Newbie list. [1500] Does it work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Newbie list. [1500] Does it work?

I'm thinking of starting a new army.

I'm building this solely because I like the theme and I look forward to building the models.

I don't want any sisters and will build the guard looking like raving maniacs.

Basiacally it's supposed to be an Inquisitor and his entourage.

Allthough I'm building them to look good I do want them to be able to win at least once in a while. So comments on the efficiency of list would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord (HQ)
    Inferno Pistol (x1); Force weapon (x1)
    Rosarius
    Frag Grenades
    #Word of the Emperor
    #Divine Pronouncement
    3 Acolyte
    Laspistol (free); Power Weapon
    2 Chirurgeon
    Laspistol (free); CCW (free)
    1 Familiar
    CC Weapon (x2)
    3 Crusader
    Suppression Shield; Power Weapon; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

6 Arco-flagellants (Elites)

1 Callidus Assassin (Elites)
    Callidus Temple; C'tan Phase Sword; Neural Shredder; Polymorphine; Poison
    Blades

3 Death Cult Assasins (Elites)
    Close Combat Weapon; Power Weapon

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops)
    Hell Gun (x7); Plasma Gun (x2); Frag Grenades
    1 Priest (HQ)
    Commander: Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops); Eviscerator; Las Pistol

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops)
    1 Priest (HQ)
    Commander: Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops); Eviscerator; Las Pistol

Inducted Guard - Infantry Platoon (Troops)

3 Command Squad
    Lascannon; Lasguns
    1 Junior Officer
    1 Veteran
    Lasgun; Medic
    9 Infantry Squad
    Autocannon; Lasguns
    1 Sergeant
    Lasgun
    9 Infantry Squad
    Lascannon; Lasguns
    1 Sergeant
    Lasgun
    9 Infantry Squad
    Lascannon; Lasguns
    1 Sergeant
    Lasgun

Orbital Strike (Heavy Support)
    Lance strike

Ikterus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

This is a themed list rather than a competitive one. I can't make an assessment on theme as that is personal and subjective. Instead I'll run an assessment from the more objective stance of competitiveness.

HQ
    This is a real power weapon heavy unit. Unfortunately it is also rather fragile, especially to shooting and to assault troops with decent toughness (like assault marines). Without transport it is also painfully slow and I can see it getting gunned down long before it gets into combat with anyone it might want to kill.

Elite
    The Arco-flags are a much more potent power weapon unit. They are the ones that will really shred enemy units.

The various assassins are further compounding a problem with this army. Small, fragile, expensive units, vulnerable to shooting, and often non-scoring. You can get away with one or maybe two such units but so far you have three, making up to getting on to half your points already.

Troops
    The priests add nothing to the stormtrooper squads. No matter what you do I can tell you now that stormtroopers can't beat anybody in close combat. The priest will simply severely interfere with their shooting by preventing them from rapid-firing in favour of charging into assault, where they will be minced. A couple of evisc swings will make no real difference. Add to this their lack of range and mobility and these units won't accomplish much.

The guard platoon is a bit more solid. Unfortunately it doesn't pack all that much firepower as it only has three heavy weapons, at the guards mediocre BS. It also lacks morale enhancing officers which means that when an opponent hits it it will simply crumple due to failed morale checks.

Heavy Support
    The orbital strike is a very mission specific sort of choice. They work best when there is a location on the board that your enemy really wants to occupy and you don't. I don't like them for pick-up games but you may find a use for them in scenario games.

Overall this list is quite fluffy as an Inquisitor with his accompanying retinue, assassins, Inquisitorial troops, guardsmen and wildly exhorting priests, but I wouldn't give much for its chances against a more purely competitive list. Use it for scenario games where your opponent is taking an equally heavily themed army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by hs5ias View Post
    Overall this list is quite fluffy as an Inquisitor with his accompanying retinue, assassins, Inquisitorial troops, guardsmen and wildly exhorting priests, but I wouldn't give much for its chances against a more purely competitive list. Use it for scenario games where your opponent is taking an equally heavily themed army.
    Thaks for the great answer.

You understand what I'm aiming at.

What changes would you like me to do to the list?

The Inquisitor is just over 300 pts and thus very expensive. I thought that the dual acolytes and chirugeons would ensure that he would reach CC but anyway you look at it it's a lot of eggs in one basket.

The elite choices I really like on paper. I think they are very fluffy and hoped that they could work in unison and accomplish something, but maybe I have to rethink that?

What to do with the troop choices? I have no idea... Please help me!
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Ok. I'm going to go through them a bit like hs5ias did, except in far less detail. I've put a lot of thought into this type of list in the past so I have a few ideas that might help. Keep in mind that this is not what I'm suggesting you do, but rather, what I would do if I were trying to turn this into a competitive list.

HQ

Make your inquisitor retinue a shooty one. You should be able to do this without violating any of your fluff. In my opinion CC inquisitor retinues are simply garbage compared the points they cost.

Elites

This is all fine. I'd change the callidus assassin into an eversor, but that's just personal preference. The callidus has abilities that can really help a list like this.

Troops

Now here's where it gets tricky. You need the stortroopers to keep it fluffy, and you need the priest in order to get the arco-flaggelants. What I'd do is make one squad 10 strong with no priest, Hellguns and plasma guns.

The other unit I would arm with shotguns, 2x meltaguns and a priest. Stick them in a chimera maybe as well so you can get them into position. Makes it a bit risky though, seeing that it would be your only tank.

Heavy Support

Well I'd pretty much just get rid of the orbital bombardment (which I've never been a fan of) and use the points elsewhere in the list.
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a terrible list but I have a few suggestions ...
    Make your inquisitor retinue a shooty one. You should be able to do this without violating any of your fluff. In my opinion CC inquisitor retinues are simply garbage compared the points they cost.
    Yep. Three HB sevitors or a plasma gun if adventurous. Your option is top play Karamazov alone ( I use him ) as a spearhead ... more later on this.

This is all fine. I'd change the callidus assassin into an eversor, but that's just personal preference. The callidus has abilities that can really help a list like this.
    Actually it is not even for a fluffy list. Too many points will be lost here. I do not mind arcos but with no mobile cover - tanks or penitent engines - do not expect them to make it into combat. Death cult assassins disappoint more often then not. I do like the Callidus though.

You need the stortroopers to keep it fluffy, and you need the priest in order to get the arco-flaggelants.
    True on both counts however you could take only one smaller squad of stormies ( maybe seven with vet ) and those plasmas. Then get a squad of twenty zealots ( add priest ) with a couple grenade launchers and three evicerators. This squad will do much more then you might expect. Now if you took Karamazov you can use his ability with this squad. I play this configuration often.

Well I'd pretty much just get rid of the orbital bombardment
    Agreed and its all that fluffy in this list either. If you want fluff take two or three penitent engines ... only one has to hit their lines to wreak havoc - or take a proper tank. Otherwise take nothing as your inducted guard have some nice anti-tank potential. I personally use two HQs ( a jump pack cannoness is my second HQ ) and seraphim for anti-tank but you are avoiding sisters ( too bad as an exorcist is one of the best tanks out there, btw ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

You've given me a lot to think about. I do have a few questions though.

The shooty Inq. What do you give him?

*Three HB servitors maybe one Plasma Cannon. Thats fine, but what weapon do you give to the Inq himself? Stormbolter with Psycannon bolts? And what about sages, acolytes and chirgurgeons?

*I've realised that there is a unit called Zealots (found it in WD) and I absolutely love it! One unit with a priest will absolutely be included! Eviscarators too offcourse. But I dont know about grenade launchers... they are assault weapons but are they really useful?

*Tips needed about the elite choices. I see them as a fluffy way of dealing out a lot of pain in CC. I've bought six arcos but I dont have to use them all offcourse... I already have the callidus assassin and have had a crush on her ever since she was introduced in 3d ed a long time ago. Haven't played her in 4th ed though. I like the apperance and fluff in the cult assassins...
    So what to do? Skip the DC ass and use 2 units of arcos instead?

*three penitent engines cost alot of money but thats my only objection...

New list coming up.
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

* For the shooty inquisitor a stormbolter is pretty much the only option. Psycannon bolts are alright but I usually skip them in favor bolstering other parts of my army, still if you're going to get a sage or two you might as well take them in order to benefit from the BS5. My inquisitor lord and retinue usually looks like this...

Inquisitor Lord w/ Storm Bolter and Auspex
    Sage x 2
    Chirurgeon
    Gun Servitor w/ Heavy Bolter
    Gun Servitor w/ Heavy Bolter
    Gun Servitor w/ Plasma Cannon

184 points

*I don't know anything about zealots, never seen them, never used them. But I've heard a lot of good things.

*As for your elites. Well, bebe makes a good point about the arcos, they're pretty fragile even before you take into account them killing themselves. I do however disagree about the death cult assassins. I remember someone wrote an awesome tactica for them which completely opened my eyes. They truly are a bargain if used properly. In fact you may want to drop both the priest and the arcos in favor of getting more death cult assassins. If this is a fluffy list though, then a squad of penitents engines and a squad of arco-flagellants could be hard to go past.

edit: haha found it! DCA Tactica, just scroll down a little to you get to it...

Bell of Lost Souls
    Last edited by Xiahou Dun; June 19th, 2007 at 17:31.
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

New list. Better?

1 Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord (HQ) @ 195 Pts
    CC Weapon (x1); Storm Bolter
    Psycannon bolts
    #Word of the Emperor

2 Chirurgeon

2 Sage

3 Heavy Bolter Servitor

6 Arco-flagellants (Elites) @ 210 Pts

1 Callidus Assassin (Elites) @ 120 Pts
    Callidus Temple; C'tan Phase Sword; Neural Shredder; Polymorphine; Poison
    Blades

3 Death Cult Assasins (Elites) @ 120 Pts
    Close Combat Weapon; Power Weapon

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 110 Pts

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 110 Pts

0 Inducted Guard - Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 351 Pts

3 Command Squad @ [76] Pts
    Lascannon; Lasguns (x2)

1 Junior Officer

1 Medic

9 Infantry Squad #1 @ [85] Pts
    Lascannon; Lasguns

1 Sergeant
    Lasgun

9 Infantry Squad @ [95] Pts
    Lascannon; Lasguns; Plasma Gun

1 Sergeant
    Lasgun

9 Infantry Squad @ [95] Pts
    Lascannon; Lasguns; Plasma Gun

1 Sergeant
    Lasgun

1 Priest (HQ) @ 65 Pts
    Commander: None; Eviscerator; Las Pistol

17 Zealots (Troops) @ 170 Pts
    Mob Weapons (x15); Grenade Launcher (x2)

3 Fanatics
    Eviscerator

Models in Army: 92

Total Army Cost: 1451
    Ikterus

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Perhaps this is irrelevant minutae, but there is no rules reason to pay for a CCW on the inquisitor lord. He is functionally identical hitting things with the biggest greatsword you can find on the most outrageous fantasy model, or hitting them with his bare hand. This would make your list an even 1500, which is important to some people =).

+ Reply to Thread