Space Marine 400pts Combat Patrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine 400pts Combat Patrol

Greetings!

Quite new to the game & would like some advice! I have only played one game with a friends Grey Knights. I really enjoyed the game and learning the vast amount of rules! I was thinking of building a Grey Knights army but after playing with them I don't think they are for me. I really like their "fluff" and the models are very nice but the way the play is not for me.

Like many it seems I was drawn to 40k by the Space Marines, but after looking over all the different armies out there the Grey Knights looked the best. After playing them I have realized looks are not everything.

Tonight I will be playing with the Space Marines in a combat patrol with some friends models. The game shop players are very nice and will let new comers like myself use their models. So I basicly get to build 400pts of whatever I want.

It seems Land Speeder Tornados are a very powerful unit and more geared to my playing style, fast, hard hitting, but maybe a little fragile! I also like tanks as well so I definately want to a Rhino in the patrol.

A list that I have been brewing up is as follows:

3 Land Speeder Tornados = 240 pts
    This will be the main punch of the patrol!

Tactical Squad
    Space Marines x7 = 105 pts

Rhino = 50 pts

Coming in at 395 pts this is a vehicle centered patrol, which I feel maybe more my own personal playing style, fast and hard hitting!

Now I'm new so if anyone sees some big error that I'm ignorant to please let me know!

Also I don't know if I have to take a Sergaent in the Tactical squad? I have only read in the Codex once so I don't quite have a concrete understanding of all things yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have to have a sergeant, but he can be a normal marine w/ a bolter. i have to say, nice list. this list will probably beat most infantry heavy armies with the land speeders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is if a play it right! People at my shop tend to think that Land Speeders are pretty weak, that is they die easy. I am thinkings even though they die easy they pack a big punch!

You don't think I have too many do you? Three at 400 pts is over half the patrol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Well, this patrol is better against some than against others. All those HB shots and Assault cannon shots are by and large going to bounce off of powered armor. They'll force enough saves to cause a decent number of casualties, but not enough to seriously damage a SM force (or CSM force) in one turn. Then your 3 land speeders will either go down or be debilitated by the return fire.

Each land speeder that goes down or is "stunned" for a turn is a large portion of your patrol's combat power that is now out of action. You'll start to feel the increasing impact with each speeder you lose. You've only got three, and there's a good bet that a decent player can take at least 2 of those out of action each turn (either destroyed or shaken/stunned). Remember that even bolters can glance on a 6. Heavier weapons have a much easier time.

I think Rhinos are great for mobility (which is very important) and even though you cannot assault from them directly, you can still dismount and shoot in the same turn. Since bolters can now rapid fire, I think it's an interesting tactic that shouldn't be too hard to pull off, especially with smoke launchers, extra armor, and a little bit of smart maneuvering around (or through!) some cover. Marines are tough enough to absorb a charge and still win a combat against most other armies' basic troops, so I'd think your mounted tac squad is a good core unit.

Limit yourself to one speeder and see if you can keep it alive and make it effective. Use the other 160 points or so on another tactical squad and get a couple of heavy or special weapons for them. Maybe upgrade one of your sgts to a veteran and gear him for assault. Then you'll have some flexibility in your force, along with a bit more staying-power.

The good thing about combat patrol games is you can try lots of things and get experience in a hurry because you can play several games in one sitting! Good luck.
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Remember to post army lists in the army list section.

Thread moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    Remember to post army lists in the army list section.

Thread moved.
    Sorry about that! Thanks for the correction!

I didn't get to play the list tonight But I think wensday I will

I know I will definately be able to try a one speeder list wensday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have discovered a new unit, bikes! They seem to be a unit I could have a lot of fun with. So I'm thinking of working them into my patrol.

How would this fair:

Tactical Squad x6 = 90 pts
    Rhino Transport = 50 pts

Bike squad(Sarg & 2 other bikers) = 96 pts

Land Speeder Tornado = 80 pts

Land Speeder Tornado = 80 pts

Well probably not the most competitive list but I think it would teach me a lot about maneuvering in 40k.

I figure that I could use the bikes to tie up the unit that would give my Land Speeders the most trouble then sneek the Rhino with the marines in and lay on some rapid fire.

Wensday will be the day I get to try it out.

+ Reply to Thread