A return to 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A return to 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A return to 40k

Well it's been about a 5-6 years since I last played Warhammer 40k. I had a 2.5k Dark Eldar army and had about 2k space wolves (unfinished and mostly not even put together). But my life changed, got a job after college, and woosh I moved away. I didn't think I'd ever play again so I shipped off all my stuff to a buddy (who turned out to not be a buddy afterall). It was a lot of lost 40k assets that to this day I regret.

But I'm back. I have been tempted to pick back up with Space Wolves, but have also considered Sisters of Battle, CSM, and some alternate Space Marine Chapters. I'm still very torn, and since it's a fresh beginning I'm tempted to wait to see if the Space pups get a new codex sometime in the next 12 months.

I have an interest in the Ultramarines as well. For starters, there are so many wonderful looking models that don't fit in well with Space Wolves. It seems the space wolf models are looking dated, and what's worse is many of the unique models you can't even buy anymore. For example, the space wolf venerable dreadnought is no longer available. The 13th company is no longer available. Njal Stormcaller is no longer available. The wulfen from 13th company are no longer available. And I had most of these with the exception of the 13th company. I really hope there is some new life breathed into the wolves. I feel pressure to use 'the green stuff' for space wolves (as well as forge world) and I'm not sure if I'm up for that degree of modeling yet. It's been years like I said.

The ultramarines (romans in space) look very tempting. As a wolf player (vikings in space) I don't get access to some of the coolest models such the huge variety of librarions and chaplains. The chaplains are really neat. Assault marines are really neat. And although Calgar sucks (2 MC PF ftl) in combat, he is a really neat looking model along with his honor entourage. I briefly considered the blood angels, but something about them I don't like...not sure what it is. The same can be said of the Dark Angels. What I like about the Space Wolves is they basically ignore the codex astartes and do their own thing. They would have probably been branded heretics except for the fact they fight for the emperor so well. I've read the first space wolf book and liked it. I plan on reading the ultramarine omnibus soon.

When I consider Chaos Space marines, it's fun to be the bad guy but I think that is just a temporary thing for me. At the end of the day I like being the good guy. I did enjoy Dark Eldar, but they were not so twisted as the CSM. The CSM are willing to let chaos distort their bodies. The Dark Eldar are just sadists and pirates which sits ok with me somehow. I guess IMHO the Dark Eldar (for the most part) impart perversion on others whereas the CSM do it to themselves and anyone they come across. Nurgle is one of the bad guys you love to hate but gives me the creeps thinking about.

And as I mentioned the sisters of battle look interesting. They sound like quite a bit different type of army. I like how they can incorporate IG and SM into their armies. The models would be fun to paint and I don't see these armies much. But I dislike their lack of tanks. I'm not a big mechanized player, but I would like to be able to field a LR or LRC at some point in time.

So I'm all over the place. I'm reading a lot of the articles/threads here as well as at The bolter and chainsword site. I am reading 40k novels and playing the dawn of war and expansions et all whenever possible to get a better feel. And I'm anxiously awaiting the 5th edition because I'd like an army that has been updated more recently than what I see with the wolves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wow, that's quite the introduction!

Have you rolled around the 40K boards here yet? There's lots of gamers on the 40k side of things.

Oh yeah, Welcome to LO. ;Y
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Hi welcome to LO! and welcome back to the hobby, nice to have you back.

Im making tentative steps into a CSM force myself- and with the release of loads of nice new models they are very tempting. As far as your SM dilema goes why not make your own chapter? you could still use the Ultra's honour guard models and file off the insignia- then you could make them proper romans in space!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to LO. I generally just browse Bolter and Chainsword, and sometimes Dakka Dakka. But I stumbled across this site somehow and liked the variety of topics.

I apologize for the lengthy intro. There is a lot of excitement for me in returning, and I am so anxious to start painting and collecting. It's frustrating to not know exactly what I want, and yet know what I like. In some ways, it is easier to start 40k as a noob since you don't know anything. I picked up Dark Elder and ran with it.

I did consider a DIY chapter. That is tempting. If it wasn't for the fluff/lore about some of the IC I wouldn't mind. I know I could create my own, but it is just fascinating to read about Logan Grimnar, Ragnar, Marneus Calgar, etc and I feel very excited about it. If anything, the IC from the better known space marine chapters are what keeps me captivated. The same can be said about Abaddon for CSM. For me, 40k is just as much about the wonderful unique models as it is the tactics and actual game strategy.

Thanks for the replies. It is nice to be welcomed. 8Y

+ Reply to Thread