2000 Ultramarines, tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

2000 Ultramarines, tourney

I know this is short notice, I have a tournament in the morning. Pick apart this list please. I am considering dropping the librarian I have for Tigurius. I have the model and he is really strong, but he has no invulnerable save. This bike is pretty spendy, but I thought I might try it out. I've never run a character on a bike before...

Librarian; 220 points
    Iron Halo, Plasma Pistol, Veil of Time, Fear of the Darkness, space marine bike

Reclusiarch; 136 points
    Terminator Honors, Plasma Pistol, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack

ELITE 170 points
    Venerable Dread, TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, extra armor, tank hunter

TROOPS

7 Scouts, 6 sniper rifles, 1 heavy bolter 144 points
    1 Scout Sgt with Sniper Rifle

Tactical Squad-1 230 points
    9 marines, melta gun, frag grenades,
    Sgt with power fist, bolt pistol
    Drop Pod

Tactical Squad-2 243 points
    8 marines, frag grenades, melta gun, multi-melta
    Sgt with Power first, bolt pistol
    Rhino, extra armor, searchlight, smoke

Tactical Squad-3 243 points
    8 marines, frag grenades, heavy bolter, melta gun

FAST ATTACK 238 points
    8 Assault Marines, 2 plasma pistol
    Sgt with Power fist and bolt pistol

Landspeeder AC/BH 80 points

Landspeeder AC/HB 80 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Devastator Squad 200 points
    7 marines, 4 missile launchers
    Sgt with Bolter

Total list 1997 points

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

I was hoping to get some comments on this. The tourney is over and I had my worst performance in a tournament ever as far as W/L/D. On the other hand, I did have a fantastic time anyway. THe scenarios were all special, and 2 were night fights. I had two losses and a draw. I am not sure I would blame this on my list, just the scenarios and in my second loss, my dice in rolling for reserves...

I liked the librarian on the bike. He worked out great!

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I liked the librarian on the bike. He worked out great!
    Ok, but this is probably the reason your performance was so low.

I think you also forgot to list terminator honours, although it appears you've paid the points for it.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Devastator Squad 200 points
    7 marines, 4 missile launchers
    Sgt with Bolter
    Did you upgrade the sergeant, or is this an 8 man squad?

I'll assume 8 man, if so, perfect.

FAST ATTACK 238 points
    8 Assault Marines, 2 plasma pistol
    Sgt with Power fist and bolt pistol
    close combat squads should be run at 8 or 10 models, this gives you the most favorable victory points situation. Example, a 9 man squad losses 5 marines, they are no longer a scoring units, a 10 man squad losses 5 marines, and the opponent learns no victory points.

Excluding HQs, up to now, your list has been pretty solid.
    However, the next section has lots of problems.

7 Scouts, 6 sniper rifles, 1 heavy bolter 144 points
    1 Scout Sgt with Sniper Rifle
    What are sniper rifles good at killing? Nothing; except ultra high toughness models, thus 6+ toughness. Thereby making a heavy bolter a very poor combination to use with sniper rifles. A Missile launcher would be better.

However, sniper scouts are expensive, and not very good at killing most things. I probably wouldn't use this unit. If you want a unit to infiltrate, say to pick up an objective, use veterans. You can then place them close enough to the enemy to get into bolter range, or use them for close combat.

3+ saves makes a huge difference. Remember a scout with sniper is the same cost as a veteran.

Tactical Squad-1 230 points
    9 marines, melta gun, frag grenades,
    Sgt with power fist, bolt pistol
    Drop Pod
    Drop podding does not lend itself well to jumping into assault. Nor do drop pods work well as single squads - somethings dreadnoughts can pull it off - basically, add more drop pods, or remove this one.

If you drop pod use 4 or more.

Tactical Squad-2 243 points
    8 marines, frag grenades, melta gun, multi-melta

Tactical Squad-3 243 points
    8 marines, frag grenades, heavy bolter, melta gun
    I believe multi-meltas are more expensive then heavy bolters, so I'm confused as to how these squads are the same point cost.

Hopefully you've seen enough of my posts to know these squads are exceptionally ineffective. Unless your models are equipped with a bolt pistol and Close combat weapon, don't give them frags.

The rhinos very expensive, thousands of pages has been written about how bad rhinos are. Unless playing DAs/BAs avoid their use, with the Exception of a Mechanized marine force, rhinos will almost always fail you, in competitive play.

ELITE 170 points
    Venerable Dread, TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, extra armor, tank hunter
    This works pretty good, but it still cant crack a falcon. Just keep that in mind. I assume you'll likely see lots of eldar lists in the feature.
    Librarian; 220 points
    Iron Halo, Plasma Pistol, Veil of Time, Fear of the Darkness, space marine bike

Reclusiarch; 136 points
    Terminator Honors, Plasma Pistol, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack
    Read the HQ tactica, its by me, so its the same information, I go over uses and tactics, as well as wargear. It could also help your overall tactics - obviously I cant help you directly with tactics, as we cant play each other.

Peace

EDIT: also if your feeling like taking a list like the one above, you should at least make sure it gives you a good comp score, which this list probably wouldn't score all that highly in, although every tourney has different rules.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    What are sniper rifles good at killing? Nothing; except ultra high toughness models, thus 6+ toughness. Thereby making a heavy bolter a very poor combination to use with sniper rifles. A Missile launcher would be better.

However, sniper scouts are expensive, and not very good at killing most things. I probably wouldn't use this unit. If you want a unit to infiltrate, say to pick up an objective, use veterans. You can then place them close enough to the enemy to get into bolter range, or use them for close combat.

3+ saves makes a huge difference. Remember a scout with sniper is the same cost as a veteran.
    All excellent points about the scouts. Very well thought out, unlike how I put them in there! :-D

I believe multi-meltas are more expensive then heavy bolters, so I'm confused as to how these squads are the same point cost.
    I probably just mistyped it when I made my post. I did not double check the math for my post...I also noticed that while at the tourney.

Read the HQ tactica, its by me, so its the same information, I go over uses and tactics, as well as wargear. It could also help your overall tactics - obviously I cant help you directly with tactics, as we cant play each other.
    I will read that. I will probably read it many times...

Peace

also if your feeling like taking a list like the one above, you should at least make sure it gives you a good comp score, which this list probably wouldn't score all that highly in, although every tourney has different rules.
    I actually got excellent comp ratings from my opponents! YAY

Thanks for the time you took to analyze and comment. I REALLY appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread