted pretty well. No complaints there.

Dread is good as-is for a fairly cheap price. He's good support for the foot-slogging Tacticals.

Your Tactical mix needs tweaking. First, you can't have less than 5 men in a unit, so I'd pull a guy from one of the other tac squads to put in the squad with the ML. The 8-man PG squad and the (now 7-man) Rhino-mounted squad with Flamer are good if you can maneuver them properly and make the most of rapid-firing bolters and that flamer.
    (With the way the rules changes are heading--reference DA/BA combat squads rules--it looks like you'll eventually end up having to field 3 units of 5...but then you can take an extra special or heavy weapon if you want).

What I think you're a little short on is Heavy Weapons. Adding a couple of missile launchers to the Tac squad that already has one would create an effective fire-support squad that's got a decent chance against armored vehicles and infantry alike. That's 50 points that has to come from somewhere else, though. You'd have to nix the rhino--which may not be the best thing because that mobility is quite useful. If you did, I'd swap the flamer for a Plasma gun and use the two tac squads to press forward with the dread while the Devs provided covering fire and the Capt with assault-squad retinue attacked from a flank.

Anyway, if you keep losing it's either because you need to refine your tactics, or your opponents are merciless cheesemongers who tailor their armies to demolish yours. Tau and Eldar are especially good at vaporizing marines from range. But they cringe at the thought of any of your troops making it to their lines....
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would set them up like this:

commander power sword, jump pack, bolt pistol, T honors
    Dreadnought
    10 man tac squad with flamer, sarg with powerfist
    in rhino
    6 man tac squad with missle launcher and plasmagun
    5 man assault squad with 2 plasma pistols, sarg with powerfist
    that's about 750 pts

All you need to do is swap the plasma pistol arm/hand from your commander with a bolt pistol arm from an assault marine. And beg, steal, or borrow another power fist.
    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread