Just started with Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started with Imperial Guard

Just started with Imperial Guard and 40k, Ive got 40 shock troops, 1 leman russ, 3 heavy weapons teams and ive got a valkyrie coming on saturday along with the new codex. Think I need a command squad...what else do i need to make a legal army list.
    I'll be up against my lads to begin with, who play space marines so I need something that can stand up against a land raider etc. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Good Afternoon and welcome to the site! Good to have a fellow Guardsman onboard!

In terms of making a legal army, all you need is a HQ squad as far as I can tell to make the minimum one HQ and two Troop choice slots.

As for taking down a Land Raider, your Leman Russ should be fairly good at that, and any Lascannons you can take through your Valkyrie, HW teams and Russ.

Sorry I'm not much help in that respect as I havn't read much about the new codex, but there are plenty of folks around the boards who will be more than willing to help!

Enjoy your time on the forums and I look forward to seeing snaps of your Guard soon!

Paul

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Hello Michael! Welcome to the Librarium Online and to 40K in general! Now is a fine time to be a guardsman, congratulations on your army and that beautiful Valkyrie you will be getting! It sounds like with your tank and heavy weapon teams, you will have a fair shot at the Land Raider. Good luck!

Frankie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Good Luck and Welcome! or is it the other way around?

So we've got ourselves another guard player on here. That's always a good thing. Now you need 2 Troops cjoices and an HQ choice. For troops I advise you to use veterans so that you have a legal army from the start. This will take up 20 men, now if you use the tank commander as an officer you have an HQ choice too.

Here's an example force using the new codex to help ou out from the get go

HQ
    Comp Cmd Sqd Comp Cmdr laspistol ccw 4 veterans 2 flamers 2 laspistols ccws 60pts

Troops
    10 veterans 1 autocannon 3 grenade launchers sarg laspistol ccw 90
    10 veterans 1 autocannon 3 grenade launchers sarg laspistol ccw 90
    10 veterans 1 lascannon 3 flamers sarg laspistol ccw 95

Fast Attack
    Valkyrie lascannon heavy bolter sponsons 125

Heavy Support
    LRBT lascannon heavy bolter sponsons 180
    Extra Models: 11 men, i suggest 5 with lasguns and 3 missile launcher heavy weapon teams.

Total:680,
    just a possible starter list suggested with the models you have, also check out Lestat's thread http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-what-buy.html If nothing else at least use his advice regarding the modelling of heavy weapons teams. I know that every new player overloads on heavy and special weapons so the list i suggested to you above has a good number of them.

As I said before, Welcome and Good Luck!
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

hello

welcome aboard and I am sure that with the new IG codex book coming out there will be lots and lots of people playing them. Some because they like the IG and some because they will be suffering from new army disease.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Welcome to the forums! You've picked a good time to start IG! Be sure to check out the IG sub-forum here for answers to all your questions!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips, I dont fully understand what makes veterans etc as of yet but I've looked at Lestat's thread as well and some good tips about utilising the Heavy weapons.
    Q. How does a trooper with HVY Weapon operate in a 10 man squad if all others have las guns? does the whole squad need to not move if he's going to fire? can he choose different targets from the rest of the squad?

Q.with my first 20 troopers I have included 3 grenade launchers and one flamer, 2 seargants, 2 vox operators, all rest have las guns and grenades etc, is this ok ive heard some say dont take special weapons...WHY?

Q. Command squad... can you add to the standard 5 man team, eg commisar, advisors etc...is there a number limit? Also what is the point of conscripts and what help is a priest?
    Gosh, quite a few questions...sorry...total newby

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmonks View Post
    Q. How does a trooper with HVY Weapon operate in a 10 man squad if all others have las guns? does the whole squad need to not move if he's going to fire? can he choose different targets from the rest of the squad?
    If the Heavy Weapon Team wants to fire, then the unit cannot move. Lasguns can still fire as normal. For example, you have a Squad with 8 Lasguns and a Heavy Bolter team. The squad does not move. Autocannon can fire 36" and all Lasguns can fire one shot at 24" or two at 12". If the squad moves, only Lasguns can fire and only at 12".

Q.with my first 20 troopers I have included 3 grenade launchers and one flamer, 2 seargants, 2 vox operators, all rest have las guns and grenades etc, is this ok ive heard some say dont take special weapons...WHY?
    Check your codex (when you get it). A squad can only have 3 special weapons, 1 Sergeant and 1 Vox operator as a maximum. This will become clear when you read the rules.

Q. Command squad... can you add to the standard 5 man team, eg commisar, advisors etc...is there a number limit? Also what is the point of conscripts and what help is a priest?
    You add extra advisors etc to the 5 number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers...oops time to get the craft knife out and chop and change

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

forgot to say I bought a squad of Kasrkins on Wednesday, v nice..thought id stick them in the valk when I get it...with what ive got is it worth adding another 20 guard or a chimera next?
    Last edited by michaelmonks; May 1st, 2009 at 13:50.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

It's been generally pointed out on the Imperial Guard forum that Stormtroopers are not worth the points in the new codex. You could always use the Kasrkin Stormtroopers as Veterans instead, 'counting as'.

What you have now is almost a legal army list. You will need a 5-man command squad for the Infantry Squads and a 5-man Company Command Squad. Remember that you get lots of heavy weapons in the Heavy Weapon Squad boxed set, so you can make at least 6 by mixing bits with the Shock Troops box.

HQ Choice
    Company Command Squad

Infantry Platoon (1 Troops Choice)
    Platoon Command Squad
    Infantry Squad (8 men, 1 Heavy Weapon Team)

Veterans (1 Troops Choice)
    Veteran Squad (10 men, using Kasrkin models)

Valkyrie (1 Fast Attack)

Leman Russ (1 Heavy Support)

After getting two 5-man command squads, I would say buy a Chimera for your HQ Command. If you feel like converting a little, you can use one of those 10-man Infantry squads and create two 5-man command squads out of them. That would save you some cash.

Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast