Hi There, Considering Starting 40k, any advice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi There, Considering Starting 40k, any advice?

Hi All,

Im new to warhammer, ive been looking at it for years and have finally decided that i want to look into collecting and playing. My concerns are that i wont be able to find games in my area and that im soon 24 and completly new to the game and have no idea where to start.

40k has always been the game that interests me, what is its modeern day following like, especially in the uk? I can only find things from years ago.

Also where would u recomend i begin collecting. Ideally i would like to start an IG army. But obviously have no experience painting or peicing together an army. Would it be more sensible to collect another army with which to make my mistakes an terrible first attempts at decorating or dive right in on my army?

Also how much money would i need to get started roughly?

I know its a small barrage of questions but i thought i'd put it forwards

Many thanks

2. LikeBlackhat liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mercian welcome to LO!

I'm sure there will be other more experienced players in to help later, but as I saw this thread I thought i'd pop in and give my two cents.

I live in the US so I am not sure how your gaming community is over there, but I'm sure there is a gaming club around you that meets regularly. If you go to the GW website under the Warhammer 40,000 link, and the Lord of the Rings link there should be a "store locator" button. You can put in your address, zip code, whatever you use over there and it will show you the closest stores that have gaming communities, either GW affiliated or independent (make sure to click the independent box though). I think this would be the best place to start, as you can pop your head in meet some people and if there are multiple stores around try them all out! You never know what gaming group you will like the most.

I know a lot of people say more 40k is played in the US and more Fantasy is played in the UK, but if I can find Fantasy games around me fairly easily I'm sure you'll be able to find some 40k games I wouldn't worry too much unless your nowhere near other people...... even then i'm sure you could find some one haha

For collecting it's really up to you, I was the same way as you I always looked on their website, read battle reports, just took me a few years and finally right before starting college I bought an Ork army. Piecing together the models is fairly simple and pretty quick. All you need is a few simple tools and some glue and your good to go. Painting, well we all have to start somewhere. You have to look at it as something you have to practice, so no matter where you start there's always room for improvement. So go with the army that you like the most, I did a check list and ended up with Orks, if your set on IG then go for IG! They're a very strong army at this point so you won't be getting crushed when your starting off and if you like their playing style go for it.

For and IG army i'm not sure about cost wise. It really depends on what size army you want to start with, most people recommend starting at a smaller size to learn the basics of the game and grow from their. I realize now I should have done that because my army is just too big, and not enough of it is painted! Haha but oh well it keeps me busy when I'm not up at school. If you have more basic questions feel free to respond here, if not I would recommend going into the specific army threads to look around and ask a few questions to IG players or other armies your interested in.

Good luck ! Hope you end up getting into the hobby it's a lot of fun
    Last edited by shabang22; January 9th, 2011 at 17:46.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercian_40k View Post
    Hi All,

Im new to warhammer, ive been looking at it for years and have finally decided that i want to look into collecting and playing. My concerns are that i wont be able to find games in my area and that im soon 24 and completly new to the game and have no idea where to start.
    For starters I'd reccomend joining some sort of forum. An online community to help you adress your concerns and to give you advice in general. I've heard some good things about Librarium Online

But in all seriousness joining a forum was a good start, and I know some really helpful guys in the Imperial Guard section that I'm sure would be more than willing to help you should you start a thread down there.

40k has always been the game that interests me, what is its modeern day following like, especially in the uk? I can only find things from years ago.
    Here in Canada I know that on average of at least the people I know (not including the people I met war gaming) about 10% of people know about the game, of those 3% used to play and 3% still play. Odds are you already know one or two people that play some sort of GW produced game, and will the GW presence in the UK those numbers are only gonna go up.

Also where would u recomend i begin collecting. Ideally i would like to start an IG army. But obviously have no experience painting or peicing together an army. Would it be more sensible to collect another army with which to make my mistakes an terrible first attempts at decorating or dive right in on my army?
    I would reccomend you start with your Imperial Guard if that's what you would want to get into.

1st of all if you start yourself off with something that you're either less interested or not interested in you have little chance of sticking with the game.

2nd Armies don't come cheap. If you're willing to spend that much on an army that you'd pay for another then you could just prepare yourself for failure with your early purchases and if you really screw them up buy another kit! You (hopefully) aren't going to screw up enough models to justify that much of a cost. Just steer clear from the Valkyrie/ Vendetta kit for a bit and there shouldn't be anything too challenging.

Also how much money would i need to get started roughly?
    An average game is played at about 1500-1750pts. For someone just getting started I would reccomend you start around the 1000pt mark which depending on how you build your army should run you a little over 200-300 bucks Canadian for a decent build. Adjust your currency accordingly.

I know its a small barrage of questions but i thought i'd put it forwards

Many thanks
    Hope that helps.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

+ Reply to Thread