Librarium Online Forums banner

500 points Imperial Guard basic army

6K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  xDETHx Turtle 
#1 · (Edited)
hello there!

I am thinking about my first W40k army, and it will be the awesome IG.
The basic idea of this army is: build a line of fire, slaughter them before they get too close and if possible fall back to the next firing position.

this said, i want to starti with a 500p army both for financial reasons and because i need to learn the game before choosing a path for my guardsmen.
Ideally i would like, at the end to field a larger army centered on Lord castellan creed and his skills

My army list:
HQ:
CCS + vox = 55p

TROOPS:
1st platoon
PCS + vox 35p
Infantry squad + vox + Autocannon =65p
Infantry squad + vox + Autocannon =65p
Heavy weapons squad + Lasgun + Autocannon + Autocannon = 85 p
TOTAL 1st platoon 255points

2nd platoon
PCS+ vox = 35p
Infantry squad + vox + plasmagun 70 points
Infantry squad + vox + plasmagun 70 points
TOTAL 2nd platoon 175p

GRAND TOTAL 485p

i have 15p left to spend, and open to any suggestion!

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to remove the individual cost and just give a grand total for each unit as you are not allowed by GW to base point costs.

#3 ·
is that important at this point? i read more than once that somebody does not know the exact cost of each item... this is just to help the helpers... i do not need to show this list anywhere official :)

#4 ·
Yes you must remove the base costs otherwise LO will get in trouble
So this:
My army list:
HQ:
CCS +..vox = 55p

TROOPS:
1st platoon
PCS +..vox 35p
Infantry squad +..vox +..Autocannon =65p
Infantry squad +..vox +..Autocannon =65p
Heavy weapons squad +..Lasgun +..Autocannon +..Autocannon = 85 p
TOTAL 1st platoon 255points

2nd platoon
PCS+..vox = 35p
Infantry squad +..vox +..plasmagun 70 points
Infantry squad +..vox +..plasmagun 70 points
TOTAL 2nd platoon 175p

GRAND TOTAL 485p
i have 15p left to spend, and open to any suggestion!

Although your showing costs your not showing any base cost, which means people would still have to buy the codex to work out the cost of things.

You also shouldn't put the cost of anything unless you have added upgrades, so no Special charaters who go by themselves or a unit with no extra men or weapons

#9 ·
Plasma is expensive for BS 3 models. Grenade launchers might serve better for most uses.

The vox network is a waste. A standard in the CCS will be every bit as effective and save points. For additional points, a commissar in each blob might be a good idea.

You need special weapons in your PCS squads. Grenade Launchers of Flamers are recommended.

Your CCS could benefit from special weapons. I'd recommend grenade launchers or plasma here.

#10 ·
since i will be using orders very extensively, i supposed that the voxes are pretty fundamental (i don't think i will appreciate a fail on a First rank fire! Second rank fire! order with an enemy 12" far away :) ) and the regimental standard bearer isn't the same

I am noting down the suggestion about the grenade launchers! thank you!

#11 ·
FRFSRF is pretty minor tbh. You're more likely to pass it than fail, and if you fail it's only like half a wound to MEQs on average. Since your chance of passing the test is about 2/3 you can think of vox as being 1/6th of a wound. For 2x vox to make a network it hardly seems worth it. Ah and I'm still not factoring in you failing the second roll. Just get more and better special weapons. It's far better value for your points.

#12 ·
Yeah i understand that in a larger army (where there are tanks and arties) the infantry is pretty much a meatshield, but in a 500pt it is the one that have to carry out the damages as well. Maybe FRFSRF isn't a must, but the others orders can really help (in case of a tough vehichle or a strategic but hidden enemy)

anyway, without the voxes i will have 45 points to spare. What should i buy and where should i place it? :)

#14 ·
I'd bung a power fist onto your Commander
Voxes are good, I personally rate them, but not in every infantry squad.
You could think about combining squads - you'd only need one vox, only one order and they're pretty cheap.
Even make the infantry squads 1 x no, and a vet squad with grenade launchers etc as a tester

#15 ·
what do you think of this variation?

HQ:
CCS +lascannon+vox = 75p

TROOPS:
1st platoon
PCS +Lascannon+vox 55p
Infantry squad +vox +Lascannon =75p
Infantry squad +vox +Lascannon =75p
TOTAL 1st platoon 205points

2nd platoon
PCS+..vox = 35p
Infantry squad +vox +meltagun 65 points combined with
Infantry squad +meltagun 60 points;
Infantry squad +vox +flamer or grenade launcher 60p
TOTAL 2nd platoon 220p

TOTAL 500p

the first platoon holds the line while the second one is a little more mobile and tank-buster.

#17 ·
Heheh i need to buy it first :) that's why i am looking to fine-tuning it as much as possible before buying it for real cash :)

can anybody see any flaw in this setup? Remember it is a 500pts, and there is not much room for a mech support in that frame :)

#18 ·
Ok, I would highly recommend battalions over their component parts if you can. - It's £ 10.50 off the infantry alone, with the sentinal free.
Scrounge some meltas off a marine player (if you can, convert with grenade launcher arms = voila! easy, cheap meltaguns)

I would recommend A squad of vets (and the platoon squads) because:
1) they can have triple special weapons
2) they have BS4
3) the sgnt can do things like take a power fist etc
- either melta/fist to go forward or lascannon/vox/plasmagun for backfield duties
(The BS4 is great for theie insignificant in comparison extra cost)

and It really lets you model so nicely - e.g. If your main force is Cadians, maybe having catachan vets (and CCS as they have BS4 too !) is such a nice modelling oppertunity.
# I wouldn't recommend catachans as the main force as I'm not too fond of the models en masse - limited variety in poses e.g. sgnt arms.
p.s. just getting a few extra bases is great for helping a battalion square up to 500 / 750 points, or you're fixed to 3/6 heavy weapon teams (there's extra kneeling legs in the command squad / your HW "spotter can be standing, OR you can have kneeling men in the line squads)

but tell us how you get on !

#19 · (Edited)
do you think i should buy the GW "starter kit" of the imperial guard, or it isn't worth the cost?

so, first thing to add for hte 750pts threshold is a buffed vet squad, with a couple hydras.

#21 ·
yeah i know that 12" range is really short... how should i spend those few points saved on the melta?

for your information:
probability to fail an order without a vox: 41%
probability to fail an order WITH a vox: 17%
i think that the benefits are more than enough for the voxes' cost

#23 ·
It makes me laugh when you look at those box wets. All are about £50-£55 but the value of their contence ranges from about £70 to £100

#24 ·
It makes me cry to remenber 20 guardsmen - the very same ones used to be £ 18, and Heavy weapon teams were about £ 14. They all got "re-boxed" after the new dex came out and re-priced.
Oh, and it used to have a russ in the battalion / 2 sentinals. (and you got the "tank acessory sprue" free with every tank) - and the battalions were about £ 40 (moving up to £ 45, then creeping up a fiver a year until the new dex came out.
They went up so much Fleabay / Independants set up, and are now here to stay (just my view on it mind - there's much more to it than that but it doesn't help)

#26 ·
100% corrct, although a bit of converting is nice (or a nice excuse ) - even if it's just slap on catachan / command heads or arms or give them extra webbing etc
A different paint scheme will do nicely mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.