Hello everyone - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello everyone

HE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone

I am new at warhammer and I am starting a High Elf army (I think they are great).

I hope to learn a lot from you, and get some more time for this hobby that's just awsome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

Hey there let me be the first to welcome you to LO, yes you will definitely learn a lot from the forums here especially from the High Elf forums so hopefully get all the info you can about the High Elves & enjoy your stay here.

HE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the welcoming, Bizkit.

I am sure I'll enjoy this forum very much, specially now that the 8th edition is coming out (which I'm still not a big fan... I passed two months reading about the 7th and getting delighted with it and now... bumm... 8th... rrrr)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Well, it is a good time to start. Just forget everything you read about 7th, and you may be able to adapt quicker then us oldtimers.

Welcome to LO, and hope you enjoy it as much as others have.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

HE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks SirKently.

For what I saw so far I think I'll adapt quickly (but first I'm going to paint a little bit before start playing), but, although I'm pretty much new to this game (I played Magic the Gathering for 12 years, but it's my first miniature's one) I think I'll wait and see a little bit before actually start playing with the High Elves, as it's my conviction so far that 8th edition will negatively affect HE, in comparison to 7th. And so I'll take the time to paint and improve my painting, see what are the best options for 8th edition, an follow all possible advices in the forum (and others) to, in the end, convince my other Magic mates to join Warhammer too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Welcome to LO!

I think High Elves will benefit from the new ed If you have any questions about anything, PM me. I will try to answer your questions

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

HE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nagash.

Actually, if you don't mind I have some questions because, after reading the 7th edition rules I really thought that HE were able to battle against every other army, as they were extremely balanced and their high cost models were actually real elite troupes. However, as I started to read about 8th edition (I haven't pre-ordeded the book yet... I'll wait for the starter set for the moment... and only then, maybe, I'll buy the hard cover one) I have the feeling that, without a enormous errata and/or new book, HE will get beaten very hard.

I already posted my concerns in the HE forum, but I'll quote them here, so you can give me your opinion:

I am a new Warhammer player. Well, technically I not even yet a player, as I only started collecting an army two month ago and, due to a chronic lack of time, didn’t even play a game. However I read a lot about Warhammer during the last months and I chose to buy some High Elves (just because I love their aspect, the dragons, the elite and the all the tactics needed to play them).

So, I really wanted to play 7th edition but now I think that I won’t play 8th edition (or, at least, until a new HE book is published) because I noted a few things, which I would like you guys to comment, as my knowledge of the game is still very limited:

a) Percentages: Although we will probably get some exception regarding this, will have to field lots of core units if we want a competitive block (which is bad).

b) HE lost core attack power: If our spears were in combat with another unit of spears in 7th ed we attacked in 3 ranks (2 for spears + 1 bonus) and the enemy attacked in 2, so we had 33% plus attacks. In 8th edition, the same scenario is 4 ranks (2 ranks + spears + bonus) vs 3 ranks (thus only 25% plus attacks). Furthermore, as we generally will lack horde size units, this could be 4 vs 4 ranks…

c) Magic is leveled for all armies (we lost our superiority): Ok, I don’t know the spells or High Magic spells, HE were amazing in Magic and now they are leveled with all others (weren’t we supposed to be the best at it?). Why? We can only get 12 PD at one time but it’s difficult for us to get more of them in the middle of the magic phase; all enemy armies, even if they suck at magic, will have a lot of dispel dice if we have a lot of PD; and there’s little point in taking high level mages (so, armies with very cheap low level mages will beat us).

d) Goodbye Eagles: If March Blocking isn’t automatic I think that Eagles will lose a great deal of importance. To bad, I loved them and they were excellent in our main strategies.

e) No more guess range for shooting?: We’ll massacred by catapults and the legendary aim of our Repeater Bolt Throwers well, it won’t be so legendary after all (everyone will be expert at aiming). Conclusion: even our artillery will lose relative interest compared to every other army.

f) ASF becomes useless: If casualties are removed from the rear, allowing for attack backs, what’s the point of ASF? We’ll get beaten up, have fewer models, fewer attacks and probably lose many, many combats. ASF was excellent to balance out lack of numbers and high cost models. With casualties being removed this way, ASF loses it sense.

g) Great Weapons with ASF will be pointless: SM and WL will lose interest, so we will only keep the PG (I happy I’m still starting and I didn’t buy any special unit models yet…). Considering the need for lots of core and the need to create a great block of PG will have, what, a total of 5 units in game for a 2,000 points game?

h) Cavalry is dying: Only riders attack in the rear rank and second rank only has one attack, we need two trnks to deny rank bonus and flack charges don’t negate front attacks. Conclusion: DP will lose half their interest if used (and, if fielded, I think they will) in two ranks and Silver Helms are too costly if compared to other armies… Also, with the new charging system, every charge will be a matter of chance, rather than strategy.

i) Characters: We simply won’t have any points left for great characters or dragons…

As I see it with my inexperienced eyes, everything that made the HE a special race is broken – we are no longer great in magic (if compared to everyone else), our lack of numbers will be even more of a problems, our superior cavalry is almost useless (poor Bretonia), will die (even more) from catapults, and eagles (only real way to keep enemies apart) won’t do their job anymore. Plus, high leadership is no longer that important due to the modifications of fear, terror and when large enemy units get stubborn just because their are more then us. Plus, we will be unable to field very small units (we’ll always need two ranks and, if used with cavalry, lose a lot of attacks with it) and we’ll be utterly destroyed by everyone with the strength of numbers on their side. Not to speak about D6+4 terrain (an excellent way for GW selling more and more stuff, but not very reassuring for beginners).

Please, tell me if my analysis is correct and if I missed any good side for HE with the 8th edition.
    What do you think that will be the real future for HE (before a new book is released, and, even then I have serious doubts…)?

Finally, I would like to thank CaptainSarathai for his rules' post, and I apologize if my lack of experience conducted to bad conclusions in this post. I’m really concerned about HE (as if they are going to be that bad I don’t think I’m going to play Warhammer because they are the only army that really interests me).
    Thanks for all your advices!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by HE! View Post
    Thanks for all your advices!
    Best thing is to not care about it until the edition is out The rules WILL change, nothing we could do. I understand your thoughts, but still, Undead will suffer even worse (according to me).

The key is to let it inspire you rather than the opposite. Think about all the new opportunities to build lists you've never tried out before! And still, if you have friends playing WHFB, you could always play some 7th ed games with them if they allowed you to

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

+ Reply to Thread