1500pt BT against mec tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt BT against mec tau

I realy need help as I'm the sort of person who puts way too much stuff on everything

I'm going up against a mec tau player who hides behind stuff with his suits and tanks so i can't shoot him.

Any advise would be good.

HQ:
    Emperors champ
    UTHOTE 100

Helbretch 175

ELITE:
    Dred
    Vunrable
    smokes
    extra armour
    tank hunter
    drop pod
    multi melta 183

Dred
    Vunrable
    smokes
    extra armour
    tank hunter
    drop pod
    multi melta 183

Dred
    Vunrable
    smokes
    extra armour
    tank hunter
    drop pod
    multi melta 183

TROOP:
    10x Initiate
    CCW
    melta
    multi melta
    drop pod 210

9x Initiate
    CCW
    melta
    multi melta
    drop pod 194

9x Initiate
    CCW
    melta
    multi melta
    drop pod 194

I have 78 points left but I don't know what to spend them on

Last edited by Trusty Gnoblar; July 8th, 2007 at 19:40.
    I'm Useless :D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Your list is illegal, if I remember correctly. The first thing is that you can only take one venerable, as far as I know. And dreads simply don't last long against the tau, even venerable ones. Also, Helbrecht doesn't make any sense here, as you aren't using his giant command-squad-of-death to your advantage. If I came across your list with my mech tau list in a tournament, I would be very happy.

So anyway, BTs really struggle against any mech army, so my advice is going to be a bit harsh for your list. I play both mech tau and BT, and I've found that the only chance you have against tau & their extremely mobile-shooty lists (crisis & vehicles) is to out-move one part of their army. In this case, crisis suits.

People always talk up drop pods agaisnt the tau, but I've found that they don't work too well most of the time. The role of the drop pod is to get your units to where they need to be, but the problem is that they can scatter off the board, or onto the wrong side of cover, limiting you to placing them in certain spots that the enemy can . A simple castle for the mech tau can really limit your choices of where to place your pods, and a bad scatter can mean that you don't get the shooting that you need to be effective. Then the castle scatters everywhere, and you're left with a few turns to weather the tau storm of fire and score VPs yourself. What's worse is when your army comes in sporadically. This gives the tau the opportunity to concentrate all of their fire against a single unit, or two, effectively destroying it. Plus, how do you get your EC into a drop pod? He just walks?

Back to crisis suits: the interesting thing about crisis suits is that, while they can move a whole bunch each turn, they are inherently tied to a piece of terrain, making them effectively stationary targets. To really mess with a tau player, you need something fast that can flush out that suit, or get it in CC. A suit out in the open is a dead suit (unless it is an IC). And once the crisis are crippled, you have the advantage over the tau. Therefore, two units come to mind right away: bikes and assault.

The bikes are good, but are expensive, and don't have the flexibility that jump troops have when it comes to difficult/dangerous terrain. They are faster than jump troops, but more expensive and more fragile. However, they can keep up with the tau tanks, and with 3 meltaguns, can kill tanks or crisis in a pinch. The goal here is to flush the crisis out from behind cover and weather their shooting with your invulnerable saves.

Assault squads are slightly cheaper alternative per model, with an effective 18" charge range. They can move through cover more safely than bikes, and can jump over it with ease. They can be decked out move effectively for CC and shooting (2 PP & 1 PF, w/ meltabombs if you want). The goal here is to get the Crisis into CC, and smash them with the PF.

So what I would run is a unit of assault marines (maybe bikes) to help flush out the tau, and maybe, if you're feeling lucky, two dropping dreads. They can get rear shots on the tau tanks, but you'll have to be careful as the tanks can hug the read of the board, and you're just asking to drop off of the table. A chaplain can help you control your RZ moves of a big squad, and the EC can go into another one for upped leadership. A couple of light skimmers w/HB & AC could help, too.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thaks for the advise y'he sha'is

sorry but this is a double post can it be deleted please
    I'm Useless :D

+ Reply to Thread