1500 Point Balanced Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Point Balanced Army

I mainly play a mechanized army, but one of my friends always takes a completely anti-tank force when I play him. He plays Blood Angels and always destroys me, of course, because he uses virtually exclusively anti-tank. Anyway, I decided to change my army to a more balanced type, and would appreciate your input. I need to pick doctrines still, and any advice would be appreciated.

1500 Point Infantry Army
    Junior Officer – Honorifica Imperialis, Master-Crafted Storm Bolter
    Guards have Autocannon, Master-Vox, and Veteran Medic

Special Weapons Squad – Meltagun, Flamer, Grenade Launcher
    Anti-Tank Squad – 3 Lascannons
    Mortar Squad

Infantry Squad – Flamer, Grenade Launcher, Frag Grenades
    Infantry Squad – Lascannon, 2 Meltaguns, Krak Grenades
    Junior Officer – Power Weapon
    Guards have Missile Launcher, Meltagun, and Veteran Medic

Armored Fist Squad – Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades
    Sergeant has a Laspistol and Close Combat Weapon
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Hunter Killer Missile

5 Ogryns
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer

3 Sentinels – Heavy Flamers

Leman Russ Battle Tank – Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Hunter Killer Missile

Basilisk – Indirect Fire

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY
    STOP
    no honorifica imperialis!!!!!
    one of the main assets of the imperials guard is that they can have a lot of soldiers in their army. So throw that shiny honorifica away and get more infantry squads

and then youll be able to your foes to death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, you need help, badly. You have a few things that are illegal in this list and more things that make no sense to take.

To start off, guard are not good at multi-tasking. You need to pick a roll that everything plays, kit it out as well as you can to fit that roll and not waste points on anything that doesn't fit its purpose.

So throw that shiny honorifica away and get more infantry squads
    First of all ignor this advice. The extra leadership point is really important, especially on a vox command squad. The entire army is depending on the leadership of this officer so you want him to be as good as he can be.

Junior Officer – Honorifica Imperialis, Master-Crafted Storm Bolter
    Guards have Autocannon, Master-Vox, and Veteran Medic
    Ok, this is the backbone leadership of the army, it is not a combat squad.
    A storm bolter would be a waste of points, but a master-crafted one is way over the edge. That thing costs 4x as much as a regular storm bolter and is nowhere near 4x as good. It's maybe as much as 50% better.
    The autocannon is not a bad choice for this squad and would proably serve you well, however this squad has to stay alive to keep the leadership of the army up. Therefore you will be hiding him out of Line of sight. The ideal heavy weapon here would be a mortar because it doesn't need line of sight.
    While the medic is nice to have, it's not worth the points. Drop it.

Special Weapons Squad – Meltagun, Flamer, Grenade Launcher
    Ok, no. This squad costs 71 points. Are you honestly going to send 71 points at a tank with only 1 melta gun to do the job? Your best choice here would be 3 grenade launchers. Again we get back to not multi-tasking the guard. Also remember that 1 of anything will not do crap with the guard.

Anti-Tank Squad – 3 Lascannons
    Nothing to complain about here. See if you can find the doctrine and the points to get sharpshooters.

Mortar Squad
    Switch this for a fire support squad with 3 heavy bolters. They will produce much better. Also while your at it, look at getting sharpshooters to go with the heavy bolters.

Infantry Squad – Flamer, Grenade Launcher, Frag Grenades
    Infantry Squad – Lascannon, 2 Meltaguns, Krak Grenades
    Infantry squads are only allowed to take 1 special weapon each, so the flamer and grenade laucnher together are illegal and so are the 2 melta guns. Frag and krak grenades are a waste of points, drop them. Melta guns and lascannons dont mix. They may both be good anti tank, but the melta gun needs to get within 6" to be truly productive, but the lascannon cannot move and fire at the same time. A tank is not going to nicely drive right up to the melta gun, so no matter what 1 of the 2 will be wasted.

Armored Fist Squad – Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Hunter Killer Missile
    Drop the frag grenades and the hunter killer missile. Get smoke launchers on the chimera.

5 Ogryns
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer
    Not a common choice because these models are expensive to buy, but mechanized is the way to take them. Switch the heavy flamer for a heavy bolter, add extra armour and smoke launchers to the chimera and this squad is good to go.

3 Sentinels – Heavy Flamers
    Dont take heavy flamers here. I would split these up into 3 independant sentinels, since you get 3 fast attack selections. Then try equiping 1 with a multilaser, 1 with an autocannon and 1 with a lascannon and see which one you like best.

Leman Russ Battle Tank – Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Hunter Killer Missile
    A sturdy choice, but the hunter killer missile is not worth the points. Take it off, add extra armour and smoke launchers and this tank is good to go.

Basilisk – Indirect Fire
    Glad to see this thing is properly equiped, indirect fire and nothing else. The only problem is that big 36" blind area for the indirect fire. I find that the basilisk is a get 2 or get none sort of tank. With 2 you can put them in opposite corners and cover eachother's blind areas.

So go over the list again, make some changes and re-post and see if you get more advice.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Army lists go in the Army Lists subforum, too. Post there in the future. Thread moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised List

I made most of the changes listed above, but kept my Medic, just because those 11 points have saved me dozens of times. Anyway, I would appreciate any more advice.

1500 Point Infantry Army
    Sharpshooters – Anti-tank Squad, Sharpshooters – Fire Support Squad, Drop Troops, Ogryns, Sharpshooters – Special Weapons Squad

Junior Officer – Honorifica Imperialis, Storm Bolter, Power Weapon, Krak Grenades 65
    Guards have Mortar, Master-Vox, Veteran Medic 35

Special Weapons Squad – 3 Grenade Launchers 71
    Anti-Tank Squad – 3 Lascannons 110
    Fire Support Squad – 3 Heavy Bolters 80
    Sentinel – Lascannon 60

Infantry Squad – Lascannon 85
    Infantry Squad –2 Meltaguns 80
    Junior Officer – Power Weapon 45
    Guards have Missile Launcher 15

Armored Fist Squad – Plasma Gun 70
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers 98

5 Ogryns 125
    Mounted in Chimera – Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor 95

Sentinel – Heavy Flamer 40
    Sentinel – Autocannon 50

Sentinel – Multi-Laser 45

Leman Russ Battle Tank – Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers 178

Basilisk – Indirect Fire 125

Total - 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharpshooters – Anti-tank Squad, Sharpshooters – Fire Support Squad, Drop Troops, Ogryns, Sharpshooters – Special Weapons Squad
    I honestly have no idea what you are trying to tell me here. This looks like a doctrine list, but anti-tank squads and fire support squads are not doctrines. You clearly dont have sharpshooters on the support squads because you have not added the point costs.
    Junior Officer – Honorifica Imperialis, Storm Bolter, Power Weapon, Krak Grenades 65
    Guards have Mortar, Master-Vox, Veteran Medic 35
    There is one problem here with the master vox, who is he talking to on his nice handy vox operator? Nobody else in the army has a vox caster. The squads have to be kitted out with their own vox caster to get the benefit here. Krak grenades are not worth it. This squad hides out of LOS, provides LD and indirect fire, it doesnt assault.
    Special Weapons Squad – 3 Grenade Launchers 71
    Anti-Tank Squad – 3 Lascannons 110
    Fire Support Squad – 3 Heavy Bolters 80
    Sentinel – Lascannon 60
    A good mix of fire support. Glad to see the spec squad has 3 GLs now, much better. I also like the sentinels. That will give you a better idea of which pattern you like most.
    Infantry Squad – Lascannon 85
    Infantry Squad –2 Meltaguns 80

Armored Fist Squad – Plasma Gun 70
    Again, troop squads cannot take 2 special weapons. Besides, these would be better put in the chimea squad. All you have to do is move one melta gun to the armoured fist squad and this is legal. If you want lots of special weapons in your squads than you need either storm troopers, veterans, special weapons squads or command squads tooled out with special weapons.
    5 Ogryns 125
    Smoke launchers! Nice and cheep, good in a pinch.
    Leman Russ Battle Tank – Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers 178

You have a fair bit of anti tank in the troops. Switch the lascannon on the hull mount for a heavy bolter. This will free up 10 of the 15 points you need to get those vox casters.

Summary of recommended changes:
    Take krak grenades out of command squad, switch leman lascannon for heavy bolter, 20 points saved.
    Add the vox casters to the 3 troop squads and add smoke launchers to the ogryn chimera, 18 points of upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more time

ok, i made most of those changes
    the list at the top was doctrines, i just hadnt put the cost with the actual unit, i had left it separate, but now i've added it on

1500 Point Balanced Army

Junior Officer – Honorifica Imperialis, Storm Bolter, Power Weapon 75
    Guards have Mortar, Master-Vox, Veteran Medic 46

Special Weapons Squad – 3 Grenade Launchers 91
    Anti-Tank Squad – 3 Lascannons 130
    Fire Support Squad – 3 Heavy Bolters 100
    Sentinel – Lascannon 55

Infantry Squad – Lascannon, Vox-Caster 90
    Infantry Squad –Meltagun, Vox-Caster 75

Armored Fist Squad – Plasma Gun, Vox-Caster 75

5 Ogryns 125

Sentinel – Autocannon 50

Sentinel – Multi-Laser 45

Leman Russ Battle Tank – Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters Sponsons, Extra Armor 165

Extra Armor Bond Style: Shaken, Not Stunned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps

i didnt think smoke launchers were worth it because i was tight on points and i had to cut something if you can see a way for me to put them back in, that'd be great
    Extra Armor Bond Style: Shaken, Not Stunned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good enough, play it a few times and see what works and what doesnt.

+ Reply to Thread