750pts tourny black templars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750pts tourny black templars

there is a tourny on next weekend at my local gaming ground and it is 750 points. i've used this list before and it works well. hoping for any advice that could help improve this list. i'm probably going to come up against marines, chaos, tau, possibly another black templar army and tyranids.

HQ-
    emperors champion- 100pts
    with uphold the honour of the emperor though this may change depending on what force i'm versing.

Troops-
    16 man crusade squad- 233pts
    8 neophytes armed with CCW and Bolt pistols
    6 initiates armed with CCW and bolt pistols
    1 initiate armed with melta gun
    1 initiate armed with power fist and bolt pistol

16 man crusade squad- 233pts
    8 neophytes armed with CCW and Bolt pistols
    6 initiates armed with CCW and bolt pistols
    1 initiate armed with melta gun
    1 initiate armed with power fist and bolt pistol
    (the EC will join one of the squads)

Fast attack-
    land speeder- 75pts
    armed with melta gun and heavy flamer.

Heavy support-
    predator destructor- 110pts
    armed with turret mounted auto cannon and side sponson heavy bolters.

advice and criticism welcome

Last edited by grimaldus53; July 8th, 2007 at 04:00. Reason: wrong points cost for the EC
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your group let you count the champ as an HQ choice?

With regards to your troops, they both have 8 initiates and 8 neophytes. Drop a few neophytes and increase the initiates so AP4 guns don't cut them down.
    Black Templar (3000)
    Imperial Guard (1500 and growing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The EC doesn't use up a slot on your force organization chart but is still counted as a HQ choice. in the codex it says that the EC doesn't use up a HQ slot on your force organization chart so you MAY still chose your 2 HQ choices as usual not so you have to chose your HQ units as usual. so the EC as my only HQ choice is legal.

as for the crusade squads i've dropped 2 neophytes and added 1 more initiate to each squad. they're now 15 each with 7 neophytes and 9 initiates though i think that they're now less powerful as they have 1 less warrior to each squad meaning less attacks when they get combat.

more advice and criticism appreciated.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by grimaldus53 View Post
    The EC doesn't use up a slot on your force organization chart but is still counted as a HQ choice. in the codex it says that the EC doesn't use up a HQ slot on your force organization chart so you MAY still chose your 2 HQ choices as usual not so you have to chose your HQ units as usual. so the EC as my only HQ choice is legal.
    I'm not entirley sure you are right here. It isn't clarified in the FAQ so I'm not sure, but the way I interpreted this was that the Emperor's Champion does not take up a HQ choice for any purposes, therefore he cannot be treated as your mandatory HQ.

I can't find anywhere that indicates he still counts as a HQ choice for the purposes of validation, and I'm not quite sure the word 'may' can be streched to mean that. I think it simply means that he dosen't stop you from filling both your HQ choices as normal.

However, if you drop your list to 749 you aren't forced to take an Emperor's Champion anyway. I know he is an excellent character, but a Chaplin is always useful in big Crusader squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a Chaplin would probably work but i'm pretty sure you can use the EC as only HQ. if you look at the games workshop website and go to BT page it has a core army list provided, at least in the au page. it's only HQ choice is the EC so i'm going off that.

i might start a topic on this cause we might actually get some answers from some of the other BT players.

also please keep giving advice and or criticism on this list as every bit can help.
    Last edited by grimaldus53; July 9th, 2007 at 01:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grimaldus53 View Post
    as for the crusade squads i've dropped 2 neophytes and added 1 more initiate to each squad. they're now 15 each with 7 neophytes and 9 initiates though i think that they're now less powerful as they have 1 less warrior to each squad meaning less attacks when they get combat.
    There is one less guy, yes, however their survivability is better as you'll be rolling 3+ for armor saves instead of 4+.
    Black Templar (3000)
    Imperial Guard (1500 and growing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see your point. i'm going to keep using the EC until i know for sure that i can't mainly because i manage to cause so much damage with it. also i'll be testing these changes today and making more changes where necessary.

more advice/criticism welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright i've manged to get the list down to 749pts and replaced the EC with a chap so it's now legal.

the chap has termi honours, bolt pistol, frags, melta bombs. he is basic but suits his role well. he is a reclusiarch and cost total 117pts. i've also dropped two neophytes to make up points, 1 from each squad.

any advice to better improve this army please give and criticism is welcome to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Looks like a really solid list now grimaldus53, I don't think their is much I can say. I'm just starting templars myself and this looks like a really nice list to me.

One suggestion I would make is to give the Predator Extra Armour and smoke launchers, they are such useful upgrades. I know you are quite streched for points in this army, but I would at least scrape the points for Extra Armour. Perhaps the chaplin would be willing to donate his meltabomb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Xethemez. i think that extra armour would certainly help the predator stay alive so yeah i've dropped the melta bombs on the chaplin and gone with the extra armour.

if anyone still has more advice please let me hear it criticism is welcome to.

+ Reply to Thread